Thread: Hard disk connection problem

blacklist3 Guest

Hard disk connection problem

I had a 80 gb samsung hard disk(sata) and a samsung dvd drive connected to the IDE channel
    recently i got a 40 gb samsung hard disk which is pata. I tried to connect both the hard disk at once.. i put the jumper on slave mode and connected it serial to the dvd drive. But when i boot the system boots from the 40 gb by default.

I have changed the priority of boot order and gave the 80 gb hard disk the first priority still of no use. I have a intel mother board. Now what i do is when the system is booting i press the F10 to choose the boot device and selects the 80gb hard disk but and i formatted the 40 gb after wards which had windows xp in. M using windows 7 though. But now i see that my dvd drive is not getting detected, it has power surging through it but its doesnt shows up in my computer.

i want to connect both the hard disk at the same time and want default boot from 80 bg sata disk
    and i want my dvd drive to work. what should i do ?

Re: Hard disk connection problem

Thread moved to Hardware Peripherals

Connect your 80Gigs Hard disk on Primary Master IDE port on the motherboard. Connect your DVD drive as Master and 40Gigs Hard Disk as Slave on Secondary IDE port on the motherboard. On the motherboard you can find IDE0 and IDE1 written or sometimes IDE1 and IDE2. IDE0 = primary and IDE1=Secondary and in the second case IDE1=Primary and IDE2=Secondary... If necessary change the power connectors which are used to connect to the 40gigs Hard disk and DVD.

blacklist3 Guest

thanks rudra

But my 80 gig is SATA no PATA which can be connected to the IDE
    But any ways i resolved the problem.
    thanks anyways
    Now how to delete this thread ?

You can use the two hard disks at the same time but the only problem is that there isn't any converter for sata and ide so which means that you will have to get a motherboard with sata port on it. Attach the IDE interface cable to the drive. Make sure to line up pin 1 of the connector with pin 1 of the motherboard, by attaching the cable so that the red wire on one edge of the ribbon cable connects to pin 1 of each device.