What is a disk image
A disk image is a file of a particular kind, because it consists of a container and a content. Like a parcel post. Under OS X, the vast majority of images are formatted disks Dmg. Besides, if you regularly download applications or updates on the Internet, you have undoubtedly already uploaded images disks. Dmg.
When you double click a file .Dmg, a new icon appears on the desktop. it is an icon most often a completely white rectangle or sometimes bearing a drawing of the logo of the company's software or the application itself. This is the volume up from the disk image, so to say as a sort of partition or volume temporarily.This is the contents of the disk image itself.
If you double-click on the volume this time, you learn the content of this volume. It is important to know that what you see here is present in the volume .
So to see the contents of a disk image,it is necessary to mount the first volume. A disk image is composed of two elements:
- The file itself (the container), which may be of different formats.
- The volume (which once installed will allow access to content), which also may be of different formats.
It is possible to use Disk Utility to create a disk image , but DMGConverter offers increased opportunities in the creation / conversion, making software very interesting.
DMGConverter is a small free application useful to create and convert disk images. With this application, you can create your own your own disk images and in many formats, compressed or not. You can even encrypt your disk images and set a password.
DMGConverter also gives you the possibility to convert the format of the disk image files. For example convert a disk image. Dmg disk image into a .Iso. DMGConverter also allows to segment a disk image into several pieces. This is good practice to send a large disk image via e-mail.
Supported file formats :
- Disk image as read-write (. Dmg) = The disk image file can be modified
- Image disc read-only (. Dmg) = The disk image created can not be changed
- Disk image compression with ADC
- Disk image with zlib compression
- Disk image compression with bzip2 (MacOS 10.4 or higher)
- Master Disk Image DVD / CD (. Cdr)
- Disc image of low intensity
- ISO9660 format (. Iso)
- Joliet ISO9660 format (. Iso)
- Disk image hybrid multi-platform (. Iso)
- Mac OS Extended / hybrid ISO (Joliet)
- Mac OS Extended / UDF hybrid
- ISO (Joliet) / UDF Hybrid
- Image disc read-only (old)
- Disk image compression with ADC (former)
- Disk image with Ndidi compression (old)
Formats supported for volume creation:
- Mac OS Standard
- Mac OS Extended case sensitive
- Mac OS Extended
- Mac OS Extended sensitive Journaled
- Mac OS Extended Journaled
- UNIX file system
- Gzip compression (fast)
- Bzip2 compression (Better compression)