Thread: High Definition television HDtv

High Definition television HDtv

The plasma and LCD TVs have become well popular and there quality is mostly known by people .Now it is time to take that next step in to this which host new type of TV that will take you to that high class of display, this small revolution is HD. It is truly a purchase over the long term given that everything is on "HD" now like video games, movies, camcorders, television, ..and much more.High-definition (HD) video generally refers to any video system of higher resolution than standard-definition (SD) video, most commonly at display resolutions of 1280×720 (720p) or 1920×1080 (1080i or 1080p).

SDTV and HDTV

Standard Definition Television refers to digital transmissions over 480-line resolution, either interlaced or progressive scanned formats.However, SDTV does not come close to HDTV in both visual and audio quality.With the standard definition (SD), the ideal distance for watching TV was much higher than high definition (about 2 times more).

HD comes with a higher resolution and better quality, we can bring to the screen without seeing the flaws.The 16 / 9 is also best suited to our field of vision sizes larger diagonal can be achieved.The distance between the TV viewer moves to a maximum of 3 times the size of the diagonal.

Understand HDTV

High-definition television (HDTV) is a digital television broadcasting system with higher resolution than traditional television systems.Due to some miss concept there is confusion exists but it is also easy to sort it all out. First important thing is HDTV is nothing but crt,lcd or plsma tv.

Now days two common HDTV formats in use , usually referred to as 1080i and 720p.The numbers refer to the number of horizontal lines in each frame of video. So in a 1080i signal there are 1,080 lines per frame of video, and in a 720p signal there are 720 lines per frame. The "i" and "p" indicate whether the signal is interlaced or progressive.

Interlaced and Progressive scanning

In an interlaced signal, all of the even numbered lines are transmitted in one batch, followed by all of the odd numbered lines

In a progressive signal, all lines of the frame are transmitted at once in sequence.Both of these signal formats maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio. That means the picture is 16 units in width for every 9 units in height. This is what has become known as the standard widescreen television format.

Re: High Definition television HDtv

Display Resolution

There is three HD standard formats in Europe. These formats have been established for the dissemination of HD video. The broadcasters have the choice of these formats and can switch easily from one format to another without discomfort to the viewer ,1080p format is used on the media type Blu-ray Disc (films and video games), while the 720p and 1080i occupies television.

720p

720p refers to a progrssive HDTV signal with 720 horizontal lines and an Aspect Ratio (AR) of 16:9 (1.78:1). All major HDTV broadcasting standards include a 720p format which has a resolution of 1280x720, however there are other formats.720p has a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, a vertical resolution of 720 pixels and a horizontal resolution of 1280 pixels for a total of 921,600 pixels. The frame rate (in this case equal to the refresh rate) can be either implied by the context or specified in hertz after the letter p. The five 720p frame rates in common use are 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz (or frame/s). In general, traditional PAL and SECAM countries (Europe, Australia, much of Asia, Africa, and parts of South America) are or will be using the 25p and 50p frame or field rates, whereas traditional NTSC countries (North and Central America, Japan, South Korea, Philippines) are using 24p (for movies), and 60p for high motion programming. The numbers "720" or "1080" in 720p or 1080i represent the number of verticle lines of resolution on your video display. The "720" stands for 1280x720 (displaying 921,600 pixels/dots), and "1080" stands for 1920x1080 (displaying 2,073,600 pixels/dots).

[CENTER]

1080i

1080i refers to an interlaced HDTV signal with 1080 horizontal lines and an Aspect ratio of 16:9 (1.78:1).The term usually implying a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels and a frame resolution of 1920 × 1080 or about 2.07 million pixels. All major HDTV broadcasting standards include a 1080i format which has a Resolution of 1920x1080.1080i is a high-definition television (HDTV) video mode.

The field rate of 1080i is typically 60Hz for NTSC countries (such as United States, Canada and Japan) or 50Hz for PAL/SECAM countries (such as in Europe, Australia, much of Asia, Africa). Because of this the two most common frame rates are 30 frames per second or 25 frames per second.1080i is directly compatible with CRT-based HDTV sets. 1080i is compatible with newer 720p- and 1080p-based televisions but must be deinterlaced first in order to be displayed on those sets.

1080p

The number "1080" represents 1,080 lines of vertical resolution (1080 horizontal scan lines),while the letter p stands for progressive scan (meaning the image is not interlaced). 1080p can be referred to as full HD or full high definition to differentiate it from other HDTV video modes.The term usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels. This creates a frame resolution of 1920×1080, or 2,073,600 pixels in total. The frame rate in hertz can be either implied by the context or specified after the letter p (or i), such as 1080p30, meaning 30 Hz.

To achieve 1080p quality you will need a video source offering 1080i or 1080p and an HDTV that is 1080p capable. Video sources offering 1080p are Blu-ray disc players, HD-DVD players, Microsoft's XBox 360, SONY's PS3 as well as 1080i content that can be up-converted (de-interlaced) to 1080p. De-interlacing 1080i content to 1080p content is done using a process called "3:2 pulldown reversal" and will work as long as the original video signal was not overly filtered. The best cables used to connect these sources to your HDTV will depend on the product's feature

FACT

The fact is that both 1080i and 720p are great HDTV formats that look a lot better than standard television. Both formats are being broadcast by the major networks today. Many new home theater projectors have native 1280x720 LCD panels. These are built expressly for the purpose of displaying HDTV 720p without needing to compress it or expand it.However, some wouldn't, because when they get a 1080i signal these projectors still need to compress the 1920x1080 information into their native 1280x720 displays. similar low apply for 1080i to go on 1080p which called de-interlaced.

Here for tv and recorders the aspect is different like 720p is better for rapid motion sports like football and soccer as 1080i camera captures only 540 lines at a time, the actual resolution of 1080i when the subject is in motion is only 540 lines, not 1080.720p is a progressive-scan format that should deliver a smoother image that stays sharper during motion. so for television talk the 1080p will provide the most best quality.720p is much more flexible for people with cost also.

For high definition the difference between resolutions becomes much more difficult to appreciate.Using the same 1080i source material for different hdtv it was extremely difficult for to see any difference. It becomes even more difficult at smaller screen sizes , farther with seating distances.720p has a better cooling, providing a better flow (ideal for action movies, sports). In 1080i, the image has a better definition and therefore a better quality (ideal for documentaries).The 1080p offers simply the best at all times.

HD ready and Full HD

Another confusing problem is HD ready ,but it is high definition pictures which does not contain a built-in HDTV tuner. It means that the equipment can show you High Definition pictures broadcast by the TV and satellite channels, hard drive video recorders, DVD players and games consoles but it can not directly fed with hd source .The main advantage is of course that it is considerably cheaper. The biggest disadvantage is that you will need a box to convert the signals.

In most shop sticker appears on HDTVs which feature FullHD. The full HD is come with 1080p with superb video quality. It dont require tuner to receive the signals.

How to Choose your Ideal HDTV

Most of the HDTVs today are able to support 720i/720p/1080i/1080p signals. So the single most important spec that we should be looking for when choosing a HDTV is the screen resolution.you can choose your hdtv according to your video source .

HD source signal resolution
    720i - 1280x720 interlaced
    720p - 1280x720 progressive scan
    1080i - 1920×1080 interlaced
    1080p - 1920×1080 progressive scan

It is not best that always go for Full HD 1080p HDTVs with 1920x1080 resolution instead of HD Ready 720p HDTVs which has lesser resolution if money is not issue.While buying most important thing try to keep your budget at good level. Full HD is more costly you can effort ready hd with less budget

Old standard

It is an old standard (adopted on 01/12/08) identical to the European standard but without HD TV Tuner TNT HD.

Conclusion:

You can display HD TV, broadcast films your HD player and enjoy your game console HD.
    However, you do not get the quintessence of a 1080p source and you have to buy an external HD decoder TNT to take advantage of this source.

Official Standard

This standard is used to identify TVs incorporating TNT HD decoder and characterized by 4 criteria:

A connector YUV analog and one digital DVI or HDMI HDCP compliance standard.
    • Video resolution of 720p or 1080i.
    • A slab capable of displaying 720 lines on the vertical axis (no regulation on the horizontal axis)
    • A larger than the 4 / 3, ie wide-format (16 / 9).

Conclusion:
    The HD TV allows you to receive the programs TNT and TNT HD. However, a 1080p HD source will be scaled to be distributed.
    An HD TV avoids buying a TNT external decoder.

note

This designation is commercial, it was invented by the manufacturers before the official label "HD TV 1080p" to discern the TV with a vertical resolution of 1080 pixels. But the process "p" or "i" is not specified, as the connectors used and the mode support 24p .

Old standard

It is an old standard (adopted on 01/12/08) identical to the European standard HD 1080p TV Tuner but TNT HD.

Conclusion:
    A 1080p HDTV Ready to disseminate the very best signal.

Simply connect an external HD decoder TNT meets the standard "HD TV" to get the same thing as standard "1080p HD TV."

note

This designation is manufacturers continue label "Full HD" their products.
    We must therefore check that the connection or HDMI or DVI and supports HDCP protection protocol. Also make sure that the slab has a minimum resolution of 1920x1080 pixels with a progressive display ( "p").
    In the end, it is better to rely on the real logo.

Official Standard
    This standard is used to identify TVs incorporating TNT HD decoder and characterized by 4 criteria:

• A connector YUV analog and one digital DVI or HDMI HDCP compliance standard.
    • Video resolution of 720p or 1080p.
    • A slab capable of displaying at least 1920x1080 pixels.
    • A larger than the 4 / 3, ie wide-format (16 / 9).

The frequency of 24 Hertz "24p" is also supported (frequency of shooting movies).

Conclusion:
    This is the standard to adopt if you want a TV capable of receiving and distributing HDTV in a minimum resolution of 1920x1080 pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by cute_girl View Post
    Very Useful Info!!
    Very Nice Info!!