Thread: USB Connection Problem

USB Connection Problem

Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum and I hope someone can help me with my problem.

Here is the story:

I left the computer on last night and everything was working fine, when I woke up this morning the computer was running but non responsive. The monitor was off and neither the keyboard nor mouse was working.

I restared the computer, and tried to log in however the keyboard and mouse were still not working.

I got an old PS2 keyboard and connected it up to the computer, and then restarted the computer again. The PS2 keyboard worked perfectly (unfortunately I don't have a PS2 mouse).

I entered BIOS to check that USB was still enabled which it was. So I logged into windows, the USB devices were still not working, however windows did come up with an installing new hardware prompt when I plugged in the keyboard (the keyboard remained powerless however). There was one exception however, when I plugged in my Ipod it worked without a hitch.

I then decided to get an old 10-1 pin USB connector to plug into my MOBO, and I used that instead of the MOBO USB slots. Again the slots worked with my IPOD but not my keyboard or mouse.

I then thought that maybe a virus or something downloaded onto my computer during the night, which would explain why it was non responsive when I saw the computer. I discovered that windows Service Pack 3 had been installed during the night.

I uninstalled service pack 3 and downloaded and installed service pack 2. However I could still not get the USB keyboard or mouse to work.

I have to come to the conclusion that when SP3 was installed it somehow disabled some of the USB capabilities. However I have no idea how to get it working again. There is obviously nothing wrong with the hardware, because my Ipod does work.

I have run out of ideas, and if anyone has any idea how to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike

Re: USB Connection Problem

Hi Mike
    try this:
    ok, on the desktop, right click on MY COMPUTER, and then select MANAGE option. a new window will appear, in that select SYSTEM TOOLS, in that click on DEVICE MANAGER, on the right side of the window pane, a list wil appear, Then look for the usb port in the list and select it then you can see an option disable or enable accordingly on the tool bar. Good luck

go to start-control panel-system-device manager. and find Universal serial bus controller. right click on USB root hub and controller, and click enable them.

Hi,
    Please check whether you are restarting your computer in Hibernate mode, In Hibernate mode your Mouse is locked and it will not move.
    Eventhough this process comes at very initial level, but there won't be any problem checking out this option.

Thanks

Thanks for the help, I have figured out the problem.

My mouse is a Razer Deathadder, and it looks like it no longer works. When its plugged in, it also disables the keyboard for some reason.

It looks like this is quite normal for this type of mouse, and I have an old replacement to use for the time being.

No idea why the mouse suddenly decided to die when the computer was being updated. I checked it with another computer to make sure it was actually broken.

The computer works now, so all is good

Quote Originally Posted by mik00014 View Post
    Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum and I hope someone can help me with my problem.

Here is the story:

I left the computer on last night and everything was working fine, when I woke up this morning the computer was running but non responsive. The monitor was off and neither the keyboard nor mouse was working.

I restared the computer, and tried to log in however the keyboard and mouse were still not working.

I got an old PS2 keyboard and connected it up to the computer, and then restarted the computer again. The PS2 keyboard worked perfectly (unfortunately I don't have a PS2 mouse).

I entered BIOS to check that USB was still enabled which it was. So I logged into windows, the USB devices were still not working, however windows did come up with an installing new hardware prompt when I plugged in the keyboard (the keyboard remained powerless however). There was one exception however, when I plugged in my Ipod it worked without a hitch.

I then decided to get an old 10-1 pin USB connector to plug into my MOBO, and I used that instead of the MOBO USB slots. Again the slots worked with my IPOD but not my keyboard or mouse.

I then thought that maybe a virus or something downloaded onto my computer during the night, which would explain why it was non responsive when I saw the computer. I discovered that windows Service Pack 3 had been installed during the night.

I uninstalled service pack 3 and downloaded and installed service pack 2. However I could still not get the USB keyboard or mouse to work.

I have to come to the conclusion that when SP3 was installed it somehow disabled some of the USB capabilities. However I have no idea how to get it working again. There is obviously nothing wrong with the hardware, because my Ipod does work.

I have run out of ideas, and if anyone has any idea how to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike
    As You are saying That your Ipod Works Without a hitch.so Did You tried Using the Same Port for Connecting the Mouse . it may be possible that particular Usb port May Not be working and also you can check your mouse and keyboard at any other computer to confirm that they are functioning well.

I have tried the mouse in another computer, and it definitely does not work. Annoying but better that USB ports that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by mik00014 View Post
    I have tried the mouse in another computer, and it definitely does not work. Annoying but better that USB ports that don't work.
    So Obviously Now You Know That your mouse dont Work.you better get it replaced if it is under warranty. or purchase a new one