Thread: How to Choose a Portable Laptop / NoteBook

How to Choose a Portable Laptop / NoteBook

Introduction

The purchase of a new laptop is always an important step in life for everyone. First because it is a tool that many consider essential, because that generally involves a strong investment, a financial effort. On the one hand we want that corresponds to what we want, and secondly, that give us more features and better quality for the price more low as possible.

It was based on this need I decided to create this tutorial. The aim is that by the end of the reading of the topic, you will be capable of yourselves "gonna shoot up" the market and seek the best solutions to what you intend to.

Throughout the topic I will try to be as clear as possible and use simple language so that all can understand.

So Want a New Portable !

Before you begin to ask about the best models and brands, what are the best shops, specifications and prices, you should stop to think a little on what you want.

They must find the laptop that is suited to the tasks they want to play and not the contrary, should not go after models by just hearing that they were excellent, beautiful and wonderful.

At this stage, you have to put a series of questions on yourself (perhaps literally the point-in before starting to look):
    • How much can I spend?
    • The fate of the laptop will be staying on top of the desk, or will lead you from one place to another?
    • Do I need the laptop?
    • What kind of applications and games that I want to run on the laptop?
    • The design of the machine is important?
    • Whats the disk space I need?
    • What operating system?
    • How long I use the laptop?
    • How long you need to run the laptop battery?
    • I have some preference in terms of brand?
    • The laptop has to have some integrated/inbuilt peripherals in particular? (Webcam, card reader, ...)

Only once answered to all these questions (or a large part of them), which is clearly aware of what you look for in your new machine.
    Ready to get started!

How to Choose a Portable - Processor

Processor

It begins, then the arduous task of choosing the perfect laptop for us. One of the first elements to which one looks at the time of selecting the machine is the processor.

Quickly, the processor is the "nucleus" of a computer. It is because of 'it' that all other components "rotate". Processor is responsible for receiving all messages that are sent to the various components and process them, so that the user asks the machine to do (is a 2 +2 account or give a shot in a game), is pleased.

Obviously a person who uses the PC to see e-mails and a person who convert movies on the machine, they have very different configurations at the processor.

If I am asked a rapid classification of the segments of processors of the manufacturers, this would be how I respond:

Intel
    • X9x00 Series - high performance processors
    • Series T9x00 and T7x00 - high-performance processors
    • Tx500 Series - Processors median performance
    • Series T2x00 and below - the low-performance processors
    • Uxxxxx series - low-power processors

AMD
    • Series TL-60 to TL-50 - high-performance processors
    • Series TK-57 - Processors average performance
    • Sempron series - low-performance processors

How to Choose a Portable - RAM

RAM

In terms of memory, there is not much that you can say. Currently give preference to models that get 2GB of origin, with expandable up to 4GB.

An important note: When you buy a machine, have 2 sticks of 1GB is different from the machine have 1 stick of 2GB. Two memories from 1GB to operate in Dual-Channel have more than a performance to operate at 2GB.

Remember also that Windows XP 32bit does not support much more than 3GB of memory, and we are thinking about buying 4GB of memory for a machine with XP, forget it.

Obviously, going behind DDR2 memory (when I wrote the tutorial ), Currently operating at 667MHz.

How to Choose a Portable - Graphics Card

Graphics Card

The big "bug" from a laptop. This is a component that is outdated very quickly, you have to pay special attention when you choose your machine.

The graphics card in a laptop is usually welded to the motherboard, so the same graphics will keep acquiring your laptop until it go to waste. With this in mind, I say: buying a laptop to play is nonsense.

Another issue to consider is that the graphics share, or not, RAM. Graphic shared use RAM to store the data to be processed by the GPU, "stealing" RAM that, in other circumstances, would be allocated to any other process.

For this reason, it is always better to have a graphics card with dedicated memory in your laptop.

Now a days, this is what goes in the market:

Graphics Card with Shared Memory

This range is enough for those who do not use the PC to play.
    • NVidia Go 6150
    • ATI Xpress X1200
    • ATI Xpress X1250
    • ATI Xpress X1270
    • Intel GMA

Input Range

Ideal for those who like to play old games from time to time.
    • ATI X2300 | H2300
    • Nvidia 8400M G | GS | GT
    • ATI HD2400
    • Nvidia 9300M

Mid range

For playing games recently. However, latest games, with settings to pull, is to forget.
    • ATI X2500
    • NVIDIA 8600M GS | GT
    • ATI HD 2600
    • Nvidia 9500M GS | GT
    • ATI HD 2600XT
    • NVIDIA 8700M GT

High Range

To play everything....
    • NVIDIA 8600M GT SLI
    • NVIDIA 8700M GT SLI
    • NVIDIA 8800M GTS | GTX
    • NVIDIA 8800M GTS | GTX SLI

Obviously have not been encompassed all video cards that are currently in the market (only the most sold).

How to Choose a Portable - Screen & Battery

Screen

Another component that will affect (and much) your range of options. This is because the screen size of the laptop, usually tells us its size, weight...price. That is, its portability.

At this level there are screens with 20'', 17'', 15.4'', 14.4'', 13.3'', 12.1''.

Battery

Another key issue for those who need mobility in your machine is the autonomy of the same - the number of hours that can work on it without recourse to the shipper.

This space-time where the machine is capable of running on the battery is influenced not only by the quality of the battery, as the actual consumption of energy constituents of the various components of the machine.

Obviously, the battery also affect the autonomy. Usually we are given the opportunity to choose a Lithium-Ion battery of 6 or 9 cells. It has been that of 6 cell batteries are more compact, but have more autonomy about 30% ~ 35% lower than the batteries of 9 cells.

How to Choose a Portable - Storage

Storage

In terms of storage, there are several factors that are relevant. Currently the storage of data in non-volatile memory in PCs, is made up of magnetic disk drives that are heavy, noisy, slow to read and unreliable (it is the component on a computer more "late").

There exists a new generation of disk drives (SSD called Solide State Disks), which in essence are not more than one technology that we see in memory cards for digital cameras photographic more developed. However they are still extremely expensive and there are very few models that are already using this technology (usually found in the segment of ultra-portable).

So for now, we have to make sure with the HD. Therefore, at this moment, we have to decide what is the disk capacity (of course) and the speed of it.

They are market solutions to 5.400rpm and 7.200rpm. Discs of 7.200rpm have a higher performance in times of reading and writing, yet consume more energy, make more noise and more heat.

How to Choose a Portable - Weight

Weight

The component in a laptop that weighs more is normally the monitor. Therefore, of course, the monitor has a great influence on the final weight of the machine. Obviously, also the materials used for the chassis of the machine, greatly influence its final weight.

I personally believe that a laptop is suitable to be transported on a regular basis if you have a weight more than 2kg ~ 2.5 kg. Above this, the cost starts with the machine to go back.

In a nutshell, the rule is:
    • 13.3''or less - <2kg
    • 14.1'' - from 2 kg to 2.5kg
    • 15.4'' - from 2.5kg to 3Kg
    • 17'' - + 3.5Kg

How to Choose a Portable - Operating System

Operating System

Okay, this is important, and that process is an increasingly no longer part.
    Before you buy what you want to make sure that there are drivers for the operating system that you want to install in your machine.
    With the arrival of Vista, there are many models that never see drivers to be developed for Windows XP (for example). It is good that on one hand, safeguard the machine that already comes with a license for the system we want and that, secondly, ensure that there are drivers for other systems if you are not sure that you will not change the OS that comes by default.

How to Choose a Portable - Other Features

Other Features

Finally there is another set of characteristics to which those who purchase must be aware and that, once again, must go against the needs of that area.

I speak of Memory Card Readers, e-Sata ports, HDMI outputs \ DVI, S-video output, USB ports, WebCam, etc ...

A special warning to the network card. Those seeking a laptop, looking above all mobility. Thus, the wireless network adapter takes a very important character. Here it is necessary to find that kind of pattern of connection exists, often in places where access to the Internet: 802.b, 802.g and begins to appear to 802.n.