Thread: Protect External HD with password

Protect External HD with password

I would like to protect a 2.5 hard drive that I use externally with an adapter.

I would like to set a password on my External drive but am not sure that whether its involes any software for it. I need a Encryted password for my disk. It must be like when you are booting with external HD or if you want to save any data on HD. I want to Encrypt Entire HD.

Can you please help me ??

Re: Protect External HD with password

Not that it's not easy ^ ^ that it is impossible

As per my knowledge we can not put a password on a hard drive to protect access, at least not without third-party programs, secondly, encrypt a hard disk, or request a bone capable of doing so (eg vista ) Is a program to do so as you say,

In short, for me what you ask is not feasible, if it exists after I want to know, I fall asleep

Hello,

Put a password, it is quite possible.
    Under mac for example you can allow playback / editing / writing such disk tone for a user / password precise.
    Windows is also possible (XP or Vista) but tools must be there on the net, it should be but I never searched.

For encryption, once you have encrypted your data, knowing that each time you want to be read or add, it will be mandatory that the software decrypts the whole to recover your entire file ( especially if your disk you formatted in NTFS fragmentation coughed coughed ... ...). So a waste of time and performance proportional to the size of the disc.

Moreover, like any encryption, of course you might need the same software to decrypt it at someone else, or other software using the same encryption algorithm, well yes to open a lock it must be the correct key, or pass across

So already know that one is possible. Then, following your OS, it will be complicated more or less

thank you
    encrypt I suspected a little

for the software password that's what I try and although google is my friend I did not find the above positive (for Vista and XP and possibly linux lol)

Try digging on the side of TrueCrypt. Compatible with any OS can encrypt it and put pwd.

If you touch a little linux, something simple, if we talk not just encryption but access protection.

you set a user as owner of the root disk and you set the mask of permits to 700 in fstab like that it only has access to files

But we agree, it does nothing crypt!

The concern is that I used the external hd pltforme with xp, vista or linux

according to the manufacture it already has built in Shock resistant, password authentication, One-Click backup button so look in the main drive folder and set the password and that's it no encryption needed. It is set up so you can use it on any computer but is protected by the password.

Lock and hide files and folder software

You can probably try out this software.

Lock and hide files