Thread: Computer behaving ODD

Computer behaving ODD

I don't know what is wrong with my computer, it's an old computer and i want to use it now. It has No Operating System installed, it's fans spin for half a second. Don't think it is dead because there is a light on the motherboard.

Re: Computer behaving ODD

Dont assume things if there is light on the motherboard means it is getting its power from the power supply.

what you can do is reset the power cable coming from the power supply to the motherboard and give it another shot. If it's still not working, set aside some time, and pull each and every component out of the computer, leaving only the speaker and the power supply (all drives, all expansion cards, the processor, the memory, everything except power supply, speaker, and the MB itself) and attempt to turn it on. If you receive a series of beeps, this is the CMOS telling you that you've got serious problems.

After hearing the beeps, install the memory and processor, try it again.. should hear beeps again, this is still a good thing.

After that install the video card, this time you may hear beeps, but you should also get a display, and it'll actually tell you the error along with beeping.

If everything works as been said then it's just installing one component at a time until it boots fully.

If you install a device and the computer stops working again, then pull it out and you get a reaction, then you know where the problem lies. It could just be a bad connection somewhere along the way, and pulling everything and re-seating will fix it.

If the fan you are mentioning is the CPU fan then it must have been overheated,
    try plugging it in to a similar port if available and if the chord can reach.

Also just because there is a light on the motherboard, doesn't mean it is not dead, because I have a crashed hard drive that is totally ruined and will not work at all and when I plug it in, the light on it comes on. So the motherboard COULD be dead, even if it is new.

Well i think that either your power supply isn't giving enough power to totally boot your computer or some plugs aren't plugged correctly or your processor's heatsink and fan. Also check whether they are placed properly.