Thread: How To: Remote Desktop Using Dynamic DNS, and Multiple Computers

How To: Remote Desktop Using Dynamic DNS, and Multiple Computers

You want to remote your computer, but were unable to do because it is at the rear of router, firewalls, or you cannot remember the IP. This guide will help you to remote a computer rear to the router, to multiple computer rear to the round and then how to assign a host name to your computer system. So you can always connect to it. It does not matter where it is connected and what is the IP you are having.

I am using Vista operating system but it will work exactly in the same way if you are having windows XP.

One more thing only Vista Business and Ultimate have this capability of Remote Desktop.

First Part: Prepare your operating system for the purpose of Remote desktop.

Step 1: The first step is to turn on the remote desktop connections.

1. For doing this, you have to enter the control panel, and then select “system”. In the system window, there you will see a link labeled “Remote Settings”. Then you have to enter the “Remote settings” configuration panel.

2. Now in the “Remote Settings” panel, below the “Remote” tab, you have to make sure that “'Allow Remote Assistance Connections to this Computer” and the “Allow Connections From Computers Running Any Version of Remote Desktop” is selected. This option will allows you to remotely access the XP machine to a Vista machine or the vice-versa.

Step 2: You have to edit the remote desktop Port.

1. Before proceeding with the steps you must know that the editing the registry is potentially dangerous, if you do not have the descent knowledge of the registry then do not go for this step.

2. For allowing connection to multiple computer rear to the router, each computer will require to have a different Remote Desktop listening port. I mean if I am having a desktop and the HTPC rear to the router that I RD to. My desktop will use the default port number 3389 for the purpose of connecting and my HTPC is using the port 3390, and if I add a third computer, I will assign it port 3391and it so on.

3. For changing the port, user will need to make a registry edit. For that purpose open the registry editor by pressing windowkey+R. This will open the run window and then type “regedit” for opening the registry editor.

4. Now in the registry editor, search for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber and then double click on the key.

5. After the key box open, you have to select “decimal”, and then default port (3389) to any other port.

6. After that close this box, then close the editor, and then the port have been changed.

Step 3: Now you have to configure router for port forwarding

1. For enabling the computer to connect rear to a router with a certain port, that port will have to forward to host machine.

2. Each computer that is rear to the router will require different port for the Remote Desktop, and each different port will require to be forwarded in the Router.

3. Due to the large number of different router, I am not able write instructions accurately for all the makes and models.

Re: How To: Remote Desktop Using Dynamic DNS, and Multiple Computers

Second Part: Configure Dynamic DNS Services

Dynamic DNS (Domain Name system) services is a specific window service that can be installed for assigning a hostname to your computer system and then automatically update the online database for matching your current IP (Internet protocol) address. I mean, I am having the host name as something.homeip.net. that has been set up for my laptop. Now when I connect my laptop to a wireless network I get assigned a ne w IP and the DynDNS service will update the host name register online with my current IP. Hence I am able to remote to my machine, and it does not matter where I am.

Step 1: Registeration for Dynamic DNS

1. For setting up a Dynamic DNS service, you can use the free tool that is provided at the “dyndns website.” Visit this site and then select “Create Account”.

2. The only requirement of the DynDNS account is an e-mail address and it is really easy to register there.

3. After you have registered, then just login and after that you have to select the “Service” button, and then on the service page, select the “Dynamic DNS”

4. Now in the Dynamic DNS page, you have to select the “Get Started” that is on the upper right hand side.

5. The next page that will be displayed is of “Add New Hostname”. At this place you can choose the domain name for your computer system. You can choose any name you desire.

6. After completing that type in the host name you need and then select the “Host with IP address” below the service type.

7. If all the information has been entered, you can select “Create Host”. This will display you a list of dynamic DNS hostnames. If require more you can do that by just clicking on “Add New Hostname” in the upper right hand corner.

8. Now your hostname is set up and you have to assign it to your computer system.

Step 2: Configuing the Dynamic DNS Service

1. Now you have the hostname setup, you need to associate that host name with the single machine. For this purpose you have to use the DynDNS updater, which will run as the Windows service for the periodically update the IP database that is associated to your hostname.

2. You have to download the DynDNS updater and for that you have to select “Support” tab on the dyndns website, and then just click on “Download Now”.

3. After you have downloaded the tool you have to install it on your system. This is a normal window setup will not take more time.

4. If the tool is installed you have to launch the updater. In that you have to select what kind of connection you need the config windows, and then enter the DynDNS account name and then the password if it is asked.

5. Now the updater will prompt you to enter the host name, you just have select “Yes” for starting automatic download of the updater that is registered to your account.

6. Then select the hostname that you want to use, and then select “Next”. If you are setting it up for multiple computer system then you have to enter the “Group” and do not forget that group name which you are mentioning here.

7. Once again you have to select “Detect my IP” for assigning you address to the host name.

8. Then enable the automatic IP updating and also tell the program for installing itself as a part of window service. It will make updater completely invisible.

9. If you are able to see a green “Check Mark” Icon present in the system tray, you can right click on it and then select “Exit” if you never want to see it again.

10. Now you have successfully configured the Dynamic DNS service. Reboot you computer system for starting the service.

Third Part: Remote to your Computer

1. Now all the services are setup, you can remote your computer system. For that on a different computer system, open the “Remote Desktop Connection” tools, that will be located in the Start > Accessories > communications.

2. Now in the window, you have to type the hostname that you have assigned to your computer followed by a colon and then the port number you have assigned in the First Part. If you have kept the port as 3389, you will not require inputting the port number.

3. If it is asking for the credentials, then insert the name and password you normally use for the login purpose.

4. Now you are remoted in to your computer system.

Conclusion

Dynamic Network Services, Inc. is a network services company best-known for its free DynDNS dynamic DNS service, which allows users to have a subdomain that points to a computer with regularly-changing IP addresses, such as those served by many consumer-level Internet service providers. An update client installed on the user's computer, or built into a networked device such as a router or webcam, keeps the hostname up to date with its current IP address. DynDNS also offers paid domain registrations, recursive DNS, e-mail forwarding and redirection, SSL certificates, network monitoring, URL redirection, and Virtual private server hosting.