Thread: Different RAM types and its uses

ThumbsUp Different RAM types and its uses

Hi, I am new to this website, sorry if i am asking newbie questions but this is a important situation.
    I just wanted to upgrade my system from lower version of Ram to Higher one but with the same old motherboards, so please let me know the different types of RAM with its uses.
    also let me know which motherboard supports New RDRAM AND SDRAM.
    im really stuck sum1 plz plz help me i wud really appreciate it, thanks......

eliotmc

Hi, eliotmc

The type of RAM doesn't matter nearly as much as how much of it you've got, but using plain old SDRAM memory today will slow you down. There are three main types of RAM: SDRAM, DDR and Rambus DRAM.
    SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM)
    Almost all systems used to ship with 3.3 volt, 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs. SDRAM is not an extension of older EDO DRAM but a new type of DRAM altogether. SDRAM started out running at 66 MHz, while older fast page mode DRAM and EDO max out at 50 MHz. SDRAM is able to scale to 133 MHz (PC133) officially, and unofficially up to 180MHz or higher. As processors get faster, new generations of memory such as DDR and RDRAM are required to get proper performance.
    DDR (Double Data Rate SDRAM)
    DDR basically doubles the rate of data transfer of standard SDRAM by transferring data on the up and down tick of a clock cycle. DDR memory operating at 333MHz actually operates at 166MHz * 2 (aka PC333 / PC2700) or 133MHz*2 (PC266 / PC2100). DDR is a 2.5 volt technology that uses 184 pins in its DIMMs. It is incompatible with SDRAM physically, but uses a similar parallel bus, making it easier to implement than RDRAM, which is a different technology.
    Rambus DRAM (RDRAM)
    Despite it's higher price, Intel has given RDRAM it's blessing for the consumer market, and it will be the sole choice of memory for Intel's Pentium 4. RDRAM is a serial memory technology that arrived in three flavors, PC600, PC700, and PC800. PC800 RDRAM has double the maximum throughput of old PC100 SDRAM, but a higher latency. RDRAM designs with multiple channels, such as those in Pentium 4 motherboards, are currently at the top of the heap in memory throughput, especially when paired with PC1066 RDRAM memory.
    Hope this may help u.

hi,eliotmc
    This very easy to become confused with the different types of RAM that will or will not run on the different types of motherboards that support Intel or AMD processors.

Note that you do not need to install DIMM (SDRAM or DDR RAM) modules,in pairs. Modern motherboards are also often much more forgiving about which DIMM modules that can be fitted - they do not all have to be of the same capacity. - A 64MB module can be installed with 128MB and 256MB modules.

Remember, never skimp on quality when it comes to RAM.

Even when buying a new PC always obtain a system specification and check what make of RAM is installed.

Only grade-A memory will do, and it is only manufactured by the major manufacturers of RAM.

please revert back if any questions
    Thanks
    BlackNGold