Windows 2003 Server is currently the only operating system Microsoft to be as successful. Both the routines of disk drives as its memory management, Windows Server 2003 outperform XP and 2000 on all points.
Windows Server to Workstation Converter
Tests have shown that Windows Server 2008 is faster than Windows Vista SP1. This is definitely the fact that it is much discharge of services and features that make it more streamlined than the client version the rest as they did for Windows Server 2003, compared to Windows XP. One of the practices that ultimately goes out of fashion is to use a server operating system for client use. In aid of those users who do not know what operations play in making WS2008 identical to Vista, there has been a program that tends to set all the missing features, such as Ready Boost, the Sidebar and much more. Obviously starting to put Aero, the Wireless and a whole range of additional services, the operating system will become heavier.
If you're tired of manually performing all the settings on your old system, you should try this tool that lets you simple steps to amend your Windows Server 2008 to leave it as an operating system for home use. Among other things, improves compatibility with games, wireless enabled, allows you to locate the famous vista sidebar and optimizes CPU performance for programs.
- The first thing to do is to disable this screen, which appears on every reboot and offers to give roles to your server (print server, file server, etc). Click on the checkbox do not show this page at logon
- This feature will be accessible via Start > Administrative Tools > Manage Your Server.
- Windows 2003 Server does not have a Welcome Screen where you are asked to enter your username and password. But no matter, it is always possible to create users by using the new later lusrmgr.msc (Local Users and Groups). Two other possibilities exist to create a user as XP or 2000. For this, use the item Run from the Start menu and enter there the command: rundll32 netplwiz.dll, UsersRunDll. You get the old screen to add users (in the same way you can control user password via: control userpasswords2).
- The addition is done conventionally using the Add button, then filling in the information requested. Then click Next and enter your password and click Next the next screen will ask you to indicate the level of access rights that user has. For maximum choice, use the group Administrators and end with the Close button.
- Now that account user is created, it is now possible to tell the system to use the account is set by default so. Windows LOG it automatically, as this not be possible with XP
- If your user management window is closed, you open it again. (Run command rundll32 netplwiz.dll, UsersRunDll). Select the user you wish to be the default user and uncheck the box next to Users must enter hovering just above. Validate your configuration by auto-login Apply. At this point, a popup window should prompt you to enter and retype the password for this user so that it is finally used as a user of Auto-Login.
- Despite the fact that the Auto-login is enabled, the screen displayed during a CTRL + Alt + DEL which is still active. A screen saver password protected or uses the Windows + L. If finally you do not want any more see this screen, perform the following operation.
- Go to: Start > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy
- Then in: Local Policies go to > Security Options
- On the right side of the window you will have to set strategies that will appear one of which must be named: Interactive Login. Do not use Ctrl + Alt + Del. Use Double Click and then choose the option for Disable.
- Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security. That is one thing more annoying while surfing the Net from the system. Go to: Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs. Then go to the item Add / Remove Windows Components and look for Advanced Security Settings for Internet Explorer.
- Once found, click Details and uncheck this option and confirm your changes with OK.
- Now you will have to install the Sun JVM. Windows Server 2003 is shipped without the Java Virtual Machine. Java Virtual Machine Microsoft no longer being maintained, it is clearly useless to install the old version even if she was much lighter than the version of SUN. SUN JVM is monitored and is regularly updated to correct potential security vulnerabilities. Grab a copy of Sun's Java VM from Sun's download page. The installation process is simple, it does not require a restart of the PC. It now times to disable the Shutdown Event Tracker. It allows you to restart your system without the nuisance of a bloody event trace window.
- Then you will have to disable Tracker Events. Because Windows Server 2003 is a serve, the event tracker plays a crucial role in order to keep the updates and know why the server has been stop or restart. In our case, we wish to transform it into a workstation, this feature will also disable carrier flexibility during system reboot.
Group Policy Settings
- For this you need to run gpedit.msc to edit the policies of the group. Go to Start > Run, type gpedit.msc" and press Enter.
- Now, head into the tree Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. On the right side of the screen you will see a list of parameters available, including one named Show tracker events. If everything was successful, then upon reboot, you should not have the tracker event. This being done, your system starts to seriously look at a workstation on a server in 2003.
Setting up Graphic Acceleration
- In fact, Windows 2003 Server, as its name suggests is set to turn the machine on which it is installed, a server! And not a workstation also, any graphics acceleration has been disabled, since unwanted.
- For activating the same, right click your desktop and then Properties > Settings > Advanced tab > Troubleshooting and move the cursor so that the acceleration can complete. Confirm with OK.
- Then we must enable DirectX to take advantage of all the capabilities of your graphics card.
- Click Start > Run and type dxdiag and press Enter. If the tool asks you to approve an Internet connection to validate the certificate WHQL, then accept. Then you move on the View tab and check the 3 dialogs DirectDraw, Direct3D Acceleration and texture. It'll just download the latest drivers for your card dated graphics.
- Enabling the Sound Acceleration. You must first activate the Windows Audio service in the Windows services. This service is not enabled by default. For that, go to Start > Run and type services.msc and click Enter, find the offending service and change its startup mode to Automatic. Once done, then run dxdiag and move the tab Sound. Then move the cursor to complete the acceleration.