Thread: IDE to SATA converter problem

question IDE to SATA converter problem

Hi ,

I have recently purchased the following product through ebay .
    IDE to SATA 2 IDE HDD converter cable adapter.
    I have recently purchased a assembled PC locally with following configuration.
    Mercury PI945GCM Mother Board with intel Dual Core E2200 ( 2.2 GHz ) processor with 2 GB Ram.
    I have used an old 40 GB IDE HDD (SAMSUNG SP0411N - Slave) on which i have installed XP SP 2 in only one of the IDE slots with a Samsung DVD ROM drive as master . The system is up and running. I also have a old seagate 40 GB IDE HDD which i want to connect to the mother board.Since the mother board has only one IDE and four SATA, I can connect only one IDE HDD. I have used the item purchased through ebay to connect the seagate HDD to a SATA slot. Incidently since there is only one power supply connector left, i have used a 1-2 Y power connector cable using which I have connected the power supply to the converter adapter and the seagte HDD.
    Following is the power connections to the devices.
    1. Power suppy - Samsung DVD drive
    2. Power Supply - Samsung 40 GB HDD
    3. Power supply - Floppy drive
    4. Power supply - used 1 - 2 Y connector to connect the seagate HDD and the IDE to SATA converter.
    SO far I have tried the following on seagate HDD pins ( Master, Slave and cable select ).
    I have tried all four SATA slots.
    The second seagate drive is not recognised either in the BIOS or in the XP. I have used administrative tools to install the Seagate drive with no avail.
    Please help me and tell what i am missing ?
    If anyone has successfully used such item , please guide me.
    Thanks and Regards,

K.S. Ravi

Re: IDE to SATA converter problem

hi

4. Power supply - used 1 - 2 Y connector to connect the seagate HDD and the IDE to SATA converter.

you have used used 1 - 2 Y connector , did you check that both hard disk getting power??

i have used the y connector , one for the IDE to SATA converter and the other for the Seagate HDD, The Samsung HDD is getting supply separately from another power connector. The IDE to SATA converter requires separate power supply. The IDE to SATA unit comes with power connector cable which should be connected to one of the SMPS power connectors. If my understanding is correct, the converter unit has a regulator chip on the board to convert 12V to 5V. To explain again, one end of the Y connector is going to the SMPS power connector. on the other side, out of two connectors, one is going to the converter board and the other to the Seagate HDD.

Hello see the below image :

The IDE to SATA 2 IDE HDD converter cable adapter convert a single 12V input to FDD and HDD power connectors with 5V and 12V outputs . have you tried by connecting the DVD- Writer through IDE to SATA converter?

hi
    you have tried Master, Slave and cable select but it nothing to do for sata connection . now possibles are :
    1. your seagate hard disk
    .....check your seagate hard is working by placing it on IDE port INSTEAD CD ROM . so remove cd rom and check it

2. hoping your seagate hard disk working well.
    .....then try to connect your Samsung HDD to IDE to SATA converter and check it in bios .
    ....if its not detected ten problem is in your IDE to SATA converter.

i am attaching a word document which gives photograph and technical details of the IDE to SATA converter card i am using

thanks a lot for your suggestion.
    i will try that. in the mean time it may not be possible to connect the samsung drive to the converter bcos it has os on it. if the problem were to be with the converter card, then the system may not boot bcos seagate drive has no os on it which will be connected to the lone IDE port by removing the DVD rom drive. and the samsung drive which has os on it is not recognised by the system. I am fairly confident about the seagate drive bcos, it was recently removed from my working system and has some data on it , but not os.

Hi,
    Ravi you can follow a step wise procedure since we don't know the root of the problem.
    1) Check both the seagate hard-disk by connecting one by one. In this case we will come to know whether both of them are working.

2) As you said you are using your DVD writer as your master and what about the 1st HDD ?? is it slave or master ...

3) you can use the sata to IDE converter for connecting the DVD writer and the two IDE ports for the two HDD's.

Please check your jumper settings for your 1st HDD.

hi,

i have just finished the following

1. i disconnected the DVD ROM drive and connected the seagate HDD as master and samsung as slave. Both seagate and samsung are recognised in the BIOS. But the system would not boot. windows goes to safe mode and stops. even the safe mode would not start.

2. Next i disconnected the samsung HDD and used the converter with it. Seagate is with IDE port. Now only seagate is recognised in BIOS and not SAMSUNG. Obviously the system would not start bcos seagate has no os on it and the samsung is not recognised bcos converter is not working.

3. Now i have come back to the original position i.e., back to sqaure one. DVD ROM - Master and Samsung HDD - Slave with IDE slot. Seagate with converter in SATA slot one ( out of four ) . Now everything is working fine except that seagate with converter is neither showing up in BIOS nor XP SP2.
    and i am at wits end.
    I am wondering whether these converters are really worth it. bcos for the past four days i am searching the net day in and day out and i have hardly come across any success story with these converters.

ravi

also i have tried connecting the DVD ROM drive through converter and the DVD ROM was not recognised in BIOS. This step i have finished in the beginning.

hi,

i noticed 4 people have reviewed the data sheet of the " IDE to SATA converter card ". I am reproducing below content from the data sheet.
    • Built-in On/Off switch
    • Two LED indicators showing operation status of 5V and 12V
    unquote
    There is no built-in on/off switch which i could notice.
    There is only one red led indicator which comes on when powered up.
    I thought i should share this information with you all.
    Initially i thought of another solution for this problem, of using a Multi port IDE PCI card which costs between Rs 800-1000. Since this IDE SATA converter was available for Rs 299 on ebay ( Rs 380 including shipping and tax ), i ordered for the same. Now if i go in for a PCI Multi port IDE card @ appr. Rs 1000 ( With Uncertainty ) again, I would be spending Rs 1400 for 40 GB ( with uncertainty ) whereas I could have got a new SATA 160 GB @ appro. Rs 2000 without all these problems. But i really want to make this damn converter work, whatever it takes.

Thanks

ravi

Hi Ravi,
    I think you should visit the company's website or any technical support from the company to get the issue resolved. I guess the major issue here is compatibility, either your motherboard must not be detecting it or there must be some prior settings to be done before using the converter.
    Read the manuals properly and check for the compatibility.

Affection Re: IDE to SATA converter problem

HI RAVI
    I ALSO FACED THE SAME PROBLAM.MY MOTHER BOARD HAS ONE IDE SLOT AND TWO SATA SLOTS . I HAVE ONE HARDDRIVE AND TWO CDROMS.I ALSO PURCHASED ONE SATA TO PATA DEVICE FROM EBAY.INSPITE OF MY MANY EFFORTS IT FAILED TO WORK.MY COMPUTER NEVER DETECTED IT. ONE DAY I CHANGED MY BIOS SETTING TO ( SATA BEFORE PATA ). THAN I ATTACHED MY HDD AND CDROM TO IDE.THAN I ATTACHED THE DEVICE TO MY CDWRITER AND CHANGED ITS SETTING TO SINGLE i.e NITHER MASTER NOR SLAVE. LO IT WORKED. TILL THAN IT IS WORKING EXCELLENTLY WITHOUT ANY PROBLAM.PL NOTE THAT MY HDD NEVER WORKED WITH THIS DEVICE. IT IS CDROM WHICH IS WORKING.YOU MAY TRY IT.
    Last edited by ashokluthra01.; 15-02-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling mistake