Thread: How to Reset HP Photosmart Printers

How to Reset HP Photosmart Printers

Introduction
    Resetting the printer can resolve several issues that may emerge. All the steps in the two sections below must be followed completely and in order for these resets to work.

Performing a soft reset
    A soft reset, also known as an Electrical reset, can be used to restore the printer to a ready condition when a cartridge, paper, or other printing issues occur. This reset method should be used for the HP Photosmart 100, 130, 145, 230 and 245 printers. Perform a hard reset for all other HP Photosmart printer models.

1. Disconnect any USB cables attached to the printer and remove any memory cards from drive bay.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Unlock the ink cartridge locking clips.

4. Remove all ink cartridges.

5. Lock down the ink cartridge locking clips.

6. Close the main printer door

7. Turn the printer off with the Power button and wait for the printer to shut
      down before proceeding to step 8.

8. Unplug the printer AC adapter from the printer and the wall outlet or surge protector.
      NOTE: The adapter itself has an overload trip that may need resetting, but will not reset if power is flowing to it.
    9. Wait approximately fifteen to forty-five seconds to allow all current to dissipate from printer.

10. Re-plug only the AC adapter into the wall outlet then into the printer, but
      do not plug in the USB cable.

11. Wait for the appropriate missing ink cartridge error to verify that printer
      can recognize this error.

12. Re-insert one ink cartridge only, to minimize confusion in case one of the cartridges is defective, and print an internal test page.

13. If no errors are found, insert the other ink cartridge(s) and ensure that they are functioning by performing internal test pages or calibration pages. If an error occurs due to a defective cartridge, perform the appropriate steps for Resolving Ink Cartridge Rejections.

14. After returning to the main Windows screen, reconnect the USB cable to the computer then to the printer.

15. Test for printer functionality.

Re: How to Reset HP Photosmart Printers

Performing a hard reset
    A hard, or mechanical, reset is performed when the printer is in a condition where its normal printing process is interrupted. Examples include a paper jam, carriage stall, or mechanical noise. To perform a mechanical hard reset, follow the steps below.

1. Disconnect any USB cables attached to the printer and remove any memory cards from drive bay.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Remove any paper from the paper tray.

4. Unlock the ink cartridge locking clips.

5. Remove all printer ink cartridges.

6. Lock down the ink cartridge locking clips.

7. Close the main printer door.

8. Turn off the printer using the power button and wait for the printer to
      shut down before proceeding to step 9.

9. Unplug the power from the back of the printer.

10. Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet.

11. Remove the rear access door.

12. Locate the clutch inside the printer.

The clutch is located in the same place as pictured above in Figure 1, however, you must access it from the left, just above the paper output tray.
    13. Press the clutch firmly towards the back of the printer, while rolling the wheels in the back of the printer upward two full rotations.

14. Release the clutch and roll the wheels up two more rotations.

15. Locate and then roll the internal rollers in an upward direction until a clicking sound is heard.

16. Reinstall and lock the rear access door.

17. Connect the power adapter to a wall outlet.

18. Reconnect the power cable to the printer.

19. Turn the printer on.

20. Re-insert the paper into the input tray.

21. Wait for the appropriate missing cartridge error to verify that the printer recognizes this error.

22. Re-insert one ink cartridge only, to minimize confusion in case one of the cartridges is defective, and print an internal test page.

23. If no errors are found, insert the other ink cartridge(s) and ensure that they are functioning by performing internal test pages or calibration pages. If an error occurs due to a defective cartridge, perform the appropriate steps for Resolving Ink Cartridge Rejections.

24. After returning to the main Windows screen, reconnect the USB cable to the computer then to the printer.

25. Test for printer functionality.

idea Re: How to Reset HP Photosmart Printers

Dear Edge

Thanks for this helpfull information. I am very impressed with your knowledge.

Can you please let me know were can i find on internet this type of information (soft/hard resets) regarding other HP printers? By model or by family/other..

In some new printers like Multifunctional Deskjets those kind of cartridge errors or blinking lights are very common.
    I have 3 different printers and I frequently have some problems regarding such issues.

If there is any way to perform resets it would be very helpfull.

Thanks very much and eaiting for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ataborda View Post
    Dear Edge

Thanks for this helpfull information. I am very impressed with your knowledge.

Can you please let me know were can i find on internet this type of information (soft/hard resets) regarding other HP printers? By model or by family/other..

Thanks very much and eaiting for your reply.
    You can easily get information on soft reset and hard resets of hp printer directly on the hp website. Normally, a soft reset clears all unsaved information from the device. If possible, save important information before resetting the device where else a hard reset will erase all data entered since the device was purchased, including all files, system settings, and programs you have installed. Erased data is not recoverable unless the device has been backed up. You can go to this website to get more information on soft and hard reset.

I am using a HP Photosmart C7280 and I dont understand how to reset this all in one printer? With this printer I am only able to print a page from the computer. The problem is that the printer crashes on the first initialize after pressing the ok buttong of photo paper? Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

You can reset that buy turning the printer off. You just have to keep it offer for some time and done. After when you plugged in back the settings are restored. Printer does not really comes with any reset button. I had seen some new printers they have a factory reset option. The one which comes with LCD panel. It will help you to instantly restore the old settings back and also remove freezed documents. So here what you can do is turn of the print and turn it on back after 15 minutes. This will wipe out the internal memory.