Thread: New Dual boot HDD is not getting detected after only one week use

New Dual boot HDD is not getting detected after only one week use

I just bought the 500 GB Seagate SATA HDD for my Dell Optiplex GX 620 system.
    I installed XP PRO in C: & Vista in the adjacent partition making it a dual boot system.

I used it for a week with no problems.

Then I installed a program called OSL 20000 Boot Manager. ( http://www.osloader.com/ ) suggested by a friend to make it possible to install more than two OS. I also installed another program called Driver Magician (www.drivermagician.com ).also suggested by him although I had already installed the proper drivers but thought it might be useful in future.

After installing those two programs I booted the computer 2-3 times & it seemed to work fine.

But next morning when I started the system it will not detect the Hard Disk at all.
    If I connect the second Hard Disk, then that hard disk also doesn’t get detected. So this new hard disk makes all other working Hard Disks ( with XP on them ) also disappear.

I tried normal checks like cable & power cord & drive does spin & tried to repaire thru Vista DVD but it says there is no hard drive.

I need professional help because I have lots of data on it ( most I have backed up ) but returning for a replacement would leave all my data on it including personal data.

Can you guys help ?

Thank You.

Wierd, can you put this drive in another machine or any of your friends machine by making it secondry or slave to find out if its not really the hard drive?

To solve this just delete the windows vista partition from your hard drive.

What partition you have created- fat32, ext3, or reiserfs?

I have 2 other drives that are working fine on this machine. I also tried it as a slave, but when used as a slave it makes the primary also disappear.

ApPy19,

The drive is not getting detected or booted so how can you delete a partition ?

Guruji,
    NTFS

I have 2 other drives that are working fine on this machine. I also tried it as a slave, but when used as a slave it makes the primary also disappear.
    If this drive has the os then it cannot be detected as slave but only as primary master on the machine.

The drive is not getting detected or booted so how can you delete a partition ?
    Have you tried connecting it to some other pc & checking it out if it starts then you could probably delete the partition before taking out all the data.

Have you tried to slave it in some other pc to backup your files? Chack to see if it is working there? Have you checked master / slave /CS jumper position are perfect? Did you check the SATA cable to ensure that it is firmly plugged in the mobo & the hard drive connectors? Have you tried using another Sata cable to see whether if it is not the cable? Is it getting enough power? Have you tried a multimeter to test the power output at the molex connector?