Thread: Wd Hard Drive Acting Up

Wd Hard Drive Acting Up

I need so big help.

I have over 500GB of movies, music, games and school work on this thing and have spent many nights trying to fix it so I will now ask you the pros to help me out.

1. My external is a Western Digital My Book® Essential Edition 1 TB.

2. I can't remember what it was set to but I did have it plugged into my Mac Airport Extreme and had it as a wireless hard drive. It was running perfectly until Clunk, nothing. (An no it wasn't a real sound).

3. I have tried reinstalling all the drivers...nothing.
    4. I have tried reformating my windows xp..nothing.

5. I have now hooked it up to my mac and ran disk utility. The mac recognized it when it is plugged in through usb. I ran disk repair, it said there was nothing wrong with it.

Questions:
    How come I can't see it on my Mac as a hard drive in which I can edit?
    How come I can't see in on my PC?
    And Idealiy I would like to have it hooked up to my airport extreme to get it wireless again.

Please help....So many hours wasted and potentially lost data.

I'm in hard drive hell.

-Matt

Re: Wd Hard Drive Acting Up

Same problem. This from WD Answer ID 1664:
    Important: The user serviceable enclosure will only work with replacement hard drives from Western Digital. Inserting a non-Western Digital hard drive into the enclosure could cause damage or data loss.

So Hitachi drives will not work at all. After talking to tech support, it seems you have to have them send you a replacement disk in order for it to work.
    I'm looking for a way around this since I want to upgrade my dual 500 G drives with dual 1 TB drives also. Maybe they throw something onto the boot sector that tells the MyBook controller what to do, who knows? The search goes on.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Re: Wd Hard Drive Acting Up

Quote Originally Posted by HardDriveHell View Post
    I need so big help.

I have over 500GB of movies, music, games and school work on this thing and have spent many nights trying to fix it so I will now ask you the pros to help me out.

1. My external is a Western Digital My Book® Essential Edition 1 TB.

2. I can't remember what it was set to but I did have it plugged into my Mac Airport Extreme and had it as a wireless hard drive. It was running perfectly until Clunk, nothing. (An no it wasn't a real sound).

3. I have tried reinstalling all the drivers...nothing.
    4. I have tried reformating my windows xp..nothing.

5. I have now hooked it up to my mac and ran disk utility. The mac recognized it when it is plugged in through usb. I ran disk repair, it said there was nothing wrong with it.

Questions:
    How come I can't see it on my Mac as a hard drive in which I can edit?
    How come I can't see in on my PC?
    And Idealiy I would like to have it hooked up to my airport extreme to get it wireless again.

Please help....So many hours wasted and potentially lost data.

I'm in hard drive hell.

-Matt
    Do not buy ANY Western Digital Products! Many Western Digital My Book users have the same problem of loosing their data and there isnt any fix for that. It has its own problem of failing.