Thread: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable

The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable

I have a 160GB IDE disk with 3 partitions that is quite old. This morning, I unplugged and plugged into another round with a much more recent configurations. Upon arrival on Windows Vista, a message asks me to reboot as changes are occurring in hard drive.

Then I realize that 2 partitions are no longer accessible. Attempting to open launches the message "The file or directory is damaged or illegible ..."

The 2 partition in question had access rights restricted to the time I configured. I can not take possession of them via right click> property, because the "Security" tab does not appear on the 2 partitions (it appears on other hard drives and sharing options recommended in cases was previously unchecked)
    Do you think my problem is only due to a problem of access rights or it looks more like a crash?
    To the rational mind there can be no offense,
    no obscenity, no blasphemy,
    but only information of greater or lesser
    value.

Re: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable

if it is a pb rights, you will have a message that speaks of rights: /, in my opinion, the partitions are really damaged formatting will solve the pb, but it seems to me that there should be soft to repair the files

Documents and important work are present on the 2 partitions, I would recover before making a formatting. For chkdsk, I tried error checking in the properties but a message tells me that Windows has no access disc. In Run> cmd, the chkdsk happens to a message "Unable to determine the version and the status of volume, abandonment of chkdsk." And finally, in defragmentation software, the 2 partitions are not even visible.
    To the rational mind there can be no offense,
    no obscenity, no blasphemy,
    but only information of greater or lesser
    value.

From My Opinion Ill recommend you to get Ubuntu CD and boot your machine.
    At least you can access to your partitions.
    Desktop: Apple PowerMac G4 | Desktop: Dell Dimension 1100/B110 | Portable: Dell Latitude D400