Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Advantages of Dual Channel memory

Hardware Peripherals

Old 26-08-2008

Advantages of Dual Channel memory

Hi friends.

What is the purpose of having dual channel for memories in computer? I am going to buy a new Acer computer for my sister and I am told by the dealer that it is equipped with dual channel. So I was just curious to know what exactly is it and what are its advantages.

Old 26-08-2008

In terms of read/write speeds, the dual channel memory enhances the performance to about 64% to single channel memory. But then, this also depends on the motherboard capabilities. So if your motherboard doesn't support dual channel, then it will not work with your computer. Making out the difference is still somewhat unnoticed until you start benchmarking.
Old 26-08-2008

Check out this thread made earlier by minhaz4u related to the same topic - About Dual Channel RAM.... This will give you an idea about dual channel memories and their advantages.
Old 26-08-2008

Here is what is listed by the dealer about the memory in the specification sheet that he provided-
Quote:
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHz
The CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 at 2.4GHz
Old 26-08-2008

Now that gave a clear picture of your dual channel memory related to the CPU and config. Its good that you clarified it.

I feel the dual memory channel will be applicable and will be accurate with this config. Though this is a quad core CPU as you mentioned, that should work i guess.
Old 26-08-2008

Read this article - Everything You Need to Know About Dual Channel

It has a detailed information about dual channel memories along with their advantages.
Old 26-08-2008

For dual channel memory, the motherboard must support it. Almost all Intel's computer supports dual channeling.

Whether dual channeling is supported or not by your motherboard lies within the memory controller. All the recent memory controllers support dual channel except few. Like AMD Athlon 64 series is a newer one with 754 sockets but still does not support dual channel memory. However, the same with 939 socket supports.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , ,