Unlike e-mail and newsgroups, or you can wait hours and sometimes even days before a response, the IRC allows real-time communication. You connect to an IRC server. Then you enter one of the conversation rooms on a subject that is displayed. If there is no topic interests you, you can always create your own chat room and wait for someone else presents itself. The same is now available on the World Wide Web. You can do a search on a site like AltaVista, Google and Yahoo among others to find a list of IRC servers.
What is mIRC?
mIRC is a full featured Internet Relay Chat client for Windows that can be used to communicate, share, play or work with others on IRC networks around the world, either in multi-user group conferences or in one-to-one private discussions. It has a clean, practical interface that is highly configurable and supports features such as buddy lists, file transfers, multi-server connections, IPv6, SSL encryption, proxy support, UTF-8 display, UPnP, customizable sounds, spoken messages, tray notifications, message logging, and more. mIRC also has a powerful scripting language that can be used both to automate mIRC and to create applications that perform a wide range of functions from network communications to playing games.
mIRC is one of the best IRC clients, besides being a classic. The IRC communications standard will serve to chat via internet with a wide expanse of users. The IRC network is a virtual community where you can join through one of its thousands of thematic channels for talks in chat mode. Stresses its definition of command aliases, popup menus configurable multi-level, DCC Send / Get (Send / Receive Files), DCC Chat (Chat from a single user), Finger Client built a file server and own easy to use. mIRC provides a friendly and easy to use and ready to meet people you chat with a mouse.
How it works
To join IRC, you need the address of an IRC server. You also need special software called an IRC client. Several of these programs offer a list of different servers you can connect. The server closest to you may well also be the most interesting. You can find one of the research sites on the World Wide Web a list of servers and IRC clients that are available. Try to learn as much as possible the operation before entering a site or a room. To connect to an IRC server, it will ask you some information. Must provide their full name, address, e-mail and his nickname for the site.
Rooms in regular IRC Chat
- Channel or Room: This is a meeting place where you can chat with other people in real time. What you write on the keyboard will appear to other participants in the channel as soon as you press the Enter key.
- Canal administrator: The person who created the channel is automatically director. This person may also give equivalence to other people. There is always a "@" before the name of the administrator. One advantage is to eject or "kicker" the unwanted channel. On Palace for example, they are called Gods or Wizards.
- Nickname: You do not have to use your name when you connect to an IRC server. Most will choose a nickname. It cannot be more than 9 characters and no spaces or accents.
- K-line: You can be added to the list of reactions to the IRC server if you do not follow the rules. In some cases, not only the administrator IRC you remove the right of access but also to all users in the field such as those of the Merlin server. At all times be polite, do not use obscene words, do not harass users of the service and do nothing other than having a good conversation with other users.
How to Setup mIRC
Download and Install mIRC.
- Full name: Put here your nickname
- Email Address: Put here an email address (you do not have to put a valid address. This address is just for information for other users)
- Nick Name: Choose your nickname, you'll be connected to IRC with it (be sure to pick one unused)
- Alternative: Select a second Age. It will serve you if your first is already in use.
- Invisible Mode: Check this box. In this case, only those who are connected to the same channel as you, or who knows your nickname can you find on IRC
- Class Connect> Servers
- IRC network: IRC Network where you want to connect
- IRC Server: Server on which you want to connect (usually an IRC network to multiple servers) Random = random server. (Many servers are available by default in mIRC, but you can add it manually using the commands ADD, EDIT and DELETE)
- New Windows Server: Allows you to open an IRC connection in a new window (useful when you want to connect to multiple networks simultaneously)
- Connect to server: To start the connection.
Class Connect> Options
- Connect on startup: Connects to the network from the start of mIRC. Do not select this option if you prefer to choose your own server or your network.
- Reconnect on Disconnect: This option allows automatic reconnection in case of disconnection.
- Pop up connect dialog on startup: mIRC opens automatically when you start the window of choice for servers.
- Move to top of list on connect: Place the server on which you connect to the top of the list of servers.
- Perform: Allows you to run commands automatically when you connect to a network (e.g. a password to join a channel, etc.)
- Retry: If connection failure, or disconnection, mIRC will attempt to reconnect. You can set how mIRC will reconnect with this option.
- Advanced: mIRC will involve all the sockets to a local IP address, in case you want to use another network connection.
Class Connect> Local Info : You can leave it as is. mIRC should return the information automatically. If mIRC detects your IP address wrong, you can switch between normal and server. (Server works well for people connecting from behind a router and wish to make DCC GET, SEND, and CHAT)