Thread: Dead Raptor Hard drive

Dead Raptor Hard drive

Hello,

i bought a new case for my pc & built it up accordingly but when i tried to power up this it did not start only just a little hint in computer trying to start with few fans rotating for a fraction of a second. Now, I tried unplugging some fans to see if the case is at fault & whne plugging it back I accidently plugged the Sata power lead & a molex into the same Raptor hdd & bang, some smoke came out so I turned it off. So after realizing this I corrrected the problem & then the computer turned on fine but with no signal on the monitor. I also tried 2 other hdd from other computer but they are not working or spinning at all. So I think that the raptor has died but why the other hdd? Anyone got any ideas or any suggestions on this. Thanks

I assume the smoking hard drive is already dead.

I also think that the power supply is not quite good & there is also a small chance of motherboard fried up? Have you tried your components with another power supply? If it is not that, & also if the other hard drive is fried, then it would be the overload in the Raptor that blew up the SATA bus which seems the case maybe?

I have already tried the power supply in other computer & it works fine. When I tried another psu in the fried computer the computer is still the same showing that the Motherboard is faulty. Also I forgot to add that the other hdd was IDE which would still stop it in any ways if the SATA bus is fried as if the motherboard is blown & its of no use at all but I can still see a light on it?
    Thanks again

I thinks that the video card is connected to the same power loom as the molex connected to the dead hdd? So therefore the card might have been short circuted by it & anything else on that loom perhaps?

I hope that it aint the gfx card that is blown cause it was also plug on a seperate power cable like 2 x PCI power or so.