Thread: Raw Read Error Rate

Raw Read Error Rate

hi,
    i have Panasonic 320 GB Hard Drive,I always check my disk with the Diskcheckup and HDtune,Any data i stored in it, eventually got CRC errors but after quick power cut off,i restarted the computer and then I did a scandisk and checked again the SMART status.and the Raw Value of Raw Read Error Rate attribute is 1.Would a bad HD cause this? Is there anythign I can do to fix it? Or do I have to buy a new one?

Re: Raw Read Error Rate

hi,
    Try to backup your data before it fails.Dang, 2.5 years sure isn't a very good lifespan. Wonder if it is still under warranty?

hi,
    Not sure why that is. It usually indicates trouble reading data from the platters.You may want to run the floppy or CD based diagnostic utility that WD offers. It gives error codes, and occasionally the ability to resolve a problem if its just a few bad sectors. It also rules out Windows/software issues that 'may' cause erroroneous results which are rare.

It would appear that the drive doesn't cache reads. For example, I would have thought that when reading 0x400 sectors, the first 0x300 sectors could be fetched from the drive's read cache.Is this behaviour by design, or does the read cache need to be explicitly enabled? Does Seagate expect the OS to handle read caching rather than the drive?

hi,
    This attribute value depends of read errors, disk surface condition and indicates the rate of hardware read errors that occurred when reading data from a disk surface. Lower values indicate that there is a problem with either disk surface or read/write heads.