Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fix bad sectors or clusters on hard drive ?

How to fix bad sectors or clusters on hard drive ?

Few days before I bought a new hard drive. I want to replace it with my old one but I am facing problems. While copying data from old hard drive using to the new one, it gives me lots of errors:

Error 1561 partition improperly dismounted

Error 1534 cluster crosslinked or not allocated

Error 1609 lost clusters

Only thing I've tried is running chkdsk, I've typed chkdsk /f but it found nothing at all.

Can you explain me why is this happening?

Re: How to fix bad sectors or clusters on hard drive ?

Bad sectors are marked by software such as scandisk. As the program is testing the data occasionally it hits an area on the disk that cannot normally be read - hence it is marked as 'bad'.

Normally these things cannot be removed as they are actual physical imperfections on the disk. Be aware that if these show up during scans, your disk may be approaching the end of it's life, backup and check frequently!

However, scandisk and some other programs are not perfect and they occasionally will mark sectors as bad even though they are not. You can check for this using some programs (don't know which one).

Note: Scandisk marks bad sectors so that the Operating system no longer uses the clusters and it safeguards that no data gets lost.

Windows comes with a built-in hard disk utility software that scans your hard disk for errors and attempts to fix them.

1. On My Computer, select the disk drive that you want to diagnose and repair.
    2. Right click on it and select Properties
    3. Go to Tools tab.
    4. Click on the "Check Now" button under "Error Checking Status".
    5. Depending up on your choice, choose either "Automatically fix file system errors" or "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors."
    6. Then click on Start.

Flobo HDD Bad Sector Repair 1.5: It performs repairing of the bad sectors of Hard Disk Drives regenerating HDD surface. This is not a CHKDSK or ScanDisk like utility! It does not mark the bad sectors in the file system and hidden them! It regenerates magnetic surface! So it repairs the bad sectors! It's a very useful tool for advanced case of damaged media to be used when data recovery software can't perform read.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
    Flobo HDD Bad Sector Repair 1.5: It performs repairing of the bad sectors of Hard Disk Drives regenerating HDD surface. This is not a CHKDSK or ScanDisk like utility! It does not mark the bad sectors in the file system and hidden them! It regenerates magnetic surface! So it repairs the bad sectors! It's a very useful tool for advanced case of damaged media to be used when data recovery software can't perform read.
    I've always heard that bad sectors are permanent. And when the disk is having bad sectors, it cannot be fixed.

Increasing bad sectors is also a sign of failing HD and also it signifies the user to replace the HD.

use software called kill disk it relocates the sectors of hard disk and corners the bad one .It consumes some time but u will get a positive result
    f the bad sector is caused by physical damage like electric shock or by rough handling it cannot be repaired.

I had read the all your replies and I found that may be here I could get the answer to my question.

Can anyone tell me that every hard disk has the Bad Sector? and if yes then what is the Permanent solution on it?, and when do we come to know that there is Bad Sector in my Hard disk?

Thanks please help me because i have googled for it and I didn't get the satisfactory answer anywhere.

ohmy Re: How to fix bad sectors or clusters on hard drive ?

Quote Originally Posted by SANDESH49 View Post
    Windows comes with a built-in hard disk utility software that scans your hard disk for errors and attempts to fix them.

1. On My Computer, select the disk drive that you want to diagnose and repair.
    2. Right click on it and select Properties
    3. Go to Tools tab.
    4. Click on the "Check Now" button under "Error Checking Status".
    5. Depending up on your choice, choose either "Automatically fix file system errors" or "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors."
    6. Then click on Start.

ARRAGH! That is very bad advice; the last thing you ever want to do with a bad drive is to run chkdsk - that will only make things worse! Typically, the system will delete all affected files. (Google for "chkdsk deleted files")

How do I recover hard disks involving Scandisk and Chkdsk error

What is disk checking and repair software such as Scandisk, Chkdsk and Fsck?

Programs such as Scandisk, Chkdsk and Fsck are software utilities that are designed to find different types of errors and correct some file system errors on hard disks. Among other things, Scandisk checks the disk platters for defects and also looks for lost clusters that are sometimes created when a program aborts. In DOS, you can run Scandisk by entering scandisk at the prompt and pressing the Enter key. In Windows 9X, you can run Scandisk by selecting Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Scandisk.

If a computer is shutdown incorrectly (e.g. it crashes or there is a power cut etc) then this disk checking software will often start automatically the next time the computer is started. It will scan the hard disk and detect any errors to the file system and then attempt to repair them. On older Windows systems such as Windows 98, you are given an option as to whether you want the repair utility to run. On more modern Windows systems such as Windows 2000 and Windows XP, the repair utility will run automatically.

The disk checking program is not capable of diagnosing the correct problem (i.e. a faulty hard disk) and misdiagnoses it as a file system problem, and then attempts to (often automatically!) repair the problem. Data that was often fully recoverable now becomes damaged, fragmented and unrecoverable.

Why should I not run this disk checking software?

As mentioned in the above paragraph, Scandisk, Chkdsk and Fsck are software utilities that are designed to correct file system errors on hard disks. They are not and can not correct non-file system errors on hard disks.

Where many people become confused is that because their computer is triggering a disk checking utility, they automatically assume (as does the software) that they have a problem with the file system. Infact they may have a problem with their hard disk that has in turn caused a problem with the file system. So, although the symptoms are in most cases identical (i.e. the automatic triggering of Scandisk etc), the cause of the problem is rather different. In these instances, running disk checking software is to be avoided at all costs.

But my disk is triggering this utility, what should I do?

Do not allow the utility to run (watch the boot process and press ESC to cancel the utility when prompted - you have 10 seconds to do this), instead the computer will continue to boot into the Operating System. Then back up your important files to another different media (e.g. CD ROM).
    To recover files, you want Spinrite, there is nothing else even close. It's sole function is to recover the data from bad sectors, so that you can get those files copied off onto a new drive that is not failing. I work in IT, and trust me, this is the ticket to repairing bad hard drives so files can be copied, and for checking to see the health of your good drives.

Sorry, but I had to create an account to say this, lest others get their files deleted trying to fix hard drives!

Cheers,
    ...Dono

As soon as any drive starts developing bad sectors, it's usually a sign of its impending demise (it's going to completely fail).

Best advice from me is to get all the data off it as soon as you can, and transfer to a new drive.

I would be very dubious of any software that claims to be able to 'repair' a failing hard drive. Software cannot repair hardware :-)

Chris

the bad sectors of hdd cannot be fixed but we can stop them from spreading and failing the complete drive .
    Use a software called kill disk ,it corners the bad sectors ,and rearrange the good clusters.
    for example ur having 80gb hdd in which 2 gb is bad sectors spread ed randomly on the disk. Software what it does it ,it deletes all the clusters and
    rearrange them cornering the bad sectors,you lose 2 gb of space but the disease of bad sectors is gone.
    REMEMBER IF U USE KILL DISK IT IS FIRE SURE THAT U WILL LOSE DATA AND NO ONE CAN RECOVER IT.AFTER USING KILL DISK THE HARDDISK STATUS WILL BE RAW AS IF YOU BOUGHT A NEW HARD DISK . YOU HAVE TO FORMAT IT AS THE FILE SYSTEM IS GONE.
    Last edited by in_msz; 01-02-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by in_msz View Post
    the bad sectors of hdd cannot be fixed but we can stop them from spreading and failing the complete drive .
    Use a software called kill disk ,it corners the bad sectors ,and rearrange the good clusters.
    for example ur having 80gb hdd in which 2 gb is bad sectors spread ed randomly on the disk. Software what it does it ,it deletes all the clusters and
    rearrange them cornering the bad sectors,you lose 2 gb of space but the disease of bad sectors is gone.
    REMEMBER IF U USE KILL DISK IT IS FIRE SURE THAT U WILL LOSE DATA AND NO ONE CAN RECOVER IT.AFTER USING KILL DISK THE HARDDISK STATUS WILL BE RAW AS IF YOU BOUGHT A NEW HARD DISK . YOU HAVE TO FORMAT IT AS THE FILE SYSTEM IS GONE.
    Did you meant this http://www.killdisk.com/

But this is a Hard Drive Eraser only ?

HD Doctor Suite are good tools for hard drive diagnosis and hdd repair

pcbugfixer Guest

l33t Re: How to fix bad sectors or clusters on hard drive ?

G'Day Folks,

Took me awhile to sort out my registration so I could post on this Thread, alas I now can.

I read through all the comments on repairing HDD and would say this:

1. If a HDD has a mechanical failure, i.e. makes a clunking or clanking type noise (similar to a knocking noise) while you are attempting to use it,
    or it does not power on or spin at all, then the HDD most likely is "Kaput"

2. If however the HDD is recognized by the BIOS and it does spin, then there is hope.

I have used Spinrite 5 and 6 from the Steve Gibson site as well as the HDD REgenerator both v1.51 and v1.71 from Dmitriy Primochenko many a time with success. The URL's I have provided are the defaults for their location.

Yes HDD's can be repaired and Bad Sectors can be recovered ! - It just takes a long time to do so and may not be economical to do so.

When I say a long time I mean an 80GB HDD can take a week or more depending on the number of bad sectors found that need to be recovered.

3. another point to remember, is that after the repair, and can be attempted before, is to download the "Low Level Formatter" from the HDD's manufacturers web site and load this on a bootable media (HDD, USB or CD or DVD) to be able to test and perform the low level format, and then run the fdisk to see if the failed HDD can accept partitioning , followed by a re-boot and then attempt a normal format with the /u (unconditional) option.
    E.G. at the cmd prompt type format ?: /u (replace the ? with the drive letter on which the HDD is mounted)

If it performs and does complete the tasks in item 3, which is good and you have your HDD back.

If attempts in item 3 fail, then you can try the Spinrite or the HDD Regenerators, as the sectors must be in working order before any partitioning or formating can be applied.

I am currently running such a repair on an 80GB HDD (Seagate) with the older HDD Regenerator v1.51. It has so far run for 3+ days (continuously) and is at the 2352Mb of the 80000 (80GB) and has so far discovered and repaired 29428 bad sectors.

This is not the first time I have used these utilities to repair HDD, this one is the 63rd HDD with the previous attempts being successful with 51 out of the 62 attempts.

In closing, I will say to all the sceptics that they are wrong and HDD's can be repaired, if you have the know-how and patients to do so.

BTW: I also do forensic file recoveries from HDD's and recently recovered a file that the User had deleted 9 month ago.
    I must try the Flobo HDD Bad Sector Repair 1.5

pcbugfixer
    Last edited by pcbugfixer; 02-12-2009 at 07:03 AM.

pcbugfixer Guest

star Re: How to fix bad sectors or clusters on hard drive ?

G'Day Folks,

Thought I would post the results of my HDD v1.51 recovery run.

I had started the run on Monday 8:35 am and it ran continuously until Sunday finishing at 6.45 am, That means it took 6 days to complete.

To be specific, it took 142:10 hours (142 hours 10 min)

It scanned 76319Mb, or 156301445 sectors, and fixed all discovered bad sectors, which numbered 57937.

The HDD was a IDE Seagate Barracuda ATA V - Model: ST380024A - Serial No: 3KB13XF3 - Firmware: 3.31

The HDD originally was mounted in a Power MAC and got zapped with a power surge.

The HDD Regenerator was run on a Win XP Pro SP3 PC booting from a FDD with HDD Regenerator 1.51

The HDD now allowed partitioning and formatting.

Have fun
    pcbugfixer

Hi, I've just stumbled across this thread from an internet search.

I have begun using Spinrite and at the moment, and I stress at the moment, it's saying that it will take 84 hours to complete!!!!!!! it's a 160 gig HDD.

Is it healthy to leave my laptop on for such a long period of time, even if it is for the greater good?

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast