Thread: Installing XP SP3 on VMware Fusion

Installing XP SP3 on VMware Fusion

For those who have an Intel Mac, you need a program to access software for Windows. I recently wondered if Vista or Windows XP. Now I read a good article that talks about which we can use virtualization software to integrate Windows on our Mac. VMware Fusion is one of the best software I had to test on Mac OSX for all categories. This is an app that allows you to run Mac OSX on a machine with an Intel-based operating system foreign to the heart of a virtual machine, not just Windows (98, ME, XP) and Linux, Solaris, Chrome OS, etc. Installing Fusion can no longer simply being limited to practically run the installer, choose the destination disk, enter the serial number and that's pretty much it.

I insert the original CD of its operating system (for me it was Windows XP Pro), note also that you can use a disk image, and that the install of Windows starts, just like if you 'install on a PC. Besides Macs based on Intel processors are now fully transparent. Those who had made the mouth (nameless) when Apple chose Intel now understand that we all benefit, Apple addicts, had to make that choice. Windows now installs without flinching, he is overjoyed to find his or her choice of processors. And everything else is in keeping. But back to our Dell Mini Mac OSX option. Installation of Win XP is a bit laborious (it does not remake, eh Bill?), Especially as he must suffer the cascading updates of Windows and is a long time. I had to put almost a day and a half to complete the install and update.

Note again a Dashboard allows you to configure the operating system Fusion very sharp. You can share files seamlessly with the Mac that is on the floor below, adjust the size of the RAM, hard disk size allocated to Windows. I had given 5GB in a first draft and it has not proved sufficient. As I could not (failed) resize the partition dynamically in Fusion, I had thought to increase the cursor in the dashboard there is nothing. It took my mind to delete my partition and start allocating 7Go, the minimum with SP3. Anyway, once in place, it is quite fascinating and it's nothing to say! Windows XP running well on the Dell mini with 1GB of memory allocated to Windows.

The concept itself is amazing. With VMware Fusion, it is possible to do things radically novel in real life! For example to Win XP pause is like the operating system would freeze at a time T. Windows XP is doing an update that seems endless, I paused fusion dishes, I leave the app, I switch off Dell Mini and I'm going to bed. The next morning I turn back the mini, I raise Fusion and Windows XP update their resumes as if nothing happened. Amazing! Mounted volumes on the Mac (disk drive, USB key) can be used with Win XP, in which case they disappear from the Mac desktop (if you have selected the isolated PC). If you leave Fusion volumes assigned to the PC again become available in Mac OSX.

I installed my PC and I use it so perfectly smooth and transparent. Now my Dell Mini has a dual function. It is a PC that is also a Mac OSX Leopard is also a PC running Windows XP Pro. I am able to use Mac or PC software by turning a simple software emulation. Needless to say I highly recommend VMware Fusion: ease of installation, use, setting clear, smooth operation, this software is simply awesome

Re: Installing XP SP3 on VMware Fusion

Installing VMware

Installing XP on a virtual machine is no different from installing on a regular computer. From the very beginning of the installation of a new system (for example, when you enter the registration code) must adjust to a different keyboard and get used to the interface that is on a Mac looks a bit strange. I must say that the installation of Windows loaded processor almost completely, and perform any other action at the same time, it was quite difficult. Installation of the system took about 30 minutes, and immediately thereafter could safely play games and run other applications.

Sounds strange, but XP on a virtual machine as rapidly as in real life. Everything works briskly, without delay, and the brakes - a browser, toys. In general, the Windows under VMWare Fusion is not satisfactory. It is possible to configure access to files on your computer and the network, configure the DVD drive and other storage devices. There is a function of Unity, which allows the display windows guest system is not inside the windows virtual machine, and as if those applications are running under Mac OS X. Using Unity easy to forget all about the virtual machine. Another interesting feature - a snapshot of the system. The user can at any time to maintain the state system, so that in case of undesired change back to the saved state - as well as in computer games.

One can be a big fan of Mac OS, but I must admit that sometimes there is a need to use Windows, especially in the context of business use of their Mac. So I looked at the options open to me.

For this you will need the following things to be done :

• Parallels
    • VMware Fusion
    • Bootcamp.

• I tried VMware Fusion and Bootcamp and this is one of the proper tool I got.
    • I started with BootCamp, downloaded for free from Apple's software allows you as its name suggests to choose which OS you want to boot that can be Mac or Windows. Once the software is downloaded and installed, get a Windows CD (XP or Vista) with its license, and follow the procedure. About 20 minutes later you're on Windows. The choice is made when you start your machine when you turn it on, hold down the ALT key and you will have a choice between booting Windows or Mac. At that time, the problems start, in effect, you must create a disk containing the drivers to install MAC devices under Windows: Wi-Fi card, internet, sound, etc .
    • That is long enough, especially as long as you have not installed and configured all devices under Windows, if you need to search for information on the Internet, the only solution is to reboot. Not very practical. Personally that's what prompted me to try VMware Fusion. The factory VMware skips the BIOS phase relatively quickly - which can be relatively difficult to access. There are still ways and means to do so. To slow down the boot process permanently - which should allow regular access to the BIOS must proceed as follows werden.Virtuelle terminals from a machine then edit the appropriate *. vmx File.
    • Do you need regular access to a virtual machine which normally just in the background potters before her worth, if necessary, the use of VNC. As in other VMware products is also in merger possible within the configuration of the virtual machine a VNC server to configure.

Installing Windows on VMWare :

• After you install Fusion open it and proceed with the configuration of our virtual machine that will go to host our Windows XP when launched the program should see a window like this and click on New.
    • Unlike Parallels Desktop, when you create a new virtual machine settings that are required are smaller, as more detailed and specific configurations will be customized and defined at the end of the procedure, so when there is only proceed by selecting the type and version of OS that we want to virtualizes.
    • The next step allows us to identify our virtual machine by the name of our choice, and specify if there were to follow the guidelines already set, an alternative path in which to live our disk image.
    • You must now set the maximum size of the disk, we intend to assign to our host operating system, the default configuration provides for the gradual occupation of space, but there are also settings that allow you to immediately allocate all the capacity necessary or possibly to divide the disk image into fragments the size of 2Gb (to facilitate a possible displacement).
    • Now via the Windows Easy Install feature of Fusion, we can already tell the program all the credentials to install the OS, such as your name, a password and serial number of our version of Windows, so as not having to re-enter during installation.
    • The last step before Fusion delegate to the onerous task of installing Windows, allows us to choose between two possible ways of installation, and then specify whether you proceed through the disc itself, or using an ISO image.
    • At this point the install wizard stops here, thus providing a video screen classic Windows XP.
    • The first thing I advise you to do is install VMware Tools, such as those for the version of Parallels Desktop, allowing better integration with OS X host operating system, a simple example is that of the cursor, thanks to the past when Tools Support mouse from your Mac desktop to the window that hosts the virtual machine, it is recognized automatically and allows you to navigate the Windows desktop, thus enabling drag and drop directly to the host operating system.
    • To install just click on Virtual Machine in the top menubar, and select Install VMware Tools. but now you are wondering. the RAM settings, the connection of removable devices there are. As mentioned above configurations are done retrospectively, so now the thing to do is turn off the virtual machine, always click on Virtual Machine in the menubar above and clicking on Power Off.
    • We can now click on Settings (the same menu of the Power Off) and go to set the details that were left. RAM this panel can increase or decrease at will the amount of memory to be allocated to the virtual machine.
    • Network This section allows you to select how the internet connection of the host operating system, the most practical approach is that the NAT is completely transparent to the user selecting the connection mode, which is basically shared by the OSX virtual machine.
    • USB the user can decide whether or not to support and enable the detection of USB devices connected to the virtual machine, and also with its check can ensure that they are recognized and installed automatically when you connect.
    • CD / DVD as USB devices, can automatically recognize the disc inserted, or choose which player import and finally whether to use a disk image as a physical CD or DVD.
    • Shared Folders allows the creation of shared folders between OS X and Windows XP, a sort of container common to both OS, which can copy, create and edit files. To create one, simply click on the + in the lower left panel that appears and select Add Shared Folder at this point will just give it a unique name to this folder, and specify which directory on your Mac reference.
    • These folders are displayed in the virtual machine within the Network Neighborhood in your workgroup network.
    • Nothing to do just to use Windows. Essentially the configuration stops here, since you now have a proven system and you used often, the functionality of the virtual machine in every way reflect those of a normal PC, you can install programs, surf the Internet, download mail, use the 'instant messaging etc.
    • Fusion automatically recognizes the attached devices, mounted in My Computer, then when you plug in a usb stick video will appear on its window with the documents.

To disconnect instead there are two methods:

• The first, the classic by the bottom bar of Windows XP, click on the green arrow you can completely disable the device and remove it from your Mac
    • The second allows the pen to disconnect from the host operating system and mount it and make it visible on OSX, just click on the USB symbol on the bottom right of the window bar and select Disconnect and see the same device appear on the desktop of your Mac.
    • I just wanted to show you one last thing which is management of rapid peripherals, network and points seen previously there are drop-down menu with all possible actions available, you can find at the bottom of the menu that opens click on Virtual Machine in the menubar at the top.

Quick Setup Steps :

1. Once installed, the wizard is complete and easy to handle. We guide you through the different steps to get started.
    2. The first screen asks us to specify the system that we install for the wizard to set the hardware configuration (disk type, amount of RAM, etc..) To the needs of the operating system you want to install.
    3. Here you can specify the disk space and small important detail, tell him right then select the virtual disk (allocate all disk space now), very necessary for the Windows Installer do not say that has not found any hard disk.
    4. Then next step is for Windows installation. This helps us to configure the default user and specify the license number that you want to install Windows. To say that I fill in all fields, but then again asked me the license (not the user). Do not know if it's something I did wrong or perhaps the installation disc that I used did not accept this parameter (Windows XP Professional with valid license).
    5. And with this last screen, we're done with the wizard. You you have to put the CD and hope to see as Windows is installed without major problems.
    6. And so, after several reboots the system, the virtual, of course, we already have Windows XP Professional into a Mac. The performance is quite good, I was pleasantly surprised. And if you have doubts about the sound, network or display settings, everything perfect. Windows sings happily connect to the Internet and I have a resolution of 1024x768 at 32 bit color, can rise without problems.
    7. If you want to move files from the virtual to the real system and vice versa, from the virtual system itself have direct access to our user folder on the Mac, we can establish a read-only access or read and write.

Re: Installing XP SP3 on VMware Fusion

Installing Ubuntu on VMWare

• VMWare program developed by VMware Inc. is able to emulate the Macintosh operating systems Microsoft Windows (including Windows 7), Linux, Solaris, MS-DOS, FreeBSD, OS Beta Google etc.
    • Open your browser and go to the official website of ubuntu: www.ubuntu.com . You'll immediately notice the orange button to download the file to download Ubuntu. Click Take the tour if you want to know more about this operating system.
    • Click Download Ubuntu you will find the download page. Just click the green button to start. The version of the OS will be highlighted in the text Begin download and be Desot Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit).
    • Once downloaded you will download in the folder of your Mac files with the extension. Iso operating system.
    • Proceed by opening the application described above VMware Fusion (driving is on the second version of the software, but in the third procedure is the same). You will have the main page, where you can see and directly launch the virtual machine operating system that you have already installed on your Mac to create a new virtual machine click the bottom left New.
    • Begin installation of the virtual machine. VMware will not detect the presence of an installation CD (in this case through the installation of ubuntu. Iso file download, the installation will be the same if you installed the OS using a CD installation). Then click Continue without disk.
    • In the second step of the installation, called Media setup, we include the source of the OS that we are going to install. For installation from. Iso file click on Use the document image of the operating system installation disk. In the Finder window will appear that we will find the file. Iso previously downloaded.
    • Once you choose the specific file and then you can click on Continue to go to the step of installation. Then from here choose the type of operating system that is installed on the virtual machine. Next to operating system choose Linux and next to version choose Ubuntu (or another if you have a different version).
    • Also click here to continue for installing Linux standard. With the standard installation, VMware Fusion uses the information to automatically install Linux disk image that we downloaded and installed the OS-specific drivers automatically. If we want to put the right data (account and password). Check the option Make available the home folder of the virtual machine to read or read and modify (write) files in the folders of the Ubuntu operating system.
    • Also click here to complete the installation of Ubuntu. We will show the standard features of the OS we are going to install (memory, hard disk, network etc.). To alter them just go to customize settings. If you want the virtual machine to open the Mac at startup, check the option below. To install the final simply click Finish.
    • Registered under the name of your virtual machine and you're done. Return direct to the home page of VMware Fusion, but now you will notice that appeared on our Ubuntu operating system. Clicking on the Play button next to the writing start Ubuntu OS.
    • Now you can use the Ubuntu operating system using virtual machine with VMware Fusion application.

VMware

For VMware Fusion, you know, it boggles the mind, the installation is done alone. For those who do not know, Fusion lets you run Windows in a window directly from Mac OS, no need to restart as BootCamp, you run both OS simultaneously.

Fusion is simply great and a breeze to use. After downloaded VMware Fusion , also available in Beta version , run the installation. In 20 minutes, Windows is installed and is accessible from a window (which can switch to full screen) on Mac OS.

No need to install drivers or anything, Fusion comes with a small program that automatically handles to make the connection between the Mac and Windows configurations. In other words, Windows is configured by yourself like internet, Wi-Fi, network, USB, sound, etc.

The installation files are not read from optical media, but from 'Image of XP on the hard disk, with huge advantages in total time to install the system. The difference between the two procedures and 'huge, visually it is stucco seeing the progress bar while copying all files.

Transferring files between Windows and MAC

It is my opinion the crucial point. For the application to be the killer app it was absolutely necessary to pass this exam. If you choose BootCamp, an icon called Windows equivalent of your Macintosh HD disk will appear on your desktop. So you can browse at leisure through the Finder and Windows files, for example, file documents on your Windows desktop or in the My Documents folder. When you pass under Windows, you will find your files and uploaded. By cons when you're on Windows, there is no equivalent option, you can retrieve documents stored on your primary hard drive (Macintosh HD). So you restart often.

If you are using Fusion, you can move documents between the two environments by simply dragging and dropping. Very practical, it works very well. Nothing to say.

Postive Points :

• Bootcamp is Free to use.
    • Here VMware is easy to install and you can use Run Windows from Mac OS and on the same hand you can Transfer files between Windows and Mac between Mac and Windows.

Negative Points :
    • This requires reboot to use Windows and you also need to manually configure the drivers for Windows.
    • The setup for the same is a bit complex. There is no possibility to transfer files between Windows and Mac in Bootcamp.
    • VMware is chargeable and it is very memory intensive

The price may tip the balance. As usual, if you pay, it has a more efficient. Do not forget that Fusion is very greedy in terms of memory. Be careful. If you plan to use Fusion often plan to invest in the memory unless your Mac is already shielded. Personally I have 1GHz of memory on my MacBook, I have chosen to allocate 512MB of memory when using Windows. Fusion gives you the option to choose according to your future use of Windows. You will understand my choice turns to Fusion is no comparison in my BootCamp. for those who wish to separate from BootCamp to pass under Fusion, do not panic, BootCamp allows you to delete the partition on your disk that you made to install Windows. Simply start BootCamp, choose the third option: "restore the startup disk as a single volume. Barely 5 minutes later your machine is clean.

Parallel Desktop: practical as fusion, but still lacks stability (a lot of crashes when the revival of a virtual machine that requires restarting the mac ). I find it less efficient in display windows of jerky when moving. But for the office work no worries.

BootCamp 10.5.1 problems in configurations disappear since they just put the Leopard CD after install to start installing the drivers automatically. Although simpler than a real PC ... Nothing to say except that he must choose sides and start the partition size must be fixed in advance.

Fusion , yet nothing to say, especially since it can use BootCamp installation without rebooting. An important detail: the correspondence of key Mac / PC are available in a menu (necessary when seeking a backslash, for example). Just a final test remains for me to do: what performance between installing bootcamp launched at startup and launch from Merge.

The DMG file occupies about 180 Mb and once count him mounted, the installation screen is very simple. A small detail: to download the file, you will have to register on the website of VMWare and get the serial number. This serial number will allow you to try the software for 30 days. Since we stopped to discuss the trial license, saying that the final cost of a full license is 79.99 U.S. dollars. If you need more licenses, the pack of 5 licenses you have it for 399.99 U.S. dollars including support for 30 days.