Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Errors when copying from External Drive

Hardware Peripherals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 13-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Errors when copying from External Drive
  

Hello all,

I am trying to copy some files from an external hard drive to another drive. At first I have to wait for a while as it says "Preparing to copy..." and then it copies very slowly. After copying a few(different number every time I try) files, it gives me the following message:
"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

I have also received the following message a few times while trying to copy:
"Cannot Copy [filename]: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I am receiving these errors when I either copy to an internal Hard Drive or external Hard Drive.

I ran a check disk, and it came back with the following message "Windows was unable to complete the disk check."

I am very confused as I can access the files on the external drive, but it runs slowly as I try to open or navigate through the external drive. Also, I am confused, because it lets me copy some of the files, but then at some point gives me a error message.

What can I do to copy files from the external hard drive?

I hope you can help me as I have some very important files on the external drive, which I ofcourse didn't backup. Also, please let me know if there are other options available to me such as recovery services or recovery programs if I cannot solve it on my own with your help.

Thank you in advance!!!

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 75
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeckdude View Post
Hello all,

I am trying to copy some files from an external hard drive to another drive. At first I have to wait for a while as it says "Preparing to copy..." and then it copies very slowly. After copying a few(different number every time I try) files, it gives me the following message:
"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

I have also received the following message a few times while trying to copy:
"Cannot Copy [filename]: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I am receiving these errors when I either copy to an internal Hard Drive or external Hard Drive.

I ran a check disk, and it came back with the following message "Windows was unable to complete the disk check."

I am very confused as I can access the files on the external drive, but it runs slowly as I try to open or navigate through the external drive. Also, I am confused, because it lets me copy some of the files, but then at some point gives me a error message.

What can I do to copy files from the external hard drive?

I hope you can help me as I have some very important files on the external drive, which I ofcourse didn't backup. Also, please let me know if there are other options available to me such as recovery services or recovery programs if I cannot solve it on my own with your help.

Thank you in advance!!!
As you have only said windows is unable to perform disk check your internel hardisk may have developed some bad sectors. about external har-drive what you can do is that check it out at freinds computer and if working there please take backup of it there. and if the disk is working there properly then you internal is surely having some bad sector . try taking backup reinstalling your operating system
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

Upon putting my external drive into a USB port on the back of the computer, I noticed it's ALOT faster than the USB port in the front of the computer where I had it plugged in so far. It also copies correctly now with no error messages. I now see that BOTH of my front USB ports are not working correctly and the error messages were due to that.

How can I fix the front USB ports so they work correctly?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 75
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeckdude View Post
Upon putting my external drive into a USB port on the back of the computer, I noticed it's ALOT faster than the USB port in the front of the computer where I had it plugged in so far. It also copies correctly now with no error messages. I now see that BOTH of my front USB ports are not working correctly and the error messages were due to that.

How can I fix the front USB ports so they work correctly?
if you can tell us the exact configuration of your Pc especially your motherboard then i might be able to help you a bit more.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 203
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

Back panel USB ports are directly mounted to motherboard , and sometimes front panel USB ports not works properly due to loose connection between port and Motherboard. so now what you have to do is just open the case and check the connections are properly or not , and if than also the ports really not works properly , then may be you have to change the wire which connects front panel USB port with motherboard .good luck.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (3.6GHz, 1.44v) with TR Ultra 120E,
Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 v1.1, 4GB G.Skill PI 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v ,
Powercolor ATI HD4870X2 2GB, 4x SATA2 500GB Samsung HDD RAID 10,
Creative X-Fi, Dell 2408WFP A01 24" LCD,
Acer P221w 22" LCD,
Corsair HX-1000 Watt PSU,
Vista 64-bit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Re: Errors when copying from usb

hi friends,
while copying from usb flash memory display showing cannot copy files i/0 device error.please help to rectify problem
thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,086
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

Did you plug the card into another device, such as a computer?
__________________
Ram requirement for various OS
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,193
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

If it worked prior to dropping it, you may have damaged the drive. If that's the case your only choice is to send it in for repair. It may cost more to repair than what you could buy a new one for though.
__________________
Windows 7 Review
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 127
Re: Errors when copying from usb

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki22m View Post
hi friends,
while copying from usb flash memory display showing cannot copy files i/0 device error.please help to rectify problem
thanks
Have you tried by plugging the flash drive into some other port like port behind to your case. If yes then try to plug your flash drive in some another computer of your friends then see see what happens and tell us.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

hi friends
thanks for your responses,i checked the same usb in other pc its ok its working normally,only on that particular pc the problem showing cannot copy I/O device error,i can send any file to that usb in that pc but from usb i cannot copy any thing to pc,thats the problem
thanks to all
plz help
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 200
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki22m View Post
hi friends
thanks for your responses,i checked the same usb in other pc its ok its working normally,only on that particular pc the problem showing cannot copy I/O device error,i can send any file to that usb in that pc but from usb i cannot copy any thing to pc,thats the problem
thanks to all
plz help
Look in administartive tools-computer management-disk management to see if the flash drive is listed as healthy. It may need to be formatted (did you read the paper that came with the drive?) or you may have a bad flash drive and need to return it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Re: Errors when copying from External Drive

hello friends,
thanks for ur replys i checked as wat u suggested in adminstration tools disk manegment found flash drive healthy.if any other way we can check plz suggest.
thanks to all
bye
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Errors when copying from External Drive"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is copying Windows 7 drive to a newer hard drive loses my activation duckyma Operating Systems 4 24-12-2010 10:26 PM
Home network and the PS3 errors while copying files. Apalachee Portable Devices 6 21-05-2010 01:09 AM
System volume information errors on external USB drive Mintoo XP Hardware 2 21-08-2009 01:41 PM
Copying from one Hard Drive to Another MuttuSwami Windows Software 3 14-08-2009 12:29 PM
Errors while copying files to a removable disk blindsleeper Hardware Peripherals 2 18-10-2008 03:24 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:13 AM.