Thread: How to locate USB Ports

How to locate USB Ports

I have attached a portable HDD to my PC through a USB slot. This has been working well so far.

I am now getting a message that the device will work faster by using a different USB Hub port. Then a name of the Hub comes up showing 8 unused ports.

The actual message is as under:

"The USB Mass Storage Device is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port.

The hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support the HI-SPEED USB device.

USB Root Hub (8 ports)
    unused port
    unused port etc.

Recommendation
    Disconnect the USB Mass Storage Device from its current port and then connect it to one of the ports on a hub shown in bold type."

How exactly do I physically locate the specific Hub and how can I connect to specific ports?

I can see 4 slots at the back and two slots on the side of the CPU Cabinet.

Is there any freeware that will show USB port diagram or something like that?

What is your computer specifications?

Edit: See this link for some clearifications: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...2august05.mspx

It seems like your computer got a usb 1.0 thats why it show that messege but i think you can still work with your hard drive although it is not connected to the hi-speed usb. is it working?

Go to your BIOS settings(tap F2 repeatedly during booting before you can see anything on the screen). Now go to the Advanced option where the USB speed is mentioned. You can change it from High speed to full speed.

In Intel BIOS its at Advanced>USB Configuration. You may check the speed configuration and USB legacy support there.

Furthermore, if your computer has USB 2.0 support, go to device manager/hardware/universal serial bus controller/ and then unistall the open host controller than reboot. After reboot, windows should found new hardware and install the drivers. Go to device manager/hardwares/universal serial bus controller/ then look for the enhanced host controller. If you can find it, the USB 2.0 should work properly.

usb port

I know that I have USB 2.0 enhanced host controllers.

My simple question is HOW DO I LOCATE the specific USB ports.

kindly read the query in detail above.

thanks.

As EINSTEIN_007 said please specify your computer specs (like motherboard, ram, processor, etc.....)

usb hub locating

i have Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 mhz.
    ASUS P5GZ MX motherboard

Intel 82801G USB Universal Host Controllers and also USB 2 Enhanced Host Controller etc.

Frankly, you can see from the window message I have given above that it already specifies that :

"The hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support the HI-SPEED USB device.

USB Root Hub (8 ports)"

So the only point is to locate the USB Root Hub that supports the HI-SPEED USB DEVICE and to find the correct USB slot on the outside of the Cabinet.

Go to BIOS settings. Now go to the Advanced option where the USB speed is mentioned. You can change it from High speed to full speed.

If the above thing doesn't work then look at this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;312370

According to your specs, you have only 8 USB 2.0 ports (4 ports at mid-board, 4 ports at back panel).

Quote Originally Posted by Rkhon View Post
    According to your specs, you have only 8 USB 2.0 ports (4 ports at mid-board, 4 ports at back panel).

I am sorry I may be dumb but I dont get the drift of what everyone is saying.

I have earlier said in my first message that I can see 2 slots in the side and 4 slots on the back.

I have also shown the exact windows message I am getting in full including:
    "The hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support the HI-SPEED USB device."

So in my mind, the question is only as to in which of the slots should I attache the cable whcih connects my external HDD to the PC.

Am I missing something?

Hello br945,

First of all, for your problem I will say that try using different ports (trial and error) and see any of your ports works or not. If none of them work then, if you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or Microsoft Windows XP Professional, follow the steps provided by mv and check if it works.

If none of them work then let me know where exactly are you getting the problem. Also mention which OS are you using with SP.

Hope I was clear and helpful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rkhon View Post
    Hello br945,

First of all, for your problem I will say that try using different ports (trial and error) and see any of your ports works or not. If none of them work then, if you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or Microsoft Windows XP Professional, follow the steps provided by mv and check if it works.

If none of them work then let me know where exactly are you getting the problem. Also mention which OS are you using with SP.

Hope I was clear and helpful to you.
    I am using XP SP/2 but again I dont need to adjust through BIOs etc.as the windows message is very clear, I have to only use the right port. It is only a question of locating the right slot. Perhaps, the only solution is to try different slots.

However, I am a bit surprised that there is no freeware to display some kind of a configuration layout to locate various parts.

Basically what I mean is there may or may not be any freeware (I don't know anyone) available but the reason for your error is given in that Microsoft link. And since you are using the older SP (i.e. SP2), you may need to get the latest SP (i.e. SP3) or its patches so that you can use the same ports which you were using previously. It has been mentioned in the link that "Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products". So instead of fetching for a freeware, first install the new SP and see what happens.