Thread: Intel Core i7 Overclocking

Intel Core i7 Overclocking

Introduction

The processor is in the market since 2008 and is already renowned for its excellent overclocking capabilities. We are talking today about the overclocking of the Core i7 processors from Intel. The high-end processors to take on the Phenom processors from AMD. But with the overclocking of this is still a little different than in the past with older processors! The tutorial gives you the basic skills for the Core i7 stepping till the end.

Requirements

Of course there are a number of things needed for the Core i7 to overclock. The obvious components are included in the list.

Asus P6T Deluxe X58 motherboard

After you have determined to overclock Core i7 system, you can go forward to read this guide. It must be said that the results after using this tutorial for anyone can be different and can lead to error. In addition to everything, read it quietly and not to act hastily. Also make sure that your BIOS is up-to-date, unless you experience any problems. A virus or bad Windows installation can also throw a spanner in the attempt of the overclocking of your system.

Core i7 Overclocking - Overclocking BIOS (Part I)

Overclocking BIOS (Part I)

The overclocking of older computers was relatively easy to increase the Front Side Bus (FSB) and multiplied by the multiplier. This was the main frequency achieved what it's all about. For example, an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 are 3000MHz obtained by the following simple calculation:

Multiplier x FSB = clock frequency

Or in the case of the E8400:

9 x 333 = 3000

3000 in the above calculation is completed, some motherboards continue the additional 0.5 MHz FSB, just slightly faster than the competition so that there is even more true than 3000MHz.

The same calculations can also be made for the memory. Furthermore, they are not clear multipliers in the form of a figure, although this is to count is. Standard memory is 1:1. This multiplied by the FSB, the actual memory speed. Choosing from another divider allows for a lower speed (divider / lower setting in bios).

The bios of P6T Deluxe including explanation

Bclk

Bclk stands for Base clock, roughly translated, this would amount to base speed. The overclocking of the Core i7 is using the Bclk, only the more expensive Core i7 965 has a free multiplier upwards, that the frequency could be raised.

Unlike the traditional way of overclocking, the i7 has multiple multipliers for the CPU to overclock. The base is also clock frequency for the processor with the FSB. For the calculation we get:

Multiplier x base clock = clock speed

Or in this case:

20 x 133 = 2660

Quick Path Interface (QPI)

The QPI overclocking will have little meaning and provides only a marginal profit. The Core i7 to overclock as high as possible the multiplier should be set as low as possible. Some motherboards give a ratio as: "x36, x44, x48 ...". There are also motherboards which indicate the speed. Anyway, you choose the largest ratio or lowest rate.

CPU ratio

After you have brought down QPI-multiplier, it will be important to find out what the highest stable Bclk of the motherboard and processor. To be able to determine there will be half the multiplier that should be brought down. It is the processor "multiplier" for example, the Core i7 920 can then be put "14x". In addition to the processor, the motherboard can also be a good contribution to a better cooler on the clock Bclk. Therefore I recommend strongly to confirm a better cooler than the standard Intel cooler.

After we have brought down cpu multiplier, we also have to check the memory speed on a back burner to make it not have the burden.

Uncore multiplier

Think you had to have everything? No, unfortunately there is a multiplier that should be brought down. It is the "multiplier Uncore". The uncore clock controls the speed of the memory controller and L3 cache. Set the multiplier of two times your memory speed (800MHz memory clock = 1600MHz Uncore).

After you have done all this you increase the Bclk. Most people will be around 180 to 210 out. Testing of the stability on the following pages to bid.

Core i7 Overclocking - Overclocking BIOS (Part II)

Overclocking BIOS (Part II)

Once you've found Bclk the maximum we can go to maximize speed. I recommend starting with the memory. We have all settings except for the multiplier of the memory and Bclk.

Turn the Bclk at 133 and the memory multiplier to default (or higher if you have memory clock). Now increase the Bclk steps and test each memory with a program like memtest 86+.

Megahertz hard count

Now to the most important of all, the processor clock rate. To begin, we all back on the back burner so that we do not burden it. We now know the maximum cpu and bclk frequency and it is a question of trying. That could be a very tedious and time consuming, so it is advisable to be here to take.

Set the maximum frequency multiplier (965 excluded) and raise the Bclk again with steps to not more stable. When you've got the processor stable you can start the clock to uncore something in order to improve the memory performance (6GB> has more benefits than <6GB). Again you can do this by simply bringing up the multiplier to your notice that the system no longer boot / stable.

Voltages

The reasonable overclock experienced might already have noticed, but there is nothing so far about voltages. That's right, that story is now.

Increase Bclk stability

There will come a point that the Bclk not higher. Increasing he VTT voltage (Asus calls it QPI / DRAM) should ensure that it improves.
    Maximum value: 1.35 ~ 1.4 V

Increase Memory stability

In addition to the voltage you can of course also loosen up the timings of your memory a little. The voltage of the memory, in the X58 no more than 1.65 V. There are many people who claim that the entry of the VTT 0.5V must be safe. So at 1.4 V, the VTT DRAM voltage 1.9 V.
    Maximum value: 1.65 ~ 1.66 V

Increase Processor stability

Increase the vCore as little as possible, the Core i7 is shockingly warmer when fully charged. The increase in small steps is the best and gives the best result. Sometimes, there is no sense in raising because the temperature is often too high.
    Maximum value: 1.25 V, or 1.35 ~ 1.4 V with good air

Core i7 Overclocking - Stability testing

Stability testing

Test Software

The programs used for testing are:
    • MemTest86 +
    • CPU-Z
    • Prime95
    • Real Temp

For the stability test use any of the above programs. Memtest 86 turn without your Windows startup and use the memory stability test. Prime95 can be used for the processor and memory at the same time to test.

Immediately after the launch of Windows you need to load CPU-Z. If CPU-Z shows the correct values start Prime95 and let them run with eight workers at a time. Choose the option for "maximum heat generation. Prime is particularly suited to see if the system is stable for daily use. Let prime95 fifteen minutes every time you turn to the maximum speed does have found. Turn prime95 less than an hour, but rather one or four hours to see if your system is stable.

Meanwhile, the temperatures can be monitored using Real Temp. I recommend to the temperatures 24/7-test among the 85 ~ 90 degrees and holding.

Results?

Of course I am very curious to know how you have put it off. Not all real tricks are covered in this tutorial. If you think C-state, HyperThreading, SpeedStep etc. I have the basic treatment. Want to know more than I invite you to the forum.

On our forum we have a number of topics where you can post overclocking results. Are you not a member and you still want your score with us or you just have a question!