Thread: How to install Windows 7 from USB flash drive for Windows XP users

How to install Windows 7 from USB flash drive for Windows XP users

Although people get decrease in love with windows 7 system now, it is the most system people use. I learn that many people have upgraded their Windows XP to Win 7. If you trying to install Win7 from USB in Windows XP system, I wean dual system for one computer then you might want to read this

Before installation, you need to meet this requirement:

1-USB Pen Drive (Min 4 GB)

2-Windows 7 ISO (32 bit or 64 bit)

3-MBRwiz –

Download and Extract it on your hard drive (Diskpart utility for Windows XP doesn’t detect USB drive as Disk hence we need to use this free utility to make bootable USB drive).

1. Insert the USB Flash Drive to your computer Format USB drive. To Format USB Flash Drive Go to My Computer -> Right click on USB drive and select Format from context menu.

2. Open the command prompt (Run – > cmd) and Type following command convert i: /fs:ntfs

(Where “I” is the location of your USB drive)

3. Mount Windows 7 iso as drive (You can use Freeware MagicDisc download from here).

4. Type Start->run->cmd

Now dir to directory where you have extracted MBRWiz and run following commands

mbrwiz /list (note down disk number of your USB Pen drive)

mbrwiz /disk=X /active=X (X is Disk Number of your USB Drive)

exit

5. Now open another command window and type following command

J: (Drive letter of Windows 7 iso mounted with demon tool)

CD boot

bootsect /nt60 Y: (Y is drive latter of your USB drive )

6. Open My Computer and click on “tools” and then folder options and then select the second tab and find the option “show hidden files or folders” select that and make sure “Hide protected operating system files” is NOT checked

(Warning deleting or altering any protected file may make your system unstable or crash. be sure to change this option back at the end of this exercise)

7. Now copy all files from drive where you have mount Windows 7 iso, remember all the files must be copied to the usb key

8. Now reboot your computer and press F12 to get your BIOS boot choice screen (Varies by OEM, Check your Manufacturers Website) and select USB drive as your boot drive. You can also go into your BIOS Settings under “Boot” and arrange boot sequence so USB or Removable Media is on the top of the list

9. If every thing goes fine, Your Windows 7 Installation should start from your USB drive.

This should work on not only a USB drive but an external HDD provided the Partition is active and bootable AND your BIOS supports booting from removable media, check your Manufacturers website if you are unsure but most new laptops and computers allow booting from removable media.

This type of install is perfect for laptop that lack an optical drive or units that have a burnt out optical drive. Enjoy this
    Last edited by Raj; 16-11-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: External Links not allowed.

Re: How to install Windows 7 from USB flash drive for Windows XP users

I use a tool called Unetbootin. This tool lets me to create bootable usb drive. I just need to provide ISO file or any other bootable media. The best thing about this tool is that you can try any kind of operating system on this. It is also possible to create a linux disc on the same. It is quiet easier. Another important thing, it is necessary to format the drive in Fat32 format or else it will not boot properly.