Thread: Laptop Keyboard Failure

Laptop Keyboard Failure

Hello ,

I am trying to fix a LENOVO NX7400 . i thinnk It has Keyboard Failure and do not work at all I have tried getting drivers for keyboard of the internet to reinstall with no success. Also the notebook did not come with any matching documentation or software. I have scanned the machine for viruses using kaspersky 2009 with no major issues showing. Keys do not work prior to being in windows either ( for setup or boot menu)Would it be likely to be a hardware failure (keyboard, motherboard) or corrupt or missing driver/software for loading device on boot ?Any help would be good on this. Thanks in advance

Re: Laptop Keyboard Failure

I would most probably try with linux live CD or BartPE XP live CD or DOS bootable disc and test the keyboard on those operating systems. If the keyboard works fine, then i would have only option to reinstall Windows as the issue may be is Windows install related or drivers related.

mostly laptops keyboards have 2 points of failure . In most of the cases the screws at the bottom of case are the promary cause of Looseness many laptops. Tighten them up. Seriously. That'll cure 90% of these cases.If that doesn't take care of the problem, the keyboard may be rubbing against the RF cage that covers the CPU. To cure that problem I hand-modified the RF cage so that it doesn't touch the keyboard, but that may not be practical for you as it involves some disassembly of the machine.

I would like to give a good suggest to anyone facing same problem of replacing the keyboard. mostly keyboard are really cheap in used working condition from some of the online auction sites.

Most of the laptops will have a couple of screws on the bottom that hold the keyboard in, possibly. Will also need to remove the hinge/power button cover between the keyboard and the lcd. Might have some screws holding it in from the bottom, might not, also check under the battery at the back for any hidden screws. It may simply pop off and on... then you'll possibly find two screws under that holding the keyboard in. Once the screws are out, simply lift it slightly to find where the ribbon cable plugs in. And gently lift the locking latch on the keyboard plug. The ribbon will then easily slide out. And simply do the reverse to install the new one, making sure to push that plug lock back down.

This is just a generic assumption, as I am not real real familiar with the 5570, but they are all alot alike. Also note, when removing the power button cover, just in case there may be a ribbon cable under it attatching it to the mainboard, if you pop it off, look under it before pulling it too far. Wouldn't want to rip a cable if there is one there.

you can contact your delaer all warranty work is to be handle by them, not by manufacturer . You'll probably want to send it in to be checked out for damage and/or cleaned if liquid got in, because that's a disaster waiting to happen. You could always order a new keyboard and give it a try to see what happens, but random keystrokes when using an external keyboard is concerning.

Keyboard replacement is pretty easy - couple of screws on the bottom and pop the latches with a credit card or small flat screwdriver along the top of the keyboard holding it in, then pull it out. Detach the cable and reverse steps.

it seems like a hardware failure. As for windows device manager recognizing it as a ps2 keyboard it is working right as my laptop recognizes this too