Thread: No sound!

No sound!

Hello, I have a perplexing problem, and I hope someone here can help me out. I was playing a game, and my PC crashed. When I rebooted, I had no sound. I checked the control panel, and it said I had no sound device. I figured my onboard sound card was fried, so I bought an Xtreme Sound PCI Audio card. When I restarted, my computer recognized the new hardware, and I installed the drivers, but still no sound. I opened the software that came with the card, and when I configured the card, I got sound, but my computer still says that there is no sound device. Please direct me to a solution. Here is my Belarc profile.

Re: No sound!

Ok what You can do To test That your sound is Working or not . open Any Mp3 Or Audio Video files in Any media player ( Most probably open An mp3 fle in Winamp or Windows Media Player) And Start playing it. If you can the progress Bar increasing and time of mp3 playing then your audio card is well configured n working . and as of sound that you are not getting there may be any setting issue. just check this and get back Here .

Have you tried going into the bios and making sure that the onboard sound is not disabled? For when such thing happened to me earlier, I checked the bios like 3 times and it said that the audio device was set to auto..... but then for kicks i just decided to reset the bios to the optimized defualts and it worked!!! As soon as I started the comp it detected the audio hardware and installed the drivers for it.....everything then worked fine.

First, reboot the comp, enter the bios, disable the onboard audio, game port, and midi. Then boot back into windows, go to add remove programs, make sure any program for the device was removed. Turn the computer off, put in the card, boot up, then use the install cd. the problem is (more than likely) the default device in audio properties is still the onboard, you can select the creative devices and it will probably work, but it will be better to disable the onboard all together.

Try using a different PCi slot, that way windows may detect it as new instead of trying to reconfigure it on the slots its currently on.

O.k. I disabled my onboard sound card. I know that the new card is installed correctly, and is working, as there is a spot in my control panel for the card.

Quote Originally Posted by mollymutt View Post
    O.k. I disabled my onboard sound card. I know that the new card is installed correctly, and is working, as there is a spot in my control panel for the card.
    So is your problem solved?

No, I still have the same problem.

go to control panel> sound and audio devices.
    click audio tab and see what is listed as default audio device.
    if it's greyed out, you need to go to device manager> sound,video and game controllers
    uninstall legacy audio drivers and then do a scan for hardware changes
    I had this problem with a friend's comp last week and tried 3 sound cards .
    found it was the legacy audio drivers that messed up. He had it happen playing a game as well.
    What I did was to uninstall the legacy audio drivers and when I did a scan, I told it to look in the creative folder(I created with the drivers from disc) and it picked up the drivers and all worked well. Has been working good since.

Sounds good, except it doesn't give me the option to uninstall the drivers.

if it won't give you the option...try to update it pointing it to update from your sound card folder. I have had to use this way before when windows "thinks" the driver is there and ok. let me know how you made out.

Quote Originally Posted by mollymutt View Post
    Sounds good, except it doesn't give me the option to uninstall the drivers.
    You can also delete the sound drivers from Start Menu > Setting > Control Panel > Add Remove Program.
    You will be able to see your sound drivers installed over there.
    I may b a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

Tried it, they weren't there.