Thread: How to Create Themes in Windows XP

How to Create Themes in Windows XP

We tend to keep changing the looks of our operating system. Especially the the desktop settings which helps to make better our computer appearnce. We try to set new background image or add new icons for different folders or application. If a user like me uses his computer daily, thus a user like me will get bored seeing the same visual appearnce all the time. The first thing when we have computer is to change desktop settings and enjoy it's visual appearance.

I guess we all like to see our computer better in terms of looks and performance. It's true that we try with many theme software and application available online or someimes installing such themes also create problem for us as it may contain some virus. But what if i say that no need for extra application regarding increasing your visual effects. Yes you can make your own customize themes for Windows XP operating System.

Re: How to Create Themes in Windows XP

Steps For Creating Themes in Windows XP:

• Create Icons Folder:

As you download the icons, you have to collect them ay one place with leaving them untouched. As you create the folder, it will be easy to find or navigate in between the steps for creating themes for windows xp operating system. I would like to create folder in My Documents with name Icons and save all my icons there.

As I am having few icons to select from, I need to decide what icons I am required to change or modify. In this section, I will try to explain customization of windows icons:

All icons on the desktop.

Icons on the Quick Launch bar.

Some of the file-type icons for the entire system.

There are shareware and freeware applications which are available on streamline icon which help you to change Stardock's IconPackager, for example, making a super simple and easy to change the entire thing. In this section I will help you understand the changes done without any additional software.

• Customize Desktop Icons

Check out the icons on normal desktop a the way it looks before any changes. These are the standard icons of My Computer, My Documents, and the Recycle Bin, as well as of folder named Miscellaneous, with two shortcuts.

• Customizing Default Desktop Icons:

Initially just click on Start and then click Control Panel, then click on Appearance and Themes, and below select a task, and click to change the desktop background.

Just on the Desktop tab in the Display Properties dialog box, you have to click on Customize Desktop.

As you will see Desktop Items dialog box, just try to choose the icon you need to change and then click on Change Icon. The Change Icon dialog box will open, which will display you all icons in the recent selected file. In this, you need to specify as what icons are displayed at the desktop by default. I choosed the My Computer, My Documents, and Recycle Bin icons for changing from default to new one.

To select from icons not currently displayed, click Browse, and in the Change Icon dialog box, navigate to the icons you downloaded, select the icon you want to use, click Open, and then click OK

Just inside Desktop Items dialog box, choose the next icon you need to change and repeat steps 3–4.

As you finished modifying the icons listed, just click on OK, and inside the Desktop Properties dialog box, click on OK in order to apply the changes.

• Customizing Folder Icons:

1. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Customize tab, click Change icon.
    3. In the Change Icon dialog box, click Browse, navigate to the new icon you want to use, select it, and then click Open.
    4. Click OK, and then click OK again to apply the change.

• Customizing Shortcut Icons:

1. Right-click the shortcut you want to customize, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Shortcut tab, click Change Icon.
    3. In the Change Icon dialog box, click Browse, navigate to the new icon you want to use, select it, and then click Open.
    4. Click OK, and then OK again to apply the change.

• Customizing Quick Launch Bar Icons:

1. Right-click the Quick Launch icon you want to change, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Shortcut tab, click Change Icon.
    4. Click OK, and then click OK again to apply the change.

• Customizing File-Type Icons:

Files with a common file extension such as .doc, .html, etc are the type of same file type. The icons for such file types are actually not accessible personally, but it is possible to change them.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
    2. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the File Types tab.
    3. Select the file type you wish to change, and then click Advanced.
    4. In the Edit File Type dialog box, click Change Icon.
    5. In the Change Icon dialog box, click Browse, and navigate to the new icon you want to use, select it, and then click Open.
    6. Click OK, and then click Close.

• Change the Desktop Background:

Select a standard location in order to save the images as similar like with custom icons. For instance, Create a folder named Wallpaper in the My Pictures folder in My Documents. Download images, and save them to this folder.

Now that you consists of few images to choose from, change the desktop background:
    1. Open the folder you just created in which to store your images.
    2. Select an image to use as a desktop background.
    3. In the Picture Tasks pane, click Set as desktop background.
    4. Both screen savers and sound effects can be customized easily as well. However, it's not something I normally do, so I haven't covered how to make those changes here. I actually find it annoying if my computer makes noise every time I do something. As for screen savers, well, I just don't care since when a screen saver is on, I'm not there to see it.

• Save Theme:

As you are completed iwth making customized desktop,you dodnot need to lose the changes. It's very easy to save all the settings and apply again that theme.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Change the computer's theme.
    2. In the Display Properties dialog box, next to the theme menu, click Save as.
    3. Enter a new name and click Save.

You can save the theme any place you'd like. For instance, you might make a Themes folder in your My Documents folder and save it there. That's all there is to it.