Thread: What is the Difference between Blu-ray and HD-DVD?

What is the Difference between Blu-ray and HD-DVD?

Hello friends,

I heard that Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD), is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association,But can anyone tell me what is the difference between the Blu-ray disc and HD-DVD, According to my knowledge it is just the storage place and Blu-ray provides the format for recording a high-definition video.

Correct me if I am wrong!
    Thanks in Advance!

Re: What is the Difference between Blu-ray and HD-DVD?

Hello Maryna,

you are right,Blu-ray, known as Blu-ray Disc (BD) is the name of a Next-generation optical disc format. The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. The big difference is that,this format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc.

As with conventional CDs and DVDs, Blu-ray plans to provide a wide range of formats including ROM/R/RW. The following formats are part of the Blu-ray Disc specification:

BD-ROM - read-only format for distribution of HD movies, games, software, etc.
    BD-R - recordable format for HD video recording and PC data storage.
    BD-RE - rewritable format for HD video recording and PC data storage.

There's also plans for a BD/DVD hybrid format, which combines Blu-ray and DVD on the same disc so that it can be played in both Blu-ray players and DVD players.

If u will ask whether Blu-ray may replace HD-DVD then I will say yes because the Blu-ray format has received broad support from the major movie studios as a successor to today's DVD format. In fact, seven of the eight major movie studios (Disney, Fox, Warner, Paramount, Sony, Lionsgate and MGM) have released titles in the Blu-ray format. Many studios have also announced that they will begin releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month. For more information about Blu-ray movies, check out our Blu-ray movies section which offers information about new and upcoming Blu-ray releases, as well as what movies are currently available in the Blu-ray format.

However, the two formats (Blu-ray and DVD) will most likely co-exist for quite some time until HDTVs become more widespread.

Thanks for your replies, But can you tell me while reading its sensor light is capable of reading this much data from the only one side of the CD.