Thread: Configure Windows XP Ethernet Connection

Configure Windows XP Ethernet Connection

• First: Make sure the network cord fits snug in the wall jack and in the network card itself.
    • Second: With your computer on and cord plugged in, check to make sure a green light is lit up on the back of the network card. If you do not see a green light, try switching the cord with a new one.
    • Third: Make sure the network card has correct drivers loaded. If you do not know how to check your drivers, consult our web page on using the Device Manager

Configuring Your Network Settings

1. For users who are using the default view:

Click the Start button and go to Control Panel.

From the Control Panel, under Pick a catergory, click Network and Internet Connections.

From the Network and Internet Connections window, under "or pick a Control Panel icon," click Network Connections

2. For users who are using the classic view:

From Start, go to Settings, then Control Panel.

From the Control Panel, double click Network Connections icon.

Look at your Network Connections window.
    If you do not have a Local Area Connection installed, click the icon for Create a new connection under Network Tasks.

STEP 1
    1. Click on Start and highlight All Programs. Scroll up to Accessories, scroll over to Communications, and click on the New Connection Wizard.

2. This window is the New Connection Wizard. This wizard will help guide you in creating a new Ethernet connection. Click Next to proceed.

3. This window allows you to select the network connection type. By default, Connect to the Internet is already chosen for you. Click Next to proceed.

4. This window allows you to select how you would like to connect to the Internet. Click the second radio button located to the left of Set up my connection manually and click Next.

5. This window allows you to choose how your computer will physically connect to the Internet. Since you are configuring your computer for a dorm network, click Connect using a broadband connection that is always on and click Next

6. Click Finish, this will create your connection.

7. Now with your connection created, you must make sure all the settings are correct. Begin by clicking on Start and highlight All Programs. Scroll up to Accessories and scroll over to Communications and click on Network Connections .

Re: Configure Windows XP Ethernet Connection

STEP 2
    The newly-created "Local Area Connection" icon should be displayed under "Lan or High-Speed Internet." Right click the "Local Area Connection" icon, then select Properties from the dialog box.

1. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

2. The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window allows you to configure specific network settings. By default, Obtain an IP address automatically is checked and Obtain DNS server address automatically is checked. Keep these default settings and, towards the bottom of the window, click Advanced.

3. The Advanced TCP/IP Settings window opens and the IP Settings tab is opened by default. Make sure the IP addresses category reads DHCP Enabled. Now click the DNS tab

4. With the DNS opened, make sure you UNCHECK Register this connection's addresses in DNS. All other settings stay the same. Next, click the WINS tab.

5. Under the WINS tab, make sure Enable LMHOSTS lookup is checked and that Default is checked under the NetBIOS setting. Click OK to save changes and exit Advanced TCP/IP Settings, and click OK to save changes and exit Internet Protocol <TCP/IP> Properties.

Re: Configure Windows XP Ethernet Connection

Thank you so much for doing this, it worked well for me. Could you explain to me as simply as you can why I UNCHECK Register this connection's addresses in DNS in step number 4. I just noticed on my other ethernet port (that I wanted to not use anymore) that it was checked and it worked fine. I looked around the net and couldn't catch why you would do or not do this concidering it works either way? Thanks again for the work you did in putting this up.
    CS