Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Create a system recovery disk in Windows 7

Re: Create a system recovery disk in Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by nabanitkalita View Post
    System Recovery discs can be created by going to the Recovery Center of the system. The whole process takes 4 DVDs and about 1 hour. In case you have some problem with your system, with the help of the recovery disks, you can go back to the original state of the system when it was brand new. All the problems will be solved for sure, but the data will be lost. So, care must be taken to take a backup.
    I just bought a new laptop and I attempted to follow this but all it does it create a (basically) blank disk with the title "Repair disc Windows 7 64-bit". Is there a step im missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by tombo1010 View Post
    I just bought a new laptop and I attempted to follow this but all it does it create a (basically) blank disk with the title "Repair disc Windows 7 64-bit". Is there a step im missing here?
    Follow the below steps to create a system repair disc

1. Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

2. In the left pane, click Create a system repair disc, and then follow the steps. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note
    If you're prompted to insert a Windows installation disc, it means that the files needed to create the system repair disc can't be found on your computer. Insert a Windows 7 installation disc.

angry Re: Create a system recovery disk in Windows 7

Yes, that little "NOTE:" is what is frustrating me. It does say "Insert Installation Disk" for Windows, but I think we all know that there are no installation disks that accompany computer purchases these days... Unless I had upgraded, which I did not, I was a good little girl and waited, not-so-patiently until Win 7 came out.

So, now that I have created my recovery disks they are virtually useless as I don't have that installation disk....anything else I can do? I am wanting to completely redo my computer to the day I got it. I don't care about loss of info at this point, just want to be able to use my computer.

I believe it is a Windows error (I believe an "unknown rundll" error is preventing my system from running properly-extremely slow lag times-3 mins to open control panel!!!) but can't do much about that.

Hi sumkoolskool,

That is probably the result of malware so do an extremely thorough check and when the system is clean see the next message to remove that error. Download malwarebytes and scan with it, run MRT, and add Prevx to be sure it is gone. (If Rootkits run UnHackMe) Download - SAVE - go to where you put it - Right Click on it - RUN AS ADMIN

Malwarebytes - free
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Run the Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool

Start - type in Search box -> MRT find at top of list - Right Click on it - RUN AS ADMIN.

You guys might want to update your guide.

Basically the discs were unbootable.

nice easy to create now..

i have forgot to create a system recovery disk ,and its been 3months and i have taken all my files backup to a external drive ,can i create the system recovery disk now ,i mean after 3 months ... please let me know

Thanks in advance
    Ram

i have forgot to create a system recovery disk ,and its been 3months and i have taken all my files backup to a external drive ,can i create the system recovery disk now ,i mean after 3 months ... please let me know

Thanks in advance
    Ram
    Edit/Delete Message
    Yes you can surely create it now as well, there should not be any issue.

Thanks will try and see if it work well and good else i need to order them online
    just one more question
    Do i need to take the backups and do the restore or not and how many dvds are required to create the restore dvd if any idea please ........

Thanks will try and see if it work well and good else i need to order them online
    just one more question
    Do i need to take the backups and do the restore or not and how many dvds are required to create the restore dvd if any idea please
    Yes it will be good if you have the backup on the machine and then go for the system recovery and as far as the number of cd is concerned it just depends on the size of the c drive.

I rely on Acronis for that. I found this tool very effective in backup and recovery thing. It restores everything. Only issue with recovery process is that it copies entire C drive which all current softwares which consumes more storage space. But that is not less for recovery. I had restored my system a number of time and all worked well. Acronis has number of other features that you can use to tune up your system.

I am using Norton Ghost for last 2 years and never faced a failure. I kept a partition in Windows. Around 10GB dedicated for the image file. So whenever I face issue, I have a image bootable disc. I boot from that and restore the stored image file. It takes hardly 15 to 20 minutes to get the entire system back. It is a very nice feature and easy to use. Windows 7 too has inbuilt option for that. And that too is really very effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12