Thread: Apple Mac os Automator:Automate your tasks

Apple Mac os Automator:Automate your tasks

Introduction

"Automator" to automate your tasks in a few clicks! Until now, only the fans knew AppleScript to automate tasks in OS X. But the vast majority of users do not knew too much on AppleScript, some even unaware of its existence! With "Automator", everyone can now set its system and its applications in a snap! What progress!

So, if you have repetitive tasks and tedious to perform (eg rename and resize the photos in a 5000 file, send mass emails, create events in "iCal", etc ...) and many more do you break head start "Automator" to specify tasks and go and relax! "Automator" is responsible for all work will be done without hesitation! "Automator" works in perfect harmony with all applications on your Mac!

To facilitate task "Automator" is already a library of hundreds of pre-set! Each scheme is scheduled to perform a specific task. Just by simple drag and drop to select such and such actions from the library in order to get a "process".You can combine the actions you want in the order of your choice, and you create multiple "process"!

In addition, you can also use the technology "Spotlight" directly from the "Process" to quickly find the elements to be addressed by the "Process". You can even save your "Processes" for reuse ... or even to share!

Re: Apple Mac os Automator:Automate your tasks

USE Automator:

Start the application "Automator". This first window "starting points" appears on the screen

"Starting Points" when you open a new process, "Automator" you can already choose from a group of starting points that help you create the first part of your process. This facilitates the creation of your process .... (because you never know how to start ... there you know!)

The main window of "Automator" is as follows:
    • The left column "Library" list applications, examples of process and folders "intelligent" to facilitate the use of processes.
    • In addition to the "Functions" you also have "variables" (two buttons at the top of the "Library"). You can indeed create the "Automator" more powerful and more flexible thanks to variables you can of register values and, if necessary, entering in your process. So you here, many constant values to use in your processes.
    • By selecting the "Actions" and clicking on one of the applications listed in the "Library", a number of pre-established and provided with "Automator" is displayed in the column "Action". For example, if you select "Photos", you see you already have a large number of possible actions.
    • The small window at the bottom left allows you to help you and offers advice based on what you select in "Variables" and "Actions".
    • The main window is the right one. This is where you create your "process" with simple "drag and drop" of your "Actions" and "Variables".
      When you open "Automator" for the first time, a "process" appears in the empty window. To add "Actions" or "variables" in the "Process" is dragging the column "Actions" or "variables" to the area of workflow!

What is an "Action" a "variable" and a "process" something about Automator ?

An "Action" is an element that performs a single specific task. Each "Action" is equivalent to a stage. "Actions" are combined by adding them one after another in a "process".

The "Variables" allow you to create the "Automator" more powerful and more flexible. So you here many constant values to use in your processes.You can use the "Variables" in "Automator" to save the values and re-use later and to anywhere in the process. There are a number of variables whose values have been created for you.

You can add "variables" to the "Actions" by dragging a variable to a pop-up menu to a computer or editable text field in an "Action".You can add an action to a "process" by dragging it. Get the value of the variable is created.Certain actions can help you choose a variable declared from a menu. Other actions include the option to create a new variable from a menu.

"Automator" includes a library of actions and variables useful performing many tasks. Some "action" does not require input or information.For example, the "Stop playing iTunes" knows what to do, knows which application contact and requires no adjustments or additional information.

Some "action" they need additional information. When you add an "Action" requires additional information on a "Process", the action has a simple interface with fields, menus, boxes or buttons for you can provide all the settings in which the action required. Setting up an "Action" is very similar to entering information into a dialog or the definition of preferences. Everything is very intuitive.

To perform a complex task involving several steps, the "Actions" often receive information from a previous action (input) and / or provide information to the following action (output). "Automator" to send this information in sequence , action to the next in the "Processes".

Some "action" can change the type of information they receive before posting. This is one of the most useful "Automator". For example, the "Convert text to audio file" is the text and generates an audio file of speech!

"Actions" may also use information from other applications or system. For example, an "action" can use a group of "Address Book", a play list "iTunes" or elements selected in the Finder. The action can then communicate these facts to the next action.

A "Process" is a document that accomplishes a task. It is composed of a series of "Actions". Each "Action" is a step in the task. To build the "Processes", drag shares of the "Library" to the area of "Process" in the right side of the window. When an action is added to the "Processes", "Automator" actions for links the output of an action is passed as input to the next.

All "Actions" can not operate in sequence with each other. Some "Actions" require specific types of input. If an "Action" should receive a particular type of information, it must appear in the "Processes" after action generates this kind of information.
    For example, an "Action" that reads the text can not be placed after "Action" generating image files.

The type of input required for an "Action" appears in the upper right of this. The type of output generated by an "Action" figure in the lower right of it.

When the output of an "Action" is the entrance to the "action" following a connection between the exit and entry of "Actions" is visible in the process. If the output of an "Action" and the entry of the "Action" are not next to one another, no connection is established in the process and it is possible that the type of the entrance or the exit, is shown in red.

Run the "process" for the test or perform the task. When you start a "Process", it executes each action sequentially. The status messages that appear in the bottom of the window indicates what "Action" is running and when it ends. Whenever a "Action" ends, a green mark appears in the title bar of the "Action".

Remember to save the "Process" during the various stages of its construction, as you would with any document .... It would be a hard to start all over again!

EXAMPLE OF OPERATION:

creating a "process" is ultimately not so complicated as that! It is like LEGO, you must follow the documents in order to create a chain of actions in order to get the desired result. Of course, we should not put the cart before the horse and follow a certain logic in the sequence of actions!

Take a specific example:

When I started to use "Automator" I had no difficulty in understanding the fundamental concepts. When I have chosen examples that do not use folders, everything went well.

I encountered great difficulties when I tried to solve the following problem: create a folder that I will trigger certain actions automatically, when I slide it inside an element.

File action in Automator
    A "File Action" is what? is a series of actions to be triggered by the arrival of a drag in this case. For example: I create a folder I call "Reducing weight photos. As soon as I drag a photo in the weight of the photo is reduced.

How this issue of reducing weight pictures?
    Before describing the various actions, it must be understood that the creation Action File shall be established at the time of the recording process and it will set the selected file. This does not automatically place the different activities.

Practically:
    • Start by creating the "Office" folder that we call "reduced images"
    • Run "Automator" and choose "Custom".
    • Select "Files and folders" in the "Library".
    • Drag "Get selected Finder items" in the process window (large window
      be right).
    • Select "Photos" in the "Library".
    • Drag "Resize Images" in the process window.
    • In the message that appears click on "Do not add" if it was a double pictures.
    • - Select, for example a rate of 50%

From that moment the process is created. Here it must be said to "Automator" to create a File.
    To do this:
    • Make "File" / "Save as module"
    • Fill in the fields of writing as indicated below:

So I created a file attached to the file "images reduced. The module is linked to it is: Weight reduction photos. Click Save.

Warning! work on the dossier is not complete. We must say what I want to create this folder. It said: "Setting the actions of the case." For this I am on the desktop and I right click on the reduced images.

The window appears and I select "small images" and "weight reduction photos" ,I close this window and that's it!

It is now "Automator" that will work alone.Simply drag photos to reduce in the "reduced images" to obtain pictures reduced by 50%.

Conclusion:

No doubt your first steps on the "Automator" may be somewhat in darkness, because even if this application is simple to use and very intuitive, it is possible that the sequence of actions is not always right or that some parameters are missing .... If you see an error message displayed, then you need to correct that!

Indeed, it is certain that "Automator" application still just learning, but we learn very quickly and then we greatly appreciate the many opportunities offered by this application. Feel free to experiment in order to have the hand!

Of all the actions proposed by "Automator" include for example the possibility of the "Advertising", ie sending email to a group of well-defined. This will greatly facilitate the task of those of you who use "Mail" as part of a "mailing list".

Finally, there are Internet sites where you can download free "process" ready to be used for many occasions. Here's an example:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator