USB keys that do not appear to be recognized?General malfunctioning USB ports?To understand precisely what is happening on your USB ports and what the system will recognize or not recognize there is a free tool handy: USBDeview ...
USBDeview is a small utility that displays a list of all USB devices currently connected or who have already been connected to your PC. For each device, the software displays useful information to help determine whether the device is well recognized, if fully recognized and its drivers are installed.The information it delivers also easier to find on the Internet drivers.
Download the software USBDeview by following this link.
Unpack the archive into a folder that you named "USBdeview"
The program requires no installation. It runs with a double-click. Under Vista, it is advisable to run the software by clicking the right button and selecting "Run as administrator".
From the start, the software displays a grid with multiple columns.Each row of the grid is a USB device currently connected or have already been connected to the PC.
The Options menu lets you specify if you want to see:
- Devices disconnected
- Devices without number ports
- Unmanned devices (a prior, these devices are in error)
- USB hubs
The columns give information on various USB devices to your computer.You must specifically monitor the following columns:
- Device name basically indicates the USB port on which the device is connected
- Description column is the most useful. It shows the detailed name of the device and in some case file. "INF" used in its recognition.
- Type of device used to check the level of recognition of the key by the system. A key or an external drive should display "mass storage".
- Disabled tells you if, for Windows, this device is enabled or disabled. A device marked as "Disabled = Yes" may be reactivated by clicking the right button and selecting "Enable Selected Devices"
- ID and ID supplier of the product are essential to find the drivers for the device through the Internet via search engines.
- Class USB can check what class is the USB device and control as has been recognized (3 = HID device / mouse / keyboard), 1 = audio, 2 = modems, 6 = scanner or camera , 7 = printer, 8 = storage device, 9 = hub). The value 0 indicates that the class should be recovered from the description field.
In case of trouble with USB devices, for example, which appears in error and does not call its driver, try the following:
Select the device from the list
- Click the right mouse button
- Click on "Disable Selected + Enable Device"
In the event of widespread problems on USB connections, if your PC no longer recognize any USB device, try the following:
- Unplug all your USB hubs and your USB devices (except keyboard / mouse)
- Under Options, select all options "Show ..."
- Then select all devices by pressing the combination [Ctrl] + [A]
- Go to the File menu and select the "Uninstall devices selected"
- Restart the PC
- Reconnect hubs and then one to one every USB device.