Thread: Problem with an Medion external hard drive

Problem with an Medion external hard drive

I purchased the Medion external hard drive 500GB few months ago. It worked perfectly but yesterday, I try to connect in my USB 2.0 port and then my PC does not recognize it ... I restarted my PC and my Windows XP recognizes the external hard drive as "Local Disk (L:)".

When I double click on Local Disk L (usually my PC recognizes immediately and plan to himself to open the files, then I must go through the job), after 5 minutes of waiting, a Attention message appears: "The disk is not formatted The disk in drive L is not formatted. Want to format it now? Yes / No"

Here I click Yes, another message appears:

"Local Disk Format (L)
    Capacity: 465Go
    File system: NTFS
    Size allocation unit: Size allocation by default/512 octets/1024 octets/2048 octets/4096 bytes.
    Name volume:
    Formatting options: Quick Format / Enable compression (have two boxes, they are unchecked)
    Start / Close "

When I click on Start a new message appears:

"Local Disk Format (L)
    WARNING: Formatting will remove all data from the disk. Select OK to format the disk or CANCEL to abort. OK / Cancel "

Then i click Cancel because my external hard drive has a lot of personal files and the work that I must keep QUITE why they were supposed to be protected in this external hard drive.

Re: Problem with an Medion external hard drive

See : http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1067962.htm it will help you. Remember every time you leave a USB device to use the "Remove Hardware Safely" otherwise you will most often the problem.

When I try it (chkdsk / F) from the command prompt it does not make it just that it is FAT32 then plant it (error report appears with classic can send the report). After it remains that the outcome of the formatting , I do not want to lose my data.

In this case console still must fix the boot sector of hard disk with the "fixboot (drive letter)" - This command will write a new boot sector on the system partition. For example, "fixboot e" if the player in question is e:. Or fix the MBR with "Fixmbr (drive letter)" in Windows XP. This latest order repairs the MBR of the system partition.

Warning: The Fixmbr can damage your partition tables and make them inaccessible! Use this command therefore carefully

Thanks for your reply

But that Nothing works now I am desperate

It will pass through the box formatting the device under warranty for dismantling diagnosis of hard disk directly from a PC without the USB is not advisable if you want to receive a service. We can only advise too have redundant backups of our dear personal files even if it seems unnecessary and cumbersome at first glance.