Thread: Hard-Disk upgrading - Raid 1

Hard-Disk upgrading - Raid 1

Hello everyone...
    I am facing some hard drive issue with my hard disk.. Presently i am running my 2 x 120 Gigabyte SATA hard disk drives in a mirrored (RAID 1) array. Actually, I am running out of memory space on my hard drive discs and I only have 2 SATA disk connections on my motherboard. Suppose if i try to swap one of the discs of mine out for a larger one and after that if i wait for those two hard drives to rebuild automatically and then swap the other one out for another larger one, then it is possible that they read the space on the disk??? Or will I be stuck with the 2 hard drives of 250 gigabytes each which i think they are 120 gigabytes?

Re: Hard-Disk upgrading - Raid 1

I think when you replace each of the hard drives of 120 Gigabytes with the 250Gigabytes drives (which means rebuilding after each one), you will have a single 120 Gigabytes partition in your hard drives. After this, you will be able to format the remaining space in the hard disk drives as a new partition or will be able to resize the 120 Gigabyte hard drive partition so a to fill the remaining space on the drive... Hope this information helps you to solve your query..

I use a retail application which is known as "Partition Magic", simply for resizing partitions that are currently in use.. There are many such alternatives for its use such as "Ranish partition manager", which is a good alternative for you.. However, when you resize, the partition is not an operation which will take place lightly. I never had this kind of problem but the data is not recoverable after this . You have to do a backup of all the important data before you perform any "low level disk" functions like this. You can simply create a new partition which is an unused space.

According to me their is one way to solve this issue.. You can simply follow these following steps : -
    • Keep only one 36.4 Hard Disk Drive in the server itself.. After that, when it is in running state, then put the 146 Hard disk drive in the server. Then you will have to wait until the 36 GB rebuilds on the 146 GB..
    • After this, simply repeat this same process, taking the 36 out and then putting the another 146 GB with the 2nd 146GB so rebuild is done successfully. As only your HDD is involved in this process your data will not be lost in any manner..
    Last edited by Carlos16; 02-11-2010 at 04:40 PM.

I had the same problem with my hard disk drive. I tried this solution and it worked for me.. You people can also try this out.
    • First i try and copy my entire hard drive data on to an external hard drive so that i have a back up of all the data using a software known as 'Norton Ghost'.
    • Then check whether or not your computer boots from the external hard disk drive.
    • Then install raid controller in it and then 4 SATA 2 hard drives each of 250 GB running RAID 5.
    • Then remove old Hard disk drives..
    • After that simply copy the hard drive on to the new RAID array and then re-label it..

I have tried all the possible things and all possible solutions i know to solve it. I tried the following steps which are been given here...
    • I tried cloning of the 320GB hard drive to the 640 GB hard drive. It booted the disc but no RAID array existed after that.. After that, When i tried to attempt to create an RAID array, however the drive was no longer bootable.
    • After that left one 320 GB hard drive inside it and then installed one 640 GB hard drive. As instructed the RAID software, to simply rebuild the RAID array which i completed successfully. It worked fine but i was not able to increase the partition.
    Does any one has any suggestion regarding this topic..

I have tried this out and it worked for me. I hope it does work with you too...

• First thing you should do is break the hard drive mirror and simply remove one of the original hard disk drives.
    • Then you should install 1x larger hard drive you have..
    • Then use some of the programs like Norton's Ghost for copying the Operating System and also all the contents of your hard disk drive.
    • After that remove the other original hard disk drive.
    • Then check whether you are able to boot your new drive or not..
    • After that install the new pr the second hard drive.
    • Then Boot up your RAID utility and then create and rebuild your drive mirror again..