Thread: Sony Vaio not reading any discs, model NR11S/S

Sony Vaio not reading any discs, model NR11S/S

Hello

I have a Little problem that my sony vaio is not recognizing any disc .it is a new just bought a week back. and this read any of the disc like whether be it pirated cd /dvd or orignal cd /dvd any kind of disc is not playable on my vaio. althought initialy I did manage to upload some software at first but now I cant even do that. The Sony help page needs registration which my firewall informs me is unsafe! Windows media player does not see discs nor do they appear in my computer - C Drive. If I take it back to the shop (PC World) I fear I may not see it again for weeks! Any ideas anyone - thanks in advance.

Re: Sony Vaio not reading any discs, model NR11S/S

hello You forgot to mention that os ? well any ways check in the device manager is there any yellow under your cd/dvd drive ?

ok i tried doing something in device manager and it tell me that there is a problem with dvd drive ( a scan tells me it is missing or corrupt and it has a yellow hazard symbol next to it) Windows cannot fix this and I tried a system restore which failed.PHow do I uninstall / reinstall this driver and solve this problem thanks

Using Device Manager

To fix this error, first try to update the driver from the Device Manager. To open Device Manager, right-click My Computer on your Desktop, and then on the Hardware tab, select the Device Manager button.

In the Device Manager window, identify the CD or DVD drive item (with Yellow exclamation mark), right-click on it and select Update Driver. Follow the screen instructions to update the device driver and restart your PC.

Before you use this method, uninstall all CD or DVD writing or recording programs. Deleting the corrupted registry entries might cause problems with any other CD or DVD writing or recording programs that are installed on your computer. Uninstalling these programs before you start will help you avoid any problems that removing the registry entries might cause. You can reinstall these programs after the problem is resolved.

This method provides step-by-step instructions for how to use Registry Editor to delete the following corrupted Registry entries:

• UpperFilters
    • LowerFilters

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
    • Start Registry Editor

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
    1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.
    6. Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
    7. If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
    8. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
    9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    10. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    11. Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    12. The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.
    13. Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
    14. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.

• On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    • Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    • Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    • The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
    • Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer
    Restart your computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVD drive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receive an error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD or DVD writing or recording software.

The "lower" and "upper" filters can be problematic. If the registry isn't cleaned up after a driver is removed, or done incorrectly, or etc...it can create a failed device problem. Very annoying. Not MS fault and is usually a incorrectly removed driver or a driver installed as a filter that has problems. In general, if your device (like CD or DVD) suddenly stops working, examine what software you have removed or added recently and it's probably the culprit. Registry editing is often necessary to get the system back to normal, or sometimes a restore can be a viable solutions if it's from the right restore point, like before the problem driver was installed.