Thread: Install PHP on a Windows NT and Windows 2000

Install PHP on a Windows NT and Windows 2000

Installing Windows NT station (with PWS)

Get the binary win32.
    Reference site: http://www.php.net/
    Download URL: http://www.php.net/downloads.php

1. Unpack the archive to a directory that will be the installation directory (eg c: \ php4).

2. Copy the file php4ts.dll (msvcrt.dll and if not already) in a directory located in the path (a good idea to put it in the system folder "c: \ winnt \ system32" For example, if "c: \ winnt" is your installation directory)

3. Edit in the notepad file PWS-php4.reg to put the real path to the php interpreter (php.exe php4isapi.dll or whether you've chosen to run as an interpreter cgi external web server or as a module isapi web server).
    Attention! In the path to enter all the anti-slashes should be doubled; example:
    C:\\PHP4\\php4isapi.dll

4. Double-click on the PWS-php4.reg amended to save the information in the registry. As a result, the web server will know what to call interpreter when he will see the extension ". Php" (default extension in version 4 of PHP).

5. Place your PHP scripts in the directory you've chosen on your machine and test your new installation.

For access to databases, the installation of ODBC must be properly made elsewhere. We encountered a problem on a machine, due to improper installation of ODBC, precisely. The trap was that the PWS server froze no explanation is given. If you use ODBC to access databases and your web server freezes at each call to an ODBC, see how we have tracked and resolved the problem below.

When you use ODBC to access databases, if the web server at each plant uses a type of database in a php script, then try to run the script from a command window.

Example:
    C:\php4>php drive:\path\access\to\script.php

It was then that may be the failure that kills.

If we had not tried to interpret the php script directly from the command line we would not have seen this dialog box and never understood why the web server was set to call the script.
    Note: This might be true if one was called by php.exe PWS instead of using the dll. A check ...

If we cancel the dialog above, it gets a second message.

Repairing a damaged ODBC mixtures of versions is not necessarily easy by natural ways. The successive attempts to uninstall, reinstall may not led to anything, I used a technique which has been diverted wonder but might not be advisable in all cases:

I searched odbc *.* on all disks in the machine
    I spotted in the window of response directory whose files had set the dates for the most recent creation
    I selected and copied to c:\winnt\system32

It is not very orthodox, but in my case, the result was excellent.

Re: Install PHP on a Windows NT and Windows 2000

Installing Windows 2000 with IIS
    Preliminary tests were made on a Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 server.

Get the binary win32.
    Reference site: http://www.php.net/
    Download URL: http://www.php.net/downloads.php

1. Unpack the archive to a directory that will be the installation directory (eg c: \ php4).

2. Copy the file php4ts.dll (msvcrt.dll and if not already) in a directory located in the path (a good idea to put it in the system folder "c: \ winnt \ system32" For example, if "c: \ winnt" is your installation directory).

3. Launch manager computer services and applications, web services (IIS).

4. Right-click on the Default Web Site "and choose" Properties ".

5. Click on the "base directory".

6. Click on "Settings ...".

7. Click on the Add button in the dialog box and enter the full path of the interpreter (whether or php4ts.dll php.exe), the associated file xtension (here. "Php"), check box "Verify the existence of the" to be safe, if you do not have a performance problem.

When asked why prefer CGI (php.exe) or ISAPI (php4ts.dll), several elements of response:
    • The authors themselves seem more confident about the stability of php.exe the ISAPI module.
    • Personally I am not yet ascended up and test I had no problem with the ISAPI module.
    • In testing the configuration of php (modified php.ini) the CGI is better because each call, a new instance is created and php.exe read php.ini.
    • Changes in behavior are immediately observable. We do not have to restart the Web server every time.
    • Once made this development, I would personally choose the ISAPI dll, because it is only one instance regardless of the number of complaints (among other criteria)
    • However much I monitor my machine and if I unexplained crashes back to CGI to see if that solves the problems.

8. Click OK to confirm this dialog. There is a new line.

9. Click OK again, then again another time.

10. If you want to specify a different behavior default php.ini should be located in the Windows system directory is c: \ winnt \, for example.

11. If you just want to secure your server, you put the scripts in directories, which, as manager of Internet services, you remove the right to lecture. Attention, I do not have NTFS.

12. Able to read NTFS must remain, at least for people deemed to have access to scripts in question, IUSR_ nom_de_machine if such access is limited to users of the web. Obviously that can do more can do less and IUSR_ nom_de_machine could be replaced by "everyone" or "Authenticated Users". But if you manage directories neighbors, with several independent and webmasters with FTP, you'll probably notice preferably using IUSR_ nom_de_machine. This to avoid having to create multiple virtual directories of sites, without allowing every webmaster looking scripts neighbor. Each webmaster is part of the groups' everyone "and" Authenticated Users "but none can impersonate IUSR_ nom_de_machine.

For access to databases, the installation of HBO must be properly made elsewhere. Personally I opted for MySQL. MySQL support in PHP is a native.