Thread: How to use Remote Desktop in Windows 7

How to use Remote Desktop in Windows 7

It is not mandatory to use utilities like RealVNC to take control of a remote Windows machine. Microsoft includes an inbuilt protocol for taking high-performance remote access called RDP. Here is a small guide for "Remote Desktop" of Pro and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7!

Since Windows 2000, Microsoft has ensured that a home user can take remote control of your PC remained in the office. Only the Professional Edition and Ultimate (Ultimate) of Windows can be taken into control.

However, any Windows (versions including Starter, Home Basic) can be then used to take control of the remote machine. We can even do this from a Mac since Microsoft has also developed a RDP client for MacOSX.

Let's see how to use the remote control of Windows 7 "Ultimate RC" so you can control your PC from any computer connected to the Internet.

Prior Step:

Obviously, to take control of a machine via the Internet, it must be able to find this machine and designate through the canvas. For this, we invite you to read and practice the trick: How to access the computer running Windows 7 without fixed IP

Re: How to use Remote Desktop in Windows 7

Prepare the network interface

The router is blocking, by default, the remote control. The first thing to do is set the router to allow this traffic.

For this you need to know the IP address of your machine on your LAN. It is best to configure the same network interface on your PC so it has a fixed address that does not. There are several ways to proceed, but you can do this:
    • Open the Network and Sharing Center
    • Click on Change settings of the card (in the left pane)
    • Right click on the Local Area Connection and select Properties
    • Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4
    • Select Use the following IP address
    • Enter an IP address appropriate for your network (eg 192.168.1.99 if your router is 192.168.0.99)
    • Enter 255.255.255.0 in subnet mask
    • In default gateway enter the IP address of your router (generally router is 192.168.1.1).
    • Enter the Preferred DNS server IP address of your router
    • Check the Validate settings upon exit
    • Click OK

Prepare the Router

This stage differs from one router to another. We will give you a general idea and you should refer to the manual of your router for confirmation.
    • Go to the administration interface of the router by typing its IP address in the web browser (for example 192.168.1.1)
    • Enter Login and Password
    • In the page that comes up, search for Port Forwarding.
    • Then add following data:
      • Name: Give it a unique name like Remote Desktop
      • External Port: 3389
      • Internal Port: 3389
      • Destination IP address/server: Enter the IP address of the computer as defined in step 1 (e.g. 192.168.1.99)

Prepare the computer

We can now proceed to the preparation of the machine that you want to take control. Of course, for obvious security reasons, this function is not allowed by default. We must validate it. Here's how.
    • Make sure that all the profiles in your system are protected by passwords.
    • Open the Start menu
    • Enter Allow Access in the search box
    • Select Allow remote access to your computer
    • Select the Allow connections assistance ...
    • Tick the box Allow especially the connection of computers ...
    • If another user you should be able to remotely access the computer, click on "Select users".
    • Click on Apply and then OK.

This validation automatically takes control of built-in firewall in Windows 7. Feel free to check by going to "Control Panel" - "System and security" - "Allow a program through Windows Firewall" and reconfirm if the option "Remote Desktop" is checked under "Domestic/light company."

Take control of Computer remotely

Now everything is ready for you to take control of your system remotely. From another computer, follow these steps:
    • Open the Start menu
    • Under Vista or Windows 7, enter office in the search box
    • Click on Remote Desktop Connection
    • In "Computer", enter either the URL of your machine or its IP address.
    • Click Connect.
    • A few seconds later, you will see the remote PC screen appear in a window.

Can we connect to Linux machines from Windows 7 without using VNC...
    Because what you explained here does not seems new...
    You can use WinMo 6.5 or 6 even to control your Win7 machine remotely, ive seen a vid of it.
    the fastest way to start it is > start> and type "mstsc" in the box

Any help on how to find what is the preferred DNS server that you mention in 'Prepare the network interface' section?
    one more question, is there any other name for port forwarding in the router? (all i see is port triggering).
    when im setting the forwarding port in my router im getting the message 'can not add same rule'. please help!

Do all your port having the same name or the unique name? If they are having the same name then this kind of error is possible only. So first correct the same. If all are having the same name then give each port a individual name so that they will work with the unique. So first do this and let me know whether it is working for you or not.

Hi, i am trying to use my Windows Mobile 6 cell phone as the remote. Any help??

Quote Originally Posted by tsouron View Post
    Hi,
    Any help on how to find what is the preferred DNS server that you mention in 'Prepare the network interface' section?

thanks.
    Click on Start button ---> Run ---> and Type command cmd ---> Press [enter] key and then type ipconfig /all to get a list of DNS servers.

tsouron Guest

hi,
    This is the massege im getting, Please advice.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by tsouron; 08-04-2010 at 08:41 PM.

brucetag Guest

I heard that it's not supported.

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
    It is not mandatory to use utilities like RealVNC to take control of a remote Windows machine. Microsoft includes an inbuilt protocol for taking high-performance remote access called RDP. Here is a small guide for "Remote Desktop" of Pro and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7!

Since Windows 2000, Microsoft has ensured that a home user can take remote control of your PC remained in the office. Only the Professional Edition and Ultimate (Ultimate) of Windows can be taken into control.

However, any Windows (versions including Starter, Home Basic) can be then used to take control of the remote machine. We can even do this from a Mac since Microsoft has also developed a RDP client for MacOSX.

Let's see how to use the remote control of Windows 7 "Ultimate RC" so you can control your PC from any computer connected to the Internet.

Prior Step:

Obviously, to take control of a machine via the Internet, it must be able to find this machine and designate through the canvas. For this, we invite you to read and practice the trick: How to access the computer running Windows 7 without fixed IP

Here is what i have setup

I have an ubuntu machine that i a part of a larger network which i do not have admin access to(sudo acess only). It has a private ip of range 172.xxx. I have installed Win XP in VMware(which is installed on ubuntu) and want to access that virtual machine from my win 7 home premium laptop (have adim acess and acess to network router). How can i follow the steps to acessing router when i dont ahve access to the guest network i.e Win xp (inside VM). I have used NAT in VM to give a private ip to the vitual machine.

How is RDP possible in this case?