Thread: "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure"press f1 to continue or press f2 to enter setup utility

unsure "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure"press f1 to continue or press f2 to enter setup utility

I use a Dell Optiplex 620,windows xp (SP2).I get message "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure.Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup utility".
    Floppy diskette is not present.I have change boot sequence to cd Rom followed by hard disk.I uninstalled floppy diskettte,disabled and still get message on start up.
    I cant do error check on disk as windows would not complete test.I get this message on start up and when i press F1,booting is completed.
    What can i do to resolve this problem.
    Thanks

Re: "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure"press f1 to continue or press f2 to enter setup utility

First of all, goto your BIOS and set up the startup order of your hardware. Normally by pressing F2 on startup. (It tells you on the "welcome screen" where it presents the logo of the PC and also the key you have to press to enter BIOS). Change the order, and startup again. If it doesn't work, then try pressing F8 while you PC is starting. Try to startup normally (select "Last working configuration" and press enter). If this does not work, try to startup in some of the special modes. If nothing works, then two possible errors may have happened:
    1. Hardware, your HD is broken, buy a new one and install Windows again. First try option 2.
    2. Software, some Windows error. Google the error message and search for answers, if none of those helps, you need to install Windows again (you will loose all your data). But at least you will not have to buy a new CD, if installation does not work, then your HD is defenitely broke. But you need to change the startup order on your BIOS to boot first from the CD-ROM device.
    Additional:
    Try another keyboard, if thats not the cause, maybe your motherboard is broken, but as it shows you this error message, I don not believe that this is the error. You need to enter somehow your BIOS. Reset your BIOS if necesary (google it, caution: reset BIOS, do not burn your PC (eaven if you'd like to sometimes;-) )).

Re: "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure"press f1 to continue or press f2 to enter setup utility

Thread Moved

In your attempts to fix the other problem, did anything involve the use of a bootable floppy, or were you only using the XP CD?

At a guess, something has been added to your boot sequence which is trying to run an app with a default path that references the floppy drive. You could try running "sysedit" looking for references to A: or B: the files it shows you, you could also search the registry for same.

unsure Re: "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure"press f1 to continue or press f2 to enter setup utility

At the moment the PC hangs at Dell and will not boot completey itno Windows anymore.I am unable to enter the BIOS as the PC will not boot pass Dell into windows,so am unable to strike F12 button as PC hangs.
    The PC by default is set to boot from floppy disk so am unable to change boot sequence,hence unable to do a repair.
    I can read the Hard drive in another Dell PC so i did a disk check and when i put it back in the original PC it still woun't boot completely.
    I have also changed the RAM and it still woun't boot pass Dell.
    Please advice.

I surely seems like the BIOS of your computer has got corrupted. Your hard drive is working properly on other PC whereas you cant even get into BIOS of this PC signifies bios problem.

I have checked and discovered that i still have warranty.I have sent it down for warranty claims as i am not an expert on BIOS.
    Thanks all for your contributions and support.

Its good that it is under warranty. I think they should get the BIOS corrected or install new BIOS, coz it surely seems to be problematic.

Let us know the updates from manufacturer/dealers side