Thread: Tutorial #2

This is the tutorial which helped me learn reverse engineering. Thank you Merlin
    Note: The wwdisp.exe is packed with UPX packer. U can download UPX packer by doing a google search cause i can' post the URL here since it will violate forum rules.Then use "upx -d wwdisp.exe" command from dos prompt to instantly unpack it without doing manual unpacking as explained below. But still i recommend you to get the idea of manual unapcking. Also there is no need to use Hiew to do the binary editing as it can be done in Olly. It's explained in Perfect Keyloger tutorial. But since Hiew is a powerful and favourite hexeditor u better kno how to use it. Enjoy!

============================================================================
    TITLE:
    Patching Windows Washer v5.0
    BEST VIEWED:
    Notepad with word wrap enabled, and in restored window mode
    TOOLS USED:
    OllyDbg v1.09d(step 4)
    Hiew v6.85
    PEiD v0.91
    Resource Tuner v1.93
    Ollydump_v2.21b
    LPE-DLX
    imprec_v1.6_final
    Brain (Preferably version human or above)
    TARGET:
    wwDisp.exe
    LOCATION OF TOOLS AND PROGRAM:
    -http://www.grinders.withernsea.com/tools/odbg109d.rar
    -http://www.grinders.withernsea.com/tools/hiew685.rar
    -http://www.grinders.withernsea.com/tools/ResTuner_v1.93.rar
    -http://www.grinders.withernsea.com/tools/PEiD_v0.91.rar
    -http://www.grinders.withernsea.com/tools/Windows_Washer_v5.0.rar
    -http://www.grinders.withernsea.com/tools/Ollydump_v2.21b.rar
    -http://www.grinders.withernsea.com/tools/LPE-DLX.rar
    -http://www.grinders.withernsea.com/tools/imprec_v1.6_final.rar
    v1.0 Written 4th of January 2004
    AUTHOR AND OTHER ALIASES:
    Merlin
    LESSON 1: uNPACKING WEBWASHER MANUALLY AND PATTCHING IT.
    Unpack the Ollydbg plugin called Ollydump and put it in your Ollydbg plugin folder.
    Load wwDisp.exe into Olly, we get an informative message telling us that our program maybe compressed etc. Click ok and you will land here:

004A4230 > $ 60 PUSHAD

Right click and choose 'Appearance->Highlighting->Jumps'n'calls' to make things a tad clearer for us. Now press 'Alt+M' (Memory Map), and maximize the window (my preference). We are looking for a PE Header, which will be in the 'Contains' column. Under the first PE Header:

Memory map, item 15
    Address=00400000
    Size=00001000 (4096.)
    Owner=wwDisp 00400000 (itself)
    Section=
    Contains=PE header
    Type=Imag 01001002
    Access=R
    Initial access=RWE

You will see what is the packer of this program (UPX), you should see this if you are looking in the right place:

Memory map, item 16
    Address=00401000
    Size=0006E000 (450560.)
    Owner=wwDisp 00400000
    Section=UPX0
    Type=Imag 01001002
    Access=R
    Initial access=RWE

now we are looking for UPX1 (the end of the protection basically), and it is directly underneath UPX0 and it looks like this:

Memory map, item 17
    Address=0046F000
    Size=00036000 (221184.)
    Owner=wwDisp 00400000
    Section=UPX1
    Contains=code
    Type=Imag 01001002
    Access=R
    Initial access=RWE

So now we have the starting address of the UPX protection as well as the ending address, the starting address is 00401000 and the ending address is 0046F000. So what now? Well we need to find a jump that is between 00401000 and 0046F000, so close the memory window. Now keep scrolling down until you find it, you should land here:

004A439C .-E9 D3EEFBFF JMP wwDisp.00463274

Set a breakpoint on it (F2) and hit F9 and you will land there, now press F8 and you will find yourself at the OEP (Outside Entry Point), OEP's are recognizable by:

PUSH EBP
    MOV EBP,ESP

Now what we do when we land here is to dump this process. So click the plugins menu and select 'OllyDump->Dumpdebuggedprocess'. Now take special notice of the 'Entry Point:' part of OllyDump, it should be A4230, and we want to change this to what is in the Modify box which is 63274. Uncheck the box that says 'Rebuild Import' we will do the rebuilding of the import with a IMPREC (Import Reconstructor). Now click dump and save the file as wwDisp_manually_unpacked.exe
    Now what we will do is rebuild the import table, to do this we load up Imprec, then select wwDisp.exe from the drop down menu of active processes. Then in the OEP box change 000A4230 to 00063274 and then click the 'IAT AutoSearch' button, and then click the 'Get Imports' button, followed by the 'Fix Dump' button, and choose our dumped executable, which (if you followed the tutorial to a tee) is wwDisp_manually_unpacked.exe, if successful you will have an unpacked version of wwDisp.exe and it will be named wwDisp_manually_unpacked.exe_
    and if so, well done.
    Now to round things off we need to fix the base of our new unpacked executable, and to do this we will use a program called LordPE, so launch LordPE and click the 'Rebuild PE' button, and choose wwDisp_manually_unpacked.exe_ and voila! 8-D

Ok, let's get straight down to business; open up wwdisp.exe (RENAME wwDisp_manually_unpacked.exe TO wwdisp.exe and copy it into Webwasher folder and select overwrite) and you'll see that we can only use this program for 30 days. Close down Web Washer, put your clock forward one year, re-launch the program, and a dialog window will pop-up telling us that our trial has expired, click close. Before we open wwdisp.exe in our debugger (Olly), let's just think for a second, what are our main ways of attack on this program? Well it's a time-trial, so the program must be getting some form of date/time and comparing it against something; the main ways a program does this, is via these commands:
    {GetTimeZoneInformation
    GetSystemTime
    GetFileTime
    GetLocalTime}
    However, I know in advance, that this is a much more complicated route then the one we are going to take. So what other methods do we have, well, we'll know if we put our clock back to what it was, so move your clock back 1 year, and relaunch wwdisp.exe, it now informs us that our program protection system has been tampered with, or something along those lines; but how did the program know this? Simple really, it compares a file (usually created when the program was last used) and compares the date of that file, with the current date. This is executed through the command, 'FileTimeToLocalFileTime'.
    Right, time to debug, launch OllyDbg, before we do anything else, to make things easier on ourselves, right click in Olly, and select 'Appearance->Highlighting->Jumps'n'calls'. Now open up wwdisp.exe in Olly, and you will recieve a message telling you that the program is packed etc. Choose no when asked if you want to debug (leaving Olly open but wwdisp closed in Olly). Open up PEiD (this program is great, it identifies what protection the program is using), once in PEiD, open wwdisp.exe from PEiD, it tells us that UPX was used to pack the program. What now? Well the trial version of Resource Tuner actually comes with a UPX unpacker dll. So load up Resource Tuner, and from within Resource Tuner open wwdisp.exe, once it has opened, it will be unpacked, so save the file as "wwdisp_unpacked.exe". Go back to Olly, and open the newly unpacked executable (wwdisp_unpacked). Right click and choose 'Search for->Name (label) in current module', once there (my preference) right click and select 'Sort by->Name'; scroll down to 'FileTimeToLocalFileTime', select it, then right click and choose 'Set breakpoint on every reference'. Now go back to the main Olly window, and press F9 (to begin the debug process). You should find yourself here:

00408C4B |. E8 A0DFFFFF CALL <JMP.&KERNEL32.FileTimeToLocalFileT>; &#092;FileTimeToLocalFileTime

Now, this method may not work all the time for every single time trial program similar to Web Washer, but it's always worth a try, what we will do is keep pressing F8 (to step through the code) until we summon the error message. The line you land on eventually should be this one:

0046333F FF92 D8000000 CALL DWORD PTR DS:[EDX+D8] ; wwDisp_u.0044333C

Go back to Olly, and let's have a look at the code were we are. Now let's get our bearings, we are currently at the address '0046333F', let's have a look at some near by condition jumps, the first one we see, is for some odd reason, not highlighted (remember we choose to highlight jumps'n'calls, the nearest conditional jump to were we landed is:

00463315 75 5A JNZ SHORT wwDisp_u.00463371

Take a closer look, we see that it is a JNZ, which means 'Jump if Not Equal To', we also see that it jumps to the address '00463371' in 'wwDisp', and on a closer examination, we realise that where it is jumping to '00463371' is actually past were we landed '0046333F', hopefully, if we changed this jump so that it always jumps (EB is a straight jump), then hopefully this will allow us to use Windows Washer as long as we would like.
    Right, click the close button on the Windows Washer dialog that appeared. Write down or remember (this is good practice) the address we want to change. Press 'Ctrl+F2' to restart the program in Olly. Press 'Ctrl+G' (Goto command) and type 00463315, and we should land at the conditional jump we want to change. Now right click this line and choose 'Binary->Edit', now we want to change the 75 (JNZ) to EB (Straight Jump), so change 75 5A to EB 5A, and hit 'OK'. Now keep pressing F9 until Windows Washer loads, congratulations, it's now cracked.
    Olly only makes changes to the program temporarily. Close down Olly. Before we make the changes permanent backup wwdisp.exe, one you have done that launch Hiew (Our Hex Editor), and work your way to wwdisp.exe, ahhh! Look at all that gobbledygook! Press 'F4' (Mode) and choose decode, ahh much better. Press 'F5' (Goto) and type .00463315 you need the "." before the address, because that is the syntax (in Hiew) to search for an address. Now press F3 (Edit) and type EB then press 'F9' and 'F10' to update and close.

LESSON 2: INLINE PATCHING PACKED EXE:

Firstly to understand this tutorial you need to have read the other two Windows Washer tutorials of mine (Unpacking and Patching) which are located in the 'LOCATION OF TOOLS AND PROGRAM' section.
    Secondly what is inline patching? Basically inline patching is the patching of the packed executable. What is this useful for? Well let's say you patched the unpacked version, that's all very well, but if you wanted to release your crack it's going to be a lot bigger, then if we patched the packed version (inline patching) then you could create a small patch (say a couple of KB's) to crack the packed version.
    Right then let's get down to business. Open up wwDisp.exe in Olly and you'll land at (if it's packed (make sure it is)):

004A4230 > &#036; 60 PUSHAD

Now to actually do inline patching (without damaging the program) we have to look for free space, to do this, go to the JMP that is under POPAD, which is:

004A439C -E9 D3EEFBFF JMP wwDisp.00463274

Now directly underneath that is some free space (bunch of zeros) unfortunately there is some code underneath that, that is just 3 lines down, but underneath that, that is our free space we will tamper with:

004A43B0 0000 ADD BYTE PTR DS:[EAX],AL

Now we are going to want to edit this line so it makes (the conditional jump we changed in the patching tutorial):

00463315 75 5A JNZ SHORT wwDisp_u.00463371

become

EB 5A, and to do this we simple left click 004A43B0 then right click and select 'Assemble' now this brings up a dialog box that has the assembly code at that address we just right clicked. Delete it, and type without quotation marks "MOV BYTE PTR DS:[463315],0EB" and click the 'Assemble' button. All that did was move (MOV) the byte (BYTE) EB (0EB, you put a 0 infront because it is a letter now a number you are moving) into the address 00463315 ([463315]). Now the dialog box is still up but for the address just below, delete what is in the dialog box and type without the quotation marks, "JMP 463274" and click the 'Assemble' button and then the 'Cancel' button, now if you are wondering why you changed that line to JMP 463274, we changed it to that because that is where 004A439C jumps to, and now we are going to change where that jumps to, to our newly edited code. So select and right click the address 004A439C, bring up the assemble dialog window replace what's there with "JMP 4A43B0" which will jump to the start of our code change, then it will patch the program, and then jump to the real program code.
    Now to make this changes final we right click and choose 'Copy to executable->All moditifications->Copy all', and then right click in the new window that popped up and select 'Save file' and save it as whatever you like. Well done!! 8-)

Remember if you use the program buy it!
    SHOUTZ AND GREETZ:
    To Kyrstie, we've been nearly going out for a year now! 8-)
    Last edited by ferrari; 22-01-2004 at 09:24 AM.

shrek_incredible Guest
    hey man tell me.........

have you ever tried making no cd cracks? (and thats allowed.... means no cd cracks are legal cos you use them for legal games too as inserting the cds again and again always is a headache)

I had tried no cd stuff but always ended up with corrupt exe files.
    (of course the version of brain was pretty old :tongue:
    Anyway any ideas on this?

mlnunes Guest
    I really like such stuffs mate.
    but I'm not good at doing them.

Hope this tutorial helps me a lot.

yeah i have Tomb raider and i patched it to get rid off the no cd bug. This is da first n last CD i patched.
    I downloaded NFS 2000(i bought this game for 500 bucks) no CD patch but it refused to play the CD music which was not desirable for me. The target 'EXE' file was packed and protected with Safedisk. And i didn't noe how to manually unpack it. So just downloaded Unsafedisk from a website and voila the no cd bug eliminated.
    Being a novice reverse engineer i wud practice more on these weak protections. When i master all the various techniques then i'l attack games.
    It's difficult for an individual reverser like me to get quick results. The patches for stronger protections u see on those UG websites r reversed by intelligent groups like TSRH n others.
    So friends plz don ask me for patches. U can always find them on UG websites. I always patch softwares which i use but can't pay in &#036;. All these tuts are to teach u reverse engineering. U r welcome to ask questions if u don understand any part of these tuts.

mlnunes Guest
    Hey ferrari,

Just check out the thread with Tutorial #1 writen by you...
    I have some problems with that tutorial and I posted some questions..
    Please clarify those.

shrek_incredible Guest
    hey man not asking for patches.. I was just saying if you have tried no cd stuff.
    I can get whatever i want at gam**********.com website... But the key and fun is in doing it yourselves and unfortunately no one gives tutorials for no-cd patches

Nilrem Guest
    Thanks for posting my tutorial Ferarri, ace, I was planning on writing a memory patching tutorial, but I think (just for you hehe) I'll put that on hold for now and I'll write a NO-CD cracking tutorial. Though as ferarri can tell you, I'm usually very busy.
    Last edited by Nilrem; 02-02-2004 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari
    yeah i have Tomb raider and i patched it to get rid off the no cd bug. This is da first n last CD i patched.
    I downloaded NFS 2000(i bought this game for 500 bucks) no CD patch but it refused to play the CD music which was not desirable for me. The target 'EXE' file was packed and protected with Safedisk. And i didn't noe how to manually unpack it. So just downloaded Unsafedisk from a website and voila the no cd bug eliminated.
    Being a novice reverse engineer i wud practice more on these weak protections. When i master all the various techniques then i'l attack games.
    It's difficult for an individual reverser like me to get quick results. The patches for stronger protections u see on those UG websites r reversed by intelligent groups like TSRH n others.
    So friends plz don ask me for patches. U can always find them on UG websites. I always patch softwares which i use but can't pay in $. All these tuts are to teach u reverse engineering. U r welcome to ask questions if u don understand any part of these tuts.

dude what does one take to learn asembly??would be obliged if you can help.

Well tis tut is nice.. i tried my hands on few s/w basically 4 reg cracks.. hiew is nice & esp if ya have lot of time..u can experiment a lot.. assembly is not very exciting though ..

i like to follow the tutorial #2 . please let me know where to download the wwdisp.exe from .
    thank you.