Thread: How to make your iPod Touch / iPhone Working in Windows 7 64-Bit

How to make your iPod Touch / iPhone Working in Windows 7 64-Bit

You will need following software:

• Download the latest iTunes 64-Bit release from apple.com
    • Installed copy of iTunes on a Vista x64 system available to you
    • Basic knowledge of installing drivers in Windows

Ok, so first off, you obviously need to install iTunes. Install it as you normally would and let it do it’s thing. Once you have done that, you will notice the following error if you try to start iTunes with your iPod Touch plugged in:

The reason this happens is because the iTunes installer does not install the Mobile Device Support component which is necessary for the iPod Touch to work correctly. To remedy this issue do the following:

1. Copy the “Mobile Device Support” directory from your Vista system to the same location on your 7 system (Located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\).
    2. Once you have done that, we need to merge the appropriate registry entries so the services actually work. Merge THIS registry file and allow all UAC prompts.
    3. Once that is done, now we need to move on to the hardest part of the whole process. Installing the correct driver for the iPod Touch. Windows 7 incorrectly sees the device as a digital camera, so we need to fix this manually. To do this head into the device manager and select the iPod (see screenshots below).

Once you have done that, right click and go to “Update Driver”. You will now see this:

Select “Browse my computer for driver software”. Now you should see this:

Click the button highlighted (hint: it’s the Let me pick… Button).

When the prompt comes up, click have disk and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers\

After doing that click OK and you should see this:

Click Next and the driver will install.

Finally, reboot your computer to allow the Mobile device service to start, and plug in your iPod Touch and fire up iTunes. Your device should now work exactly as it should. Enjoy!

Source: chris123nt.com

Re: How to make your iPod Touch / iPhone Working in Windows 7 64-Bit

hey,
    i got windows 7 64-bit and keep getting the same error mentioned in your post...

i tried what you said to do... and im still getting the same thing -
    iphone isn't even being recognised now.

Any suggestions?
    =)

shilpaworld Guest

hi

Recently while i was searching for the applications for my ipod touch I found a cool application that makes your Ipod Touch like like an Iphone.This applications will add the Iphone icons to your Ipod touch like Phone,SMS,camera and other icons including a fake network signal bar.

Post Re: How to make your iPod Touch / iPhone Working in Windows 7 64-Bit

This sounds OK, but what can you do if you are migrating from WinXP (32) to Win 7 (64) and you wish to synch your iPod Touch with iTunes? Thanks.

angry Re: How to make your iPod Touch / iPhone Working in Windows 7 64-Bit

I spent 2 hours on the phone with an itunes tech assistant and they even sent me to their engineering department but no luck. this really sucks.

dude this worked for my itouch, i had to paste the files in there. thankyou so much couldnt figure out what to do, had to extract files to get itunes on x64 bit windows as well so it was one prob after the other. anyways thanks for posting. peace

ok.. well I don't have a Vista PC, all I have is a XP-x86 and this 7-x64. So if anyone would post a link maybe? Or would copying the XP one work also? I hope this thread is not dead, because I really need to sync my iPhone..

Quote Originally Posted by rain0x1 View Post
    ok.. well I don't have a Vista PC, all I have is a XP-x86 and this 7-x64. So if anyone would post a link maybe? Or would copying the XP one work also? I hope this thread is not dead, because I really need to sync my iPhone..
    You can download the 32 bit version of the itunes for the windows xp -x86 and easily install it in the windows xp system and then open itunes and connect iphone and sync data and all pretty similar. Similarly, download the 64 bit version of itunes and install it in windows 7 os and follow the steps given in the first post to simply sync the iphone in your system.

When the prompt comes up, click have disk and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers\

[CENTER]After doing that click OK and you should see this:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ok i got to this step, but my computer dosnt have the drivers oprtion..? what should i do/?? i posted a screen shot of the options it gives me. Hope you can help
    Attached Images Attached Images

The process which you are using is manual method of installing any plug and play hardware in Windows. This is a bit complicated for Apple gadgets. They specifically do not have drivers for Windows and you can communicate with them only with specialized media managers tools like iTunes. I had listed a link below which will guide you for troubleshooting and installing Apple Devices on Windows platform.
    iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows