Thread: Is My harddrive dead?

Is My harddrive dead?

Hi Every body. blakeez here I am some strange problem with my harddrive When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will start loading (or at least the Windows Loading screen shows up) and then I hear aloudgrinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts down and starts up again in the DOS "Your computer did not shut down properly.". I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one, and my data on another harddrive. Will it be as simple as buying a new hardrive, installing windows and then I am good to go? (followed by updating all of my drivers)
    pls help.

Re: Is My harddrive dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Blakeexz View Post
    Hi Every body. blakeez here I am some strange problem with my harddrive When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will start loading (or at least the Windows Loading screen shows up) and then I hear aloudgrinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts down and starts up again in the DOS "Your computer did not shut down properly.". I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one, and my data on another harddrive. Will it be as simple as buying a new hardrive, installing windows and then I am good to go? (followed by updating all of my drivers)
    pls help.
    yes it is that simple but make sure you disconnect your data drive while doing to fitting and reinstalling of windows on a new drive. There have been a few disasters on here with people that did not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    yes it is that simple but make sure you disconnect your data drive while doing to fitting and reinstalling of windows on a new drive. There have been a few disasters on here with people that did not do that.
    Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that. To make sure that I understand what you are talking about... When I put the new HD in the case and hook it up, before I install windows, I should un-hook the functioning HD, install windows, and then re-hook it (the old, functioning HD) up.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that. To make sure that I understand what you are talking about... When I put the new HD in the case and hook it up, before I install windows, I should un-hook the functioning HD, install windows, and then re-hook it (the old, functioning HD) up.
    To clarify, open the case, disconnect the drive with data on it. I have assumed it to be another internal. If it is just a USB connected dive just unplug the usb cable. Disconnect to old Drive and replace it with a new one. Install windows on the new drive, bring it right up to date with all windows updates/security patches and install all your applications. Now reconnect the data drive and it should appear in explorer as before.with all your data intact.

pls help.
    hi guys i also had a similar problem .I have a couple f dead harddisk I've managed to get working for a couple of hour after which they die again. The trick is to put them in to freezer for an hour or so then reconnect. I managed to salvage all the data intact. After they thawed the noises started again and hd's went bad. I thougth it was a myth but it worked for me on two drivers. On a a couple of laptop hd's I could not do the same however so your mileage may vary.

hi i just spent some of the weekend, poking around inside my computer. I took the sides off, and started it up, trying to figure out which of my HDs the noise is coming from. Turns out it is not coming from my HDs, the clicking/grinding is coming from one of my DVD players. When I put my hand on it, I can feel it vibrating. However, that still doesn't change the fact that my computer won't start up. I tried putting my Windows Installation disk in the drive and set the drive to be the start-up device, and there was no happiness. No real difference in what happened.

If you think a piece of hardware (DVD Player) is failing, by all means remove it from the system. If it's on the same controller as another DVD Player or hard drive, make sure the remaining device is the Master. This is some times accomplished by means of a jumper, and other times,by jumpering the device as "cable select," and plugging the Master end of your cable into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Effren View Post
    If you think a piece of hardware (DVD Player) is failing, by all means remove it from the system. If it's on the same controller as another DVD Player or hard drive, make sure the remaining device is the Master. This is some times accomplished by means of a jumper, and other times,by jumpering the device as "cable select," and plugging the Master end of your cable into it.
    I didn't realize that a DVD player could be the cause of someting like this, nor that there would be a master or slave DVD player.I will try unplugging it tonight and then seeing what happens.

Thanks!!