Thread: Is my hard drive dead

Is my hard drive dead

I just bought a dell as my pc & next day i found the hard drive cracking. If i hook it into my computer i am able to see it in bios & it shows up in the post but when i go to windows i cant see to find it. It is being hooked up as the secondary drive. It cannot be booted into windows if I hook it as primary but it will show in bios. On the norton go back screen it comes but it restarts onto the xp screen & it will continously do that if you wont turn it off. It has got a lot of stuff inside that is needed & also no backup was made. Is it something to do with norton screwing it or the hard drive is dying or dead already? Also, i need a tool to take out all the data if possible & also if it is free then it would be great.
    Please help me with all the advice that you can offer. Thanks

You can recover the bad sectors on the hard drive with a tool called SpinRite.

Did you assign it a drive letter by going into disk management?

If i am not able to see the drive then how would i go about assigning it a drive letter?

I think someone fiddled with Norton Ghost by backing up the drive and a boot partition got created by norton to run the backup if i am not wrong. It dosent delete the boot partition if the backup fails & therefore it tries to boot into DOS I guess & fails & tries again. Did you try running fdisk and delete the first partition by booting the pc into DOS with a flash drive or floppy drive or you can even try to make the second pne active. Ensure that the first partition is a nortont partition which is only a couple of mb.