Thread: How to Upgrade or Install Large Hard Disk in PS3

How to Upgrade or Install Large Hard Disk in PS3

I know that right now this issue is faced by a lot of people and therefore I am going to explain you how to change your PS3's hard disk by a larger capacity drive.

The materials that we will need are:
    1. 1 2.5 SATA HDD of any size have chosen 120 GB (You must have an RPM of 5400RPM HDD for the PS3)
    2. 1 Mini Phillips screwdriver Main
    3. 1 Mini flathead screwdriver
    4. You can pick any model up to 750 GB

The first step is to find the HDD bay in your Playstation 3. It is usually situated on the left side of the console, and is marked with HDD. So you can find it fairly easily. Use your screwdriver to pop the main level of the plastic cover. You now have access to real HDD cart.

The next step is to remove the blue screw that holds the cart of the main HDD using Phillips screwdriver or any other. Once you have done this, pull the handle of the metal which is at the front of the cart, and remove the HDD to the front. Once you've done, you can remove the HDD tray.

Once you have access to the tray outside the PS3, you can take out the 4 screws holding the HDD to its original Playstation 3 HDD and swap your original with the new 2.5''SATA HDD.

Once the new HDD you want to put inside is ready, you should push it inwards to have a good coupling. Once you have done this, the final step is to use its principal, Phillips screwdriver to insert the screw and then hook the blue cart from the HDD to the Playstation 3. Put the plastic cover and turn on the console.

After turning on the console, the PS3 will detect that the HDD is not set to its original form, and will ask if you want to adjust the format. You must select yes twice, it will get prepared to destroy all data.

Once you set the format of the HDD, it takes less than 2 minutes and then the unit will ask you to restart the PS3. Once you have done this, you can go to the menu, adjusting the PS3 OS. Then choose system settings, and finally system information. There you will see a display of the HDD space on your console. If you've done everything correctly, you will see that the space reflects the amount of HDD space for the new HDD. Keep in mind that about 15 to 20 GB of space for the PS3 is used by the system, so do not be alarmed.

Caution: 15-20GB needs the Playstation3 for the system. In addition, the drive also needs more space for themselves.

You have YOUR HARD DRIVE NEW SUCCESS BUILT!

I am not liable for any damages.

Re: How to Upgrade or Install Large Hard Disk in PS3

The use of standard parts is one of the few things sony actually got right with the ps3, and I hope other systems follow suit.

But in all honesty, what in the hell do you need a bigger hard drive for? My 360 has NEVER gotten below 5 gigs of space.

To my knowledge after missing the 40GB version of the chip for backwards compatibility will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonBoss View Post
    To my knowledge after missing the 40GB version of the chip for backwards compatibility will be required.
    it lacks lacks the software on the chip
    It would be missing the chip could also not play PS1 games
    larger hard drive brings nothing except more memory
    've 250gig HD inside

Then there is still hope that I do with my 40GB then someday may play ps2 games.

Well software on chips so you can change via flash