Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-10-2008

How to tackle Power Surge On USB Port?

Hi,
I keep getting this message on my laptop screen (Compaq Evo 160 Notebook):

"A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."

When I click on the message, it comes up with : "Power Surge on Hub Port"and identifies it firstly as an "Unknown USB Device". I click "Reset" and a few minutes later the same message appears and this time it tells me the power surge is on the "USB Printing Support". I unplug the printer and press the "Reset" tab but this often doesn't reset the printer and I have to completely shutdown and restart the laptop, often several times, before the computer and printer will recognise one another. Sometimes I manage to make it work by just unplugging and reconnecting the printer, but it often takes several goes to get the printer to respond.

I have a good Zap catcher connected to my printer & laptop, so why am I getting these power surges? (Just in case it has any beariig on this
problem, my laptop runs on Windows XP Home Edition).

I have 2 USB Ports, one has the printer connected to it, the other has a Canon Scanner-only. I tried unplugging the scanner to see if this fixed the problem, but it doesn't.

Many thanks for any light you can throw on this.
Old 25-10-2008

Re: How to tackle Power Surge On USB Port?

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the USB device/s are drawing too much power for your laptop power supply/battery and
causing the system to crash.
Old 25-10-2008

Purchase a powered USB hub and use it between your computer and the USB devices.
Old 25-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una View Post
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the USB device/s are drawing too much power for your laptop power supply/battery and
causing the system to crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaz View Post
Purchase a powered USB hub and use it between your computer and the USB devices.
You are both right. Your laptop's USB ports do not supply enough power to operate both the scanner and the printer. You need a powered USB hub. USB ports supply 500ma maximum of power, your printer and scanner together need more then that.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: ,