Thread: Duke Nukem Forever Troubleshooting Guide

Duke Nukem Forever Troubleshooting Guide

Now as we all are aware that the game has just recently launched and hence with the new game there do comes a lot of new problems, so that’s why I have made this thread to look out such kind of problems and find the solutions accordingly.

- So first lets get started with the minimum requirements that are needed for the game.

- Firstly you will have to make sure that you reinstall your Microsoft C++ redistributable. So for that install the C++ 2005, 2008, and 2008 SP1 versions so that there is no issues of compatibility.

- Make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX, the latest is the DirectX 9.0c.

- You need to verify the game cache and last but not the least run the game with the administrator

The recommended system requirement for the game would be
    Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz, Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+
    Graphics Card- GeForce GT 240, Radeon HD 3850
    RAM (Memory)- 2 GB
    Hard Disk Space- 10 GB
    Direct X- 9

Re: Duke Nukem Forever Troubleshooting Guide

Now lets have a look at the various problems that does comes while installing or while playing the game and accordingly the solutions are also given for the problem.

1) Duke Nukem Forever Crashes while starting
    Whenever your game while starting up then what it means is that you have done something with the game’s config files. So what is the solution for the problem?
    well there is a simple solution for the problem you need to delete the DNF Config folder in Steam UserData.
    Go to the steam user data and accordingly delete the folder 57900.
    That’s a fix for the problem.

2) Duke Nukem Forever Textures is not Loading
    Well this is a very common problem among the ati graphic card users, so there is a simple fix for the problem and the solution is that you will be having a feature in the settings known as SmoothVision HD Anti-Aliasing, just put that to use and the problem is solved.

3) Graphics messed up and black screen while playing Duke Nukem Forever
    This is the problem that has been noticed by majority of the people and the problem does points towards the graphic cards. So to fix the problem what you have to do is follow the steps that I am giving you here.

a) First enure that you are having the latest drivers for your graphic card

b) Now if you are a Nvidia card user then make sure that you try the following steps

i) Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel and find out 3D Settings category and select the Manage 3D Settings.

ii) Now go to the global settings and set the below three options properly
    Anisotropic filtering’ to ‘Application-controlled’
    ‘Antialiasing – Mode’ to ‘Application-controlled’
    ‘Vertical Sync’ to ‘Use the 3D application setting’

iii) Now select apply to save the changes and then get started with the game believe me that will work for you.

c) Ok, now if you are a ati card user then you need to follow the steps that I am giving you here

i) Go to the control panel and go to the menu bar and select Gaming from there.

ii) Now select 3D Application Settings under it.

iii) Now under the HD:Anti-Aliasing’ section and the HD:Anisotropic Filtering’ section you need to make sure that Use application settings option is checked.

iv) Click on apply and all the changes will be saved.

d) See if the problem is not getting solved by the above solutions then you need to close off all the applications may be a application conflict issue. otherwise uninstall the graphics drivers and load the driver that is compatible for the game.

4) Duke Nukem Forever low performance
    There are lots of problem while playing the game and ehnce you need to make sure that while playing the game you turn all the settings off and then only continue with the game. Turn V-sync off, AA is set to medium/low.

5) Low FPS in Duke Nukem Forever
    Well the problem is with the drivers of the video card and if possible try removing it and also disable the services that is given in the post 4.

6) Problem Activating DLC for Duke Nukem Forever
    There is a possibility that the instructions that are given in the DLC key card might be wrong so what you have to do is try and follow the steps that you do in the steam games.

7) Duke Nukem Forever does not run
    There are various instances when the game does not run at all, you might be getting the splash screen option but after that you are not able to do anything and hence what you have to do is disable the Anti-Aliasing option that you find in the settings of the graphic card.

8) Steam must be running to play Duke Nukem Forever
    Many a time while playing the game in steam you do get to see such kind of problem and hence what you have to do is just log out of the steam and then log in again that will solve the issue for you.

Duke Nukem Forever Troubleshooting Guide

I just received my new Duke Nukem Forever PC game. When I try to install it, a STEAM screen appears and wants me to register, which I do. The STEAM has a small black screen which appears and inside is a smaller gray screen and it says. STEAM-WORKING and then below it, it says CREATING ACCOUNT. and that's it. It gets stuck and the only way out of it, is to close my computer. It's done this twice now. And I've allowed it to CREATE ACCOUNT for 12 hours running. any ideas?? oh and I'm not a computer savvy person.. please explain this in easy words.. Many thanks

Its a very common problem, many people face freezing problem while creating account on Steam. Probably this occurs when there is problem with steam's servers itself. Valve servers might be down or much loaded when you were trying to create account. try it now and see if its freezing yet. If yes, simply try on some another PC.

You were right.. many thanks..

I have another request.. I live in Taiwan and when I ordered my copy of Duke Nukem Forever, it was from Asia, so I got a Chinese language one. Can anyone send me a copy of the Controls, IN ENGLISH??? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sixismycat View Post
    I have another request.. I live in Taiwan and when I ordered my copy of Duke Nukem Forever, it was from Asia, so I got a Chinese language one. Can anyone send me a copy of the Controls, IN ENGLISH??? thanks
    I guess at the time of installation of the game, you are given an option to select the language, so simply choose english as your installation language and then the controls will be in english language only. There are also duke nukem forever language pack available for download if you search it from the net.

Ok, I'm back with yet another question. The moment I got Duke installed... my computer started acting up and now I have several programs that are " not responding". Could this be Duke???

Ok, I'm back with yet another question. The moment I got Duke installed... my computer started acting up and now I have several programs that are " not responding". Could this be Duke???
    Alright, can you tell us from where did you get the Duke Nukem Forever game copy? Is it a legal version of the game copy or a pirated one, that is downloaded from some torrent sites, because if it is then it might be possible that it could be a virus infected game which is ruining all the programs that are installed in your computer. And to solve this issue you will need to clean boot the Operating System you have installed, for clean boot refer to this website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

I paid for my Duke Game, it legal!!! I know I could have downloaded from a torrent, but I wanted to support the makers of Duke.. it's a great game!!!

I paid for my Duke Game, it legal!!! I know I could have downloaded from a torrent, but I wanted to support the makers of Duke.. it's a great game!!!
    First of all can you tell us what is the computer specifications you are having? Does your computer meets with the games requirement? Compare the system requirements of Duke Nukem Forever and check if your pc meets with same or not:

Duke Nukem Forever Minimum System Specifications:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 Ghz
    RAM: 1 Gb
    HDD: 10 Gb free
    GFX RAM: 256 MB
    GFX: nVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600 or better
    Audio: DirectX Compatible

Duke Nukem Forever Recommended System Specifications:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
    RAM: 2 Gb
    HDD: 10Gb free
    GFX RAM: 512 MB
    GFX: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850

Ok, this is what I can find in computer..
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    RAM 2.00 GB
    GeFORCE 6200
    the other stuff you asked.. I don't know where it is..
    when I start DUKE, this is what happens
    It's starts well enough, although when I get to the screen of
    DUKE LIVES and it starts given tips, it becomes a bit broken,
    I hit campaign,
    then I get to check point saved and the screen goes white, then black..
    I can hear Duke whistling and that's it. I need to Task Manager and close the games, as it doesn't respond.

I really want to say thank you for taking the time in answering and helping..

sixismycat,

The video card GeFORCE 6200 that you are having is below the Duke Nukem Forever game's system requirement, hence you are getting white screens even though the game starts in your case. In most of the cases with such low end graphics card, the game wont even run and crash to desktop, which is not good for the system. So you will need to upgrade your graphics card to play this game without the white screen issues.

Thank you so much for this information.. I will indeed update my graphic cards.. this explains a lot about why my computer is acting up...