Thread: Enable write NTFS partition in Ubuntu

Enable write NTFS partition in Ubuntu

The coexistence of Linux (Ubuntu in my case) and Windows on one computer is much more common. One of the problems common in such situations is to exchange data between both operating systems, personal documents, for example.

Personally, I have a hard drive dedicated to data and hope that Ubuntu and Windows can both read and write to the disk.

The latter was partitioned with NTFS under Windows, my original operating system. So no problem there.

Linux disks are formatted in EXT, and therefore in a different format, which does not facilitate the exchange of data between two systems.

Now playing a NTFS hard drive Ubuntu is available from the system installation. Remains to enable the writing of data.

That is the purpose of this tutorial is based on Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn).

The reading of data on an NTFS drive with Ubuntu

I opened the job. Among the readers viewing I see my hard drive and Windows, what interests me here, the hard disk containing my personal data (disk named "data"):

To open, as in Windows, double click it and navigate to the target directory:

1. open with text editor Gedit a html file.
    2. No problem to read the file that opens.
    3. Make a some change and tries to register.
    4. g you will get alert warns that the file is read but still proposes to replace it. click Replace.
    5. A new alert you will receive that tells the disc is read-only.

Re: Enable write NTFS partition in Ubuntu

Enable writing to NTFS hard disk under Ubuntu

Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn just install the package ntfs-config. Open Synaptic (System menu / Administration / Synaptic Package Manager) and do a search for ntfs-config. Select it for installation and click Apply:

Now that the installation is complete, and before going further, I will return to Windows to rename my hard drive. Indeed, the focus of the e in "data" will cause problems. I will call the documents, which is also speaking.

Back in Ubuntu.

Start the configuration tool from the menu Applications / System Tools / Tool Configuration NTFS

In the window that appears choose the partition where you want to enable writing and validate by clicking on Apply:

n the next window select the two options and validate:

Writing Test

I created a new document text using Gedit, Ubuntu created a directory on my hard drive "Documents" NTFS formatted, and saved my text document in this directory without any problems: