Thread: How to Choose a Good Gaming CPU

How to Choose a Good Gaming CPU

This guide will explain you the requirement of right cpu for your gaming pc. A number of times we usually rely on our sellers for system specification. By default when you purchase a game, its gives you a pre-configure system requirement which your system has to meet. Or else the game will not work. But do we really put effort to understand how does this system specification is set. To some extent I had notice that vendor fools people to upgrade their system purposely even if the current system is capable of performing well. At that point the consumer can do nothing as he/she is not technically gates who can simply avoid the catch. Either no one can easily figure out from web about the cpu requirement. Some articles that I visit normally to read about cpu requirement, I found they put a benchmark chart. This chart shows which cpu can perform well under which condition. That is a great way of providing information. But to some extent there are people who are not aware about benchmarking concept.

Now let’s assume you are person you want to buy a laptop for multimedia and gaming needs. There are 4 different models in front of. Each of them has a minor change in the hardware based on cpu and ram. Some of them may or may not have a gpu. To buy the right one the seller will try to put more concentration on the high end model. For example Intel Core i5 with 4GB RAM and 1GB GPU. Do you really that much hardware resource. An average user who buys system for his personal use hardly plays more than 10 high end games in his lifetime. But they are quiet addicted to facebook games, basic flash games, and simple games provided by bigfish or similar developer. At that time many of you might not imagine that for playing a basic game I purchased so high configuration. This puts a great amount of your invest in garbage. You in your entire life never use that much system power to run resource intensive application.

Now other type of people who are engaged in video processing, editing, designing, animation, development, etc can stay happy on high configuration. But the population of average user is much higher who love to buy new system for their person use. That is the reason ample of people stick to Mac. Even though it is a costly product, but it gives them what people usually want. While other platform are sold on the basis of high hardware specification. I never notice in Apple store that the seller tries to put more effort on the hardware. Instead of that they try to give you feature information. While at the time of buying a Windows based system, the main attracting is inside hardware. The ram, cpu, gpu, etc.

We are here to discuss the gaming requirement. I am going to explain you in detail about how a cpu works and what amount of cpu power you need for different games. Much time when you buy a system or read any information on new laptop the first most things which is highlighted is cpu clock rate. A clock rate is like the muscle of cpu. The higher it is the faster your system will work. Among other I will mostly point out on Intel. As it is one of the larger cpu providers in world. And by default maximum system comes with it. The most famous cpu for personal computer I remember were Intel Pentium 2, Intel Pentium 3, Celeron, Intel Pentium 4, Intel Dual Core, Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i7. I had arranged them on the basis of they were released. Even today in some outdated place of world you can find Intel Pentium 4 processors. Those are too lazy compared to Core i Series. Let’s begin with calculation the cpu power which has increased with time. Thanks to Wikipedia I found a prescribe amount of clock ratio used by this all cpus. I am taking the maximum clock rate that you have ignoring the cpu architecture. The following is a small list of cpu frequency provided before:
    • Intel Pentium 2 - 450Mhz
    • Intel Pentium 3 - 600Mhz
    • Intel Pentium 4 - 1.70Ghz
    • Intel Dual Core - 1.8Ghz
    • Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66Ghz
    • Intel Core i3 - 2.93Ghz
    • Intel Core i5 - upto 3.80Ghz
    • Intel Core i7 - 3Ghz

I am sure that ample of you are confused here. To understand the Core frequency requirement you have to first understand how the cpu works. How the clock rate is used to give your system more power. How a game or application you are using affects the cpu power relatively. Let’s begin a short essay. A CPU power is calculated in the form of frequency which is measure in hertz. A frequency is actually a cycle. A cycle in simple word is repetitive event. One thing happens a number of times in the same format. Like how earth rotates around sun. This creates the cycle of day and night. Hertz is the measurement of a particular process which means one cycle per second. So 1 Hertz is equal to 1 cycle per second. That does not look complicated. In computer we calculate space in the form of bits and bytes. 1KB means 1000byte and on the same hand 1MB means 1000kb. The same thing is applicable here. So just has a look on the below list:
    • 1 hertz - 1 cycle per second.
    • 1000 hertz - 1 KiloHertz - 1000 cycle per second
    • 1000 KiloHertz - 1 Megahertz
    • 1000 Megahertz - 1 Gigahertz

Now you can get a basic idea of cpu power. If you purchase a cpu of 1.7Ghz that then cpu has the power to process 1700000000 instruction every second. That looks quiet high right. But that is not the case. Every application that you install in your system has a set of operation. Like if you double click on a shortcut icon from your Windows desktop there are millions of instruction that are run from behind which are not visible to us. The same then processed by the cpu within milliseconds to give you result on your screen. Today cpu is designed to handle a large amount of operation more easily. Every particular item attached to your computer has its own role. Every single element in your operating system has set of process that cpu carries out till the system is on. Today for most of the game the minimum cpu requirement is Core 2 Duo. A clock rate of 1.8 to 2.8Ghz can be comfortable. Even if you are having a Dual Core processor with higher frequency above 2Ghz it is possible to run any game but only with enough ram and gpu. While cpu models under core i series provide you a bit of dedicated section to run video elements.

Re: How to find a good Gaming CPU

Gaming CPU Requirement:

A game has many elements. The cpu is responsible to produce that on your screen. The video elements are controlled by the video memory. A GPU of 1GB above 800Mhz memory rate would be great. Now I start here to talk about the amount data process when a game runs, we will be near to 2012. So ignoring that part let’s begin with the gaming requirement of a cpu. My motive to make this article is to protect your interest from unnecessary upgrades. It is not really complicated to understand how much system power is actually need. A couple my friend had purchased new laptop recently. One of them bought 64bit hardware with 1TB storage and ATi 1Gb gpu. The issue is that he never play games, but the as the seller told this is the among more high end system so he bought. It is better to get a wise advice from an expert when you are willing to buy new system. Games are usually divided into genre.

Many new games appear with different technology go give you more realistic gameplay. Maximum games are developed to meet the need of current hardware in market. But some manufacturer push it more hardware. For example game like Crisis is high resource intensive. When you launch a game from your desktop the cpu has lot of work to do. The gpu is only responsible to handle the video stuff. While the cpu fulfils your requirement of play-pause. save game, controls, game score calculations, and other gaming effect. If the cpu is lower the game will lag. It will work, but will be very slow. I just tested Prototype in two different systems. One was Core 2 Duo with 2Gb RAM and no Graphic card and other was is Core i3 with same ram and no gpu. Prototype was very slow on Core 2 Duo but on Core i3 it was average. The same game worked well on Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram and 512GPU. It gave a better performance. So to some extent the cpu is not the only highlighted heron in your gaming pc. I had also targeted some the best gaming cpu which are listed below to ensure that you never remain shortage in power. But adding new stuff unnecessarily is not worthy.

Another thing that we missed above is the Core thing. After Pentium, Intel introduce Core based cpu with cache memory. A core is nothing addition chip. The cpu is divided into two parts to carry operations easily. Like in Pentium when you launch a game the entire cpu is engaged. There is no way you can do any other thing. You have to wait until the process is completed. Second in Dual Core Intel added a technology which can make the single cpu chip to behave like two different cpu. That gave rise to multi-tasking. At one side in Window mode you can play a game and on the other side you can download a file on download manager. To enhance the cpu power, Core 2 Duo cpu comes with two different chips added separately. The cache memory is a kind of small chip which keeps the record of frequently used application. So in case if you launch it, the cpu knows what you want. Now in Core i3 you have 4 different cpu core.

If 1 core is engaged then others are parked. This reduces the cpu power usage. In short the cpu is cooler. The cpu architecture has given it more power to expand and work on higher processes. Cpu architecture are bit complicated to explain. They just like platform on which the cpu performs. Like on road to reach a place you will take 1 hour and same in train the distance can be covered in minutes. Architecture does somewhat similar to this. A better power management, higher cpu clock rate and longer life with stability on crucial process like over clocking.

Let’s begin with some of the top cpus in market.

The below list is a short glimpse of better cpu models. So if you saw a system with any of those then you can go for. But remember the lower series the more you need to add a gpu. Basically in every gaming system cpu is needed at any cost. I am providing you a short list of all cpu that you can go for and do not forget to collect any 1GB or 512 GPU along with the same. Below is a huge list of Intel cpu. I had choose only the i series because it is not worth here to take older model in account. Still if you are Intel Core 2 Duo then you can expect an acceptable performance with dedicated 1GB gpu. I also tried to find the best price from web. The cpu price of regular models lies between below Rs.15000. But for high end which belongs to extreme edition you have to pay a much higher amount.

Intel Core i7 Extreme Processor

1.Intel Core i7-3920XM
    • Core - 4
    • Threads - 8
    • Clock Rate - 2.9 GHz
    • Max Turbo Frequency - 3.8 GHz
    • Intel Smart Cache - 8MB
    • Instruction Set - 64bit

2. Intel Core i7-3960X
    • Core - 6
    • Threads - 12
    • Clock Rate - 3.3 GHz