Thread: My microphone is not working on my desktop?

My microphone is not working on my desktop?

Hi my microphone is not working when i speak into it on my desktop. I have put the line in jack and the mic jack right place but it still does not work. I thought it was the driver but the one i have "realtek ac97 audio" which already provides the sound which i listen regularly through my headphones is fine.

I went into the control panel and tried to test it out with speech but nothing comes up. I have checked the volume to make sure it is high but whenever i speak into the speech in the control panel nothing comes up.

So i tried a headset microphone then i tried it with a microphone brand new bought from the shop and it still does not work.

Can someone please help me.

My PC configuration:
    computer
    Amd athlon(tm) xp 2000+
    1.67ghz 480mb of ram

system
    microsoft windows
    xp professional 2002
    service pack2

Can someone please give me some advice or recommend a forum where they can help me out please

Have you also checked the capture tab of the “Volume Control” window? There is usually a separate mute / capture volume for the microphone (in contrast to the microphone playback volume in the screenshot). You should be able to enable the capture devices in the preferences.

If you are using a standard mini-stereo plug for the microphone, and it is plugging into the line-in port on your XP, then it is not going to work.

The line-in port is specifically a "line-in" port. It accepts "line level" audio inputs only.

Such inputs would be from the back of your component stereo's tape deck, a component type (as in not built-in) stereo CD-Player's RCA jacks, etc.

Record Players / Turn-Tables and Microphones require a pre-amp if you intend to use them with a line-in jack.

Some microphones claim to be amplified. But, if there is no source of power between the microphone and the computer, you can pretty much forget it.

Does the microphone have a battery? Or, any other form of external power? If not, then you'll need a pre-amp. Usually, it's just cheaper to buy a USB Microphone than a pre-amp.

Myself, I just use a mixer (like a live D.J. would use) with a built-in pre-amp.

Now, if you are using a USB microphone, then you shouldn't be having any trouble.

If you are using a standard microphone, then you'll need a pre-amp.

As for why it works with your desktop, I can offer two possible explanations.

1) Almost all PC's have a Microphone specific jack that has a pre-amp circuit. But, none of the modern XP's do.

2) Many older XP's do have a Microphone jack. I don't know exactly when it was removed from their systems, but I do know that the old iMac G3 I have has one, and my old PowerMac G3 had one. My newer G4 systems do not, but some of the G4 towers may have (I don't know).

Hope this helps.

Source: Macrumors

Maybe this link might assit you with the following problem.

Thanks for replying the type of microphone i have is a headphone attached to a mic that i just plug into the jack.

But i will try the usb microphone maybe that might work.

Also when you Start|Programs|Accessories| Entertainment|Volume Control and look at the microphone which is high on my part and click advanced does the bass and treble suppose to be disabled and set to low.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    If you are using a standard mini-stereo plug for the microphone, and it is plugging into the line-in port on your XP, then it is not going to work.

The line-in port is specifically a "line-in" port. It accepts "line level" audio inputs only.

Such inputs would be from the back of your component stereo's tape deck, a component type (as in not built-in) stereo CD-Player's RCA jacks, etc.

Record Players / Turn-Tables and Microphones require a pre-amp if you intend to use them with a line-in jack.

Some microphones claim to be amplified. But, if there is no source of power between the microphone and the computer, you can pretty much forget it.

Does the microphone have a battery? Or, any other form of external power? If not, then you'll need a pre-amp. Usually, it's just cheaper to buy a USB Microphone than a pre-amp.

Myself, I just use a mixer (like a live D.J. would use) with a built-in pre-amp.

Now, if you are using a USB microphone, then you shouldn't be having any trouble.

If you are using a standard microphone, then you'll need a pre-amp.

As for why it works with your desktop, I can offer two possible explanations.

1) Almost all PC's have a Microphone specific jack that has a pre-amp circuit. But, none of the modern XP's do.

2) Many older XP's do have a Microphone jack. I don't know exactly when it was removed from their systems, but I do know that the old iMac G3 I have has one, and my old PowerMac G3 had one. My newer G4 systems do not, but some of the G4 towers may have (I don't know).

Hope this helps.

Source: Macrumors

thanks for the info everyone it is working fine now i just used a usb microphone

Happy to know that USB mic is working for you!
    Even i had the same problem months ago & am using headphone with mic & its working
    I will also try to use USB mic some day!