Thread: How to install Huawei EC168c USB Modem on desktop/laptop

How to install Huawei EC168c USB Modem on desktop/laptop

1. Pls insert Huawei EC168c USB Modem in USB port of desktop/laptop. Installation wizard will appear as shown below. Click on ‘Next’ to continue.

2. If installation wizard doesn’t appear automatically then please click on My Computer icon on desktop. You will be able to see new drive “Mobile Connect” as shown below. Double click on this icon or right click on it and click on “Auto Run” to start the installation wizard which is shown above.

3. In the next screen you will get the license agreement window as shown below. Please click on ‘I AGREE’ button to continue.

4. Select location where you want to install the drivers then press ‘next’ to continue. In case, you want to install the drivers in default location then directly press ‘Next’ to continue.

5. Pls select the folder in start menu where program shortcut will be installed. Click ‘Install’ to install the dialer and drivers of Huawei EC168c Modem.

Re: How to install Huawei EC168c USB Modem on desktop/laptop

6. Once you press ‘install’ as shown above. Installation of drivers will begin. It is automated installation where you don’t need to do anything manually. Installation progress is shown in 2 illustrations below.

7. Click finish to complete the installation of Huawei EC168c USB Modem dialer.

8. After clicking on finish button, you will be able to see several notifications in status bar which indicates the progress of driver and port configuration. Illustrations are shown below which will appear on status bar one after another.

9. If after clicking on finish, you don’t get the notifications as shown above then you won’t be able to see the network signals also on the dialer. In that case, go to “device manager” (either through control panel or by right clicking on My Computer icon and select properties. In properties dialog box, click on hardware tab and then click on device manager button). In device manager, click on modem tree, you will be able to see the “Huawei Mobile Connect – 3G Modem” with exclamation mark as highlighted below.

10. Right click on “Huawei Mobile Connect – 3G modem” and select update driver option as shown below. This will initiate the driver and port configuration and you will be able to see the notification “Your new hardware is installed and ready to use” in status bar.

11. Once installation is complete. Click on Reliance Netconnect icon which is created on your desktop to open the dialer as shown below.

12. Activating Huawei HSD USB Modem, Pls click on Activation Tab and dial *228 for activation.

13. To configure username and password, Click on settings icon as shown below. Here you can create a new profile by clicking on New Button or click on Edit button to edit the current profile. In either case, pls insert the username and password which is same as your HSD Modem MDN(10 digit no starting with ‘93’).

14. Huawei EC168c HSD USB modem supports both CDMA 1x & HSD network. It has three modes of functioning as mentioned below :

i. HSD – When HSD mode is selected; Huawei EC168c will latch to HSD network only. It won’t latch to CDMA 1x network even if it is available. When customer is mobile and if he moves from HSD to CDMA 1x network area then data call would be disconnected since he won’t get any network. Again when he moves in HSD network area, he would receive the HSD network.

ii. CDMA 1x – When CDMA 1x mode is selected; Huawei EC168c will latch to CDMA 1x network only. It won’t latch to HSD network even if it is available.

iii. Hybrid (both HSD and CDMA1x) – When Hybrid mode is selected; Huawei EC168c will latch to HSD network first if it is available. If HSD network is not available then it will automatically latch to CDMA 1x network. When customer is mobile and if he moves from HSD to CDMA 1x network area then soft handover will take place from HSD network to CDMA 1x network without disconnecting data call and vice-versa when he again moves to HSD network area from CDMA 1x.

sad Re: How to install Huawei EC168c USB Modem on desktop/laptop

But this is not working in vista ultimate. service pack is not installed.

No range is showing and not able to connect after installation.

But is working in Xp sp2.

What to do in vista? Any vista drivers or dialers for this huawei ec168c model?

I hv Vista.. works pfectly fine... im very happy with this.

Tested on Vista Home Premium (32 bit) and XP SP2.

hi ....

i am also using vista home premium 32 Bit!! i am having the same problem of installing the EC168C 3G modem !!!

one thing i have notice in ur post dat ur using the SP2 and i have SP1 all i need is dat from where i can download the SP2 for my Vista Home Premium??

SP2 Might solve my problem !!

Cheers
    ZeeMoo

Infact i have search abt Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit SP2 !!
    i am not be able to find is !! make sure are u using the SP2 ???
    coz i am confused abt SP2, Microsoft Launch SP1 in Home Premium !!!

hey but one more thing i know that its working fine on Winxp SP1 and Sp2 but my problem is remain the same dat!!! if ur using the Home Premium so who'd u install the 3G Modem Driver !!

its only Detect the Mass Storage but unable to detect the Modem !! even i have search the Modem through Device Manager isn't even show me the uninstalled HUAWEI Modem !!! if Laptop is not detecting the Modem so how can we install the Modem Driver !!

unsure Re: How to install Huawei EC168c USB Modem on desktop/laptop

I have the very same problem. I have two laptops, one official and one personal, both running WinXP SP2. However, my personal laptop detected the USB modem without any problem, but the official laptop detected only the USB storage and doesn't detect my USB-modem after installation.

I suspect some Registry entry changes. I've browsed through Google, without any results so far. Any bright ideas would really help!

idea Re: How to install Huawei EC168c USB Modem on desktop/laptop

Friends,

I've finally got my Reliance NetConnect 3g working on my laptop. For those of you on the background - I had an issue with the USB modem not being "detected" on completion of the installation.

Symptoms -
    This issue is known to occur when the USB storage devices are disabled in certain laptops due to company policies, or by restrictive software. Even though, they are enabled manually by editing the registry, this issue about not detecting the modem persists!
    So, Only the USB storage part of the NetConnect modem is detected; and not as a USB modem.

Solution -
    1. Plugin the Reliance NetConnect Modem and allow it to be detected as a USB storage device.
    2. Complete the installation with the CD or through the software provided in the USB storage. Ensure that you dont have any other USB storage devices connected. If so, remove them now.
    3. Now if the 3G-modem is not detected, then read on...
    4. Open DeviceManager (MyComputer-->Properties-->Hardware-->Device Manager)
    5. Expand the branch Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see USB Mass Storage Device.
    6. Right-click on the device and choose Uninstall and confirm the message by choosing OK. The device will then be uninstalled.
    7. Now click on Menu: Action-->Scan for Hardware changes. The modem and the storage should now be detected!

Verification -
    Once completed, you can start the Reliance NetConnect software and then you should see the Signal on the left-bottom corner on the main-screen.

Tested Configuration -
    HP Compaq Core2 Laptop running WinXp SP3

Let me know if this sorted out your issue, so that this can be useful for other folks.

Thanks,
    Prakash

idea Re: How to install Huawei EC168c USB Modem on desktop/laptop

Zeemoo,

Had a similar issue, sorted it out on WinXP. See my post at the bottom of this chain. Try it and let us know..

Hi Prakash,
    I am having exactly the same problem.
    However after completing all the steps mentioned in ur mail, still the USB modem is being detected as a mass storage device and i can see the entry in CD/DVD DOM device listing, than the modem listing.
    Can u pls suggest some further troubleshooting

Regards

Hi yuktimakkar,
    i thinks you have same problem as i have, i have win xp 64x fro which there are no dirvers for ec168c ..
    can some one please tell where can i find that..??

Download Huawei EC168c USB Modem on desktop/laptop drivers on your computer.

hay, thanks for reply i will let you know how it works..